User Tag List

123 Last

Chemisty, Biology, Astronomy and Psychology

You've enrolled in a top flight University and you have elected to study in your first year Chemistry, Biology, Astronomy and Psychology.

And in your first Chemistry class they start off with Alchemy.

And in your first Biology class they start off with Intelligent Design.

And in your first Astronomy class they start off with Astrology.

And in your first Psychology class they start off with the Myers Briggs Type Indicator (MBTI).

What would you think?

MBTI
    ESFP
    Enneagram
    9w8 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Sounds nice and alternative. I'd enjoy it.
    () 9w8-3w4-7w6 tritype.

sCueI (primary Inquisition)

Banned
    MBTI
    INTx

^ are you spying on me again via satellite, victor?

Quote Originally Posted by bcvcdc View Post
    ^ are you spying on me again via satellite, victor?
    Sure, but can you blame me? You are my favourite Bcvcdc. I read all your posts. Sometimes I worry about you and sometimes I want to talk to you.

What would I do without the satellite? And now with Google Earth I can stand at your front gate and look up the drive.

I have been a little worried about you in all the snow. But I am sure you are keeping your fingers and ears warm as you take the dogs out to play.

I expect the pond is frozen and the trees have lost all their leaves. But if you are wondering where all your leaves have gone, they have come down here and all our trees are bursting with leaves in our wonderful Autumn.

Yes, Autumn is the most delightful month in Canberra. Perfect day after perfect day. But don't think we forget you all white and snowy up in the North.

Yes, I remember you as I have my coffee and a warm, wholemeal roll every morning at the Bakery. And I remember you every time I go to the pictures at Manuka.

But next time I look down from the sky, I want to you to wave. You will wave to me as I pass overhead, won't you?

MBTI
    INTP

I would believe what they are teaching me, naturally. All I know is what I've been taught, in one form or another.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6

Quote Originally Posted by Victor View Post
    You've enrolled in a top flight University and you have elected to study in your first year Chemistry, Biology, Astronomy and Psychology.

And in your first Psychology class they start off with the Myers Briggs Type Indicator (MBTI).

What would you think?

I think my first thought would be "I hope this is all just historical context".

Bless our cotton socks.

Quote Originally Posted by rhinosaur View Post
    I would believe what they are teaching me, naturally. All I know is what I've been taught, in one form or another.
    Of course mate, that's all any of us know.

For what we have been taught is our patrimony, our inheritance.

But three thousand years ago Socrates taught us to question our heritage, and for his pains he was put to death.

So in primary and secondary school we only teach our heritage, and it is only in tertiary education do we take the risk of questioning our heritage.

But why should we take the risk?

Islam, for instance, says we can't question the heritage of the Koran because it is the unalterable word of Allah. And indeed anyone who argues with the Koran will have their heads cut off.

On the other hand Islam has not contributed one significant idea to civilization for one thousand years.

But those who question their heritage have moved us from Astrology to Astronomy, from Alchemy to Chemistry, from Creationism to the Origin of Species, from MBTI to Psychometrics, from folk medicine to modern medicine.

However the modern world is counter-intuitive and we hanker for the intuitive world of Astrology, Alchemy, Intelligent Design, MBTI and folk remedies.

We hanker for the New Age, but unfortunately there is nothing new about it. It is simply a regression to childhood. And when the modern world become too much, we regress to our childhood - bless our cotton socks.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Victor View Post

What would you think?
    I'd think I was reading a post on an online forum somewhere.
    ('cuz I don't think I've ever heard of any of these happening at any credited college ANYWHERE.)
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

Waking Up to the Enlightenment

Quote Originally Posted by Andy View Post
    I think my first thought would be "I hope this is all just historical context".
    And yes, Astrology, Alchemy, Creationism, folk medicine and MBTI are part of our history.

And during the Enlightenment of the Seventeenth and Eighteenth Centuries we started to wake up from the nightmare of our history.

But it is a slow awakening. For we only abolished institutional slavey for the first time in 1833. And women gained their emancipation in 1904. And it is only in 1990 that we started to prosecute child, sexual abuse in our Criminal Courts.

Of course there are those who wish to perpetuate the nightmare of history. Islam is using violence to take us back to the Seventh Century. And Astrology and MBTI are confidence tricks to take us back to the intuitive nightmare of the past.

However we have been asleep for 200,000 years and it is only in the last 300 years that we have started to wake up to the wonderful universe we live in.

Rhetorical and Literal Interpretations

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    I'd think I was reading a post on an online forum somewhere.
    ('cuz I don't think I've ever heard of any of these happening at any credited college ANYWHERE.)
    Of course not - you are completely right - this has not happened anywhere.

I was asking a rhetorical question.

But you have taken my rhetorical question literally.