• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Chemisty, Biology, Astronomy and Psychology

Salomé

meh
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
The purpose of rhetoric is to persuade rather than describe reality. And so I was trying to persuade you to my point of view.
If your purpose is to persuade, perhaps you should change your approach? You don't seem to be doing a very good job after dozens of posts of a similar nature.
Metaphor is great for illustrating a point, but there has to be substance behind the allusion else it be thought an illusion.

teslashock

Geolectric
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
If your purpose is to persuade, perhaps you should change your approach? You don't seem to be doing a very good job after dozens of posts of a similar nature.
Metaphor is great for illustrating a point, but there has to be substance behind the allusion else it be thought an illusion.

Seconded.

And to the bolded: +1

lunalum

Super Senior Member
MBTI Type
ZNTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Of course not - you are completely right - this has not happened anywhere.

I was asking a rhetorical question.

But you have taken my rhetorical question literally.

And what is wrong with taking questions literally?

Also, pretty much that other stuff Jennifer already replied with

Mole

Permabanned
And what is wrong with taking questions literally?

It depends on the question. Some questions are meant literally and some are meant rhetorically.

And as we perceive by making distinctions, it is vital to recognize the distinction between literal and rhetorical, or for that matter, between literal and metaphorical.

For as we perceive by making distinctions, the more distinctions, the more we see, and the less distinctions, the less we see.

So if we don't know when to take a question literally or when to take it rhetorically, we are blind to English.

Shimmy

MBTI Type
SEXY
I'd be intrigued as to why this would be such a critically acclaimed university.

Mole

Permabanned
I'd be intrigued as to why this would be such a critically acclaimed university.

In terms of the original post (OP) this is called a top flight university as a rhetorical device.

It becomes plain as you read on that no top flight university would even think of running such courses.

And this is the point, no decent university would teach such medieval superstition.