User Tag List

First 123 Last

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6

Quote Originally Posted by Victor View Post
    Of course there are those who wish to perpetuate the nightmare of history. Islam is using violence to take us back to the Seventh Century. And Astrology and MBTI are confidence tricks to take us back to the intuitive nightmare of the past.
    And there in lies the crux of the problem, because one mans nightmare is anothers nostalgia. Perception is everything - to us rational enlightment is important, even if we may argue over the exact form it takes. Other people have different concerns, but they are all born from emotional considerations. Even the desire for absolute logic comes from a distain of the irrational.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5
    Socionics
    LoL

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    I'd think I was reading a post on an online forum somewhere.
    ('cuz I don't think I've ever heard of any of these happening at any credited college ANYWHERE.)
    Truth is stranger than fiction. My college roommate's entry-level writing professor spent a great deal of her time telling the class about how she was a space alien from another planet, and I can't remember clearly but she either had them write an essay about how she was a space alien, or an essay about what it would be like for the students if they were from another planet.

And in your first International Relations class they start off with Voodoo.

One of my international relations theory books started out with a story about how an indigenous tribe dreamed about the end of the world and then a volcano errupted, and that somehow had something to do with international relations. (Actually, "indigenous" populations are just the hip in thing at colleges so the inclusion of the story is probably why their textbook got published. ) Anytime anyone even hints at "alternate means of knowing" be prepared to duck to avoid the intellectual excrement splatter zone...

Ain't tenure grand?
    "How can I be, all I want to be,
    When all I want to do is strip away these stilled constraints
    And crush this charade, shred this sad, masquerade"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qGeq5v7L3WM

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Of course not - you are completely right - this has not happened anywhere.

I was asking a rhetorical question.

But you have taken my rhetorical question literally.
    I have trouble seeing the value of your rhetorical question unless it is literal.

(Because otherwise, to me, it seems completely disconnected to reality... whereas rhetorical questions only have value if they clearly mirror some realistic situation, which is why the rhetorical question is being offered in the first place -- as a mirror on some real situation.)

Then again, we have Mork-ette teaching creative writing here:

My college roommate's entry-level writing professor spent a great deal of her time telling the class about how she was a space alien from another planet, and I can't remember clearly but she either had them write an essay about how she was a space alien, or an essay about what it would be like for the students if they were from another planet.
    ...so.... who knows?
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

Are they starting off with this stuff in order to depict beliefs with no scientific basis, or are they actually teaching it?

And, if the latter, are we talking about an alternative reality of sorts, where I've never before been exposed to classes actual chemistry, biology and astronomy? Like, I barely have more education than being able to write and read and I suddenly find myself in this University? I guess I'd buy it, maybe find it interesting too.

Since I have been taught biology, chemistry, etc, before, then my reaction would depend of whether I was paying or not. If I was paying for my education, I'd protest, ask for my money back and leave. If it was free and for whatever reason I had spare time to spend, I guess I'd go to some lectures, just out of curiosity.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w6

You've enrolled in a top flight University and you have elected to study in your first year Chemistry, Biology, Astronomy and Psychology.

And in your first Chemistry class they start off with Alchemy.

And in your first Biology class they start off with Intelligent Design.

And in your first Astronomy class they start off with Astrology.

And in your first Psychology class they start off with the Myers Briggs Type Indicator (MBTI).

What would you think?
    I would think that my dream had finally come true: Hogwarts does exist!

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    I have trouble seeing the value of your rhetorical question unless it is literal.

(Because otherwise, to me, it seems completely disconnected to reality... whereas rhetorical questions only have value if they clearly mirror some realistic situation, which is why the rhetorical question is being offered in the first place -- as a mirror on some real situation.)
    The purpose of rhetoric is to persuade rather than describe reality. And so I was trying to persuade you to my point of view.

I thought of starting off by saying, "Imagine......". But I thought I would speak as though it were actually happening. So I can see why you would think it was literally true.

However this was to speak directly to your imagination without let or hindrance.

And as I rail constantly against literalism and make a fetish of metaphor and the imagination, I thought perhaps I might be understood this once.

But this was not to be.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx/so
    Socionics
    IEI

You're a cutie, Vic...

Edit: by the way, I enjoy looking up the old alchemical names for substances used in exothermic reactions.
    Dreams are best served manifest and tangible.

INFP, 6w7, IEI

I accept no responsibility, what so ever, for the fact that I exist; I do, however, accept full responsibility for what I do while I exist.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

MBTI
    ESFP
    Enneagram
    9w8 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by teslashock View Post
    Exactly!
    () 9w8-3w4-7w6 tritype.

sCueI (primary Inquisition)

Magical Thinking

Quote Originally Posted by teslashock View Post
    Hogwarts does exist. It is full of sorcerers and sorcerers' apprentices - some good and some bad - just like here.

Magical thinking is taught to all apprentices, who are conveyed to and from the school by magical train.

I attended such a school in the Southern Highlands, and I was conveyed by steam train at the beginning and end of every term.

Magical thinking was taught so successfully that now Oz has her first saint, Mother Mary Mackillop, who has proved her magical powers by performing two miracles.

And how appropriate as Mother Mary set up little Hogwarts all over Oz to teach magical thinking.

And now she gets her just deserts - and so do we.

Quote Originally Posted by runvardh View Post
    You're a cutie, Vic...

Edit: by the way, I enjoy looking up the old alchemical names for substances used in exothermic reactions.
    Just as astronomers name the planets and their moons after Ancient Greek Gods and Shakespearean characters.

For the Ancient Greeks gave us our philosophy and Shakespeare gave us our language.