• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Intellectual laziness

Chloe

I struggle with this.
For example, if I have some assignment, a problem, like "how does soemthing work", and if i figure out I COULD figure it out if I invest few minutes in it, (so relatively simple logical problem -ex. i have an article how does kindey's effect blood presure) I will be content to just know I COULD figure it out, so I will leave it just out there (knowing that the answer is "out there", but really knowing only few % of that field.
It creates problems because it's often so in the end I tend to end up not knowing many things I should know, and "touching" everything superficially and nothing deep enough to know it.
So, if i see an answer out there.. i dont go for it, i know if i ever need it it'll be there..and I change focus on something else.
Also other example would be when I write 4 hours test from math. It was more creative with not many problems (Just 4), so I tend to pick from each hour around 5-10 minutes when I decide to think, and other time I just perceive and delay my thinking.
It can turn out okay but the proportion in which thinking is problematic to me is disturbing. (by thinking i dont think jungian T, neccessary.) And it's already affected my results because as I said in the end I tend to NOT know many stuff I'm convinced I know (because i figure out i could know them so i assume i know them before investing enough thought and time in them)...

Anyone else struggle with this?

The thing I noticed is that I cant change it willingly. I would be making myself miserable, forcing myself... I am searching more spontaneous solution for this.

Rainne

One day and the next
MBTI Type
ISTP
i honestly think the hard part of doing something is not the actual content itself, it's getting yourself to do it

Eckhart

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
???
Yeah, I can certainly relate to it. Very often it is enough to me to know I am able to do things, but I am too lazy to actually do them. On the other hand, I have moments where it is actually the opposite, where I really HAVE TO finish something because it challenges me.

Obviously this behavior (the first) is not always positive for me.

Aleksei

Yeah, I can fly.
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I'd say that I get lazy if I have to dig for hours into some academic paper (my ADD gets in the way), but if you're asking me to find a quick fact (like the OP example), I'll think it's fun.

P

Phantonym

Yup. I have it. Haven't found a "cure" yet, because well, yeah, you know, I have "it".

LeafAndSky

MBTI Type
ISFP
Regarding OP: Same here. In fact, I have probably the most tenuous grasp of the Myers-Briggs system of anyone on this forum. :)

However, there are strengths in how you are. Do the following apply to you?

Excellent Researcher.

Unusual Ability to Synthesize Information.

Strong Teaching Skills.

Mole

Permabanned
The thing I noticed is that I cant change it willingly. I would be making myself miserable, forcing myself... I am searching more spontaneous solution for this.

Intellectual laziness means I am just not interested.

And the solution is spontaneous interest.

But that would mean changing your whole life, from doing what you are told to doing what interests you.

And if you were to do that, you would get no external support from your parents, your peers or the institutions.

And if you are financially and emotionally dependent on your parents, or socially dependent on your peers, or dependent on institutions for validation and status, then spontaneity is not for you.

But it remains true, spontaneity is beautiful and obedience is ugly.

lunalum

Super Senior Member
MBTI Type
ZNTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
It may not be laziness as much as a subconscious realization that there is an almost-infinite amount of information to learn in a likely-finite time, and therefore one needs to be choosy about the information one chooses to look into in depth.

It is a complicated dilemma though, and one that I am still trying to figure out, but I will probably put off figuring it out for quite a while =/

Geno

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
I have the same exact problem. I just do not feel like it..

phoenix13

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w8
YES YES YES. Ne-doms tend to be horizontal thinkers, not vertical thinkers (we collect a wide range of info. instead of going deeply into any one area).

I can't get away with that anymore (school), and I'm forced to pay attention to those details. They always test those details... never the main idea, just the details that you have to dig deep to find. I HATE IT! :angry: