User Tag List

12 Last

Default Intellectual laziness

I struggle with this.
    For example, if I have some assignment, a problem, like "how does soemthing work", and if i figure out I COULD figure it out if I invest few minutes in it, (so relatively simple logical problem -ex. i have an article how does kindey's effect blood presure) I will be content to just know I COULD figure it out, so I will leave it just out there (knowing that the answer is "out there", but really knowing only few % of that field.
    It creates problems because it's often so in the end I tend to end up not knowing many things I should know, and "touching" everything superficially and nothing deep enough to know it.
    So, if i see an answer out there.. i dont go for it, i know if i ever need it it'll be there..and I change focus on something else.
    Also other example would be when I write 4 hours test from math. It was more creative with not many problems (Just 4), so I tend to pick from each hour around 5-10 minutes when I decide to think, and other time I just perceive and delay my thinking.
    It can turn out okay but the proportion in which thinking is problematic to me is disturbing. (by thinking i dont think jungian T, neccessary.) And it's already affected my results because as I said in the end I tend to NOT know many stuff I'm convinced I know (because i figure out i could know them so i assume i know them before investing enough thought and time in them)...

Anyone else struggle with this?

The thing I noticed is that I cant change it willingly. I would be making myself miserable, forcing myself... I am searching more spontaneous solution for this.

MBTI
    ISTP

i honestly think the hard part of doing something is not the actual content itself, it's getting yourself to do it

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    ???
    Socionics
    ????

Yeah, I can certainly relate to it. Very often it is enough to me to know I am able to do things, but I am too lazy to actually do them. On the other hand, I have moments where it is actually the opposite, where I really HAVE TO finish something because it challenges me.

Obviously this behavior (the first) is not always positive for me.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILE Ti

I'd say that I get lazy if I have to dig for hours into some academic paper (my ADD gets in the way), but if you're asking me to find a quick fact (like the OP example), I'll think it's fun.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Teacher (Idyllic), ESE-IEI (Si-ESFj), SLue|I|, Sanguine-Melancholy
    Sage, True Neutral (Chaotic Good), Type III Anti-Hero
    Inventive > Artistic > Leisurely > Dramatic
    7w6 > 4w3 > 9w8, weakside sp/so

Dark Worker (Sacrificing)
    Freewheeling Designer

Hayekian Asshole

Phantonym

Yup. I have it. Haven't found a "cure" yet, because well, yeah, you know, I have "it".

MBTI
    ISFP

Regarding OP: Same here. In fact, I have probably the most tenuous grasp of the Myers-Briggs system of anyone on this forum. :-)

However, there are strengths in how you are. Do the following apply to you?

Excellent Researcher.

Unusual Ability to Synthesize Information.

Strong Teaching Skills.

Quote Originally Posted by Chloee View Post
    The thing I noticed is that I cant change it willingly. I would be making myself miserable, forcing myself... I am searching more spontaneous solution for this.
    Intellectual laziness means I am just not interested.

And the solution is spontaneous interest.

But that would mean changing your whole life, from doing what you are told to doing what interests you.

And if you were to do that, you would get no external support from your parents, your peers or the institutions.

And if you are financially and emotionally dependent on your parents, or socially dependent on your peers, or dependent on institutions for validation and status, then spontaneity is not for you.

But it remains true, spontaneity is beautiful and obedience is ugly.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    -1w sp/sx
    Socionics
    IOU Ni

Quote Originally Posted by Victor View Post
    And the solution is spontaneous interest.
    hey wow my life has just made a 180 after reading this
    IN SERIO FATVITAS.

-τὸ γὰρ γράμμα ἀποκτέννει, τὸ δὲ πνεῦμα ζῳοποιεῖ-

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w6 so/sp
    Socionics
    ILE

It may not be laziness as much as a subconscious realization that there is an almost-infinite amount of information to learn in a likely-finite time, and therefore one needs to be choosy about the information one chooses to look into in depth.

It is a complicated dilemma though, and one that I am still trying to figure out, but I will probably put off figuring it out for quite a while =/

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    Wht?

I have the same exact problem. I just do not feel like it..
    "I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate. And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it."

- Jack Handey