User Tag List

First 12

MBTI
    GONE

I would say a business degree plus specialized knowledge in some field helps, get hired at a consulting firm, hopefully one of the big 5, get a few years and contacts under your belt, then fly free. Unless you want to consult for small business I can't imagine anyone hiring you out of the gate from school.

Another track - I knew a consultant who had an MA in 'psychology of excellence' which is basically a background for corporate coaching which is what she did. She was a corporate coach and seemed pretty successful.
    “If you want to tell people the truth, make them laugh, otherwise they'll kill you.” ― Oscar Wilde

"I'm outtie 5000" ― Romulux

Johari/Nohari

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    1w9 sp/sx

you guys are all showing your age he is most likely talking about the type of consulting you do with ZERO experience. The kind of companies that hire green undergrads:

1. Bain
    2. Mckinnsey
    3. BCG
    ----
    4. Deloitte
    5. B... (cant remember the name!)

anyways, its known as getting hired by MBB (the top 3). Its a similar world to the east coast elite ibanking world. Getting hired is all about presitige. you have to have gone to a prestigious school, had a prestigious major, and had a prestigious internship. I.e you have to have thought you are damn important and that stupid shit like that sophmore year bank internship were important.

You cant be a cynical realist like me, who was always aware of how pointless your time is at internships, business undergrad etc. You need to take yourself way too seriously for even my Fe/Ni liking.

EDIT: I would think INFP is one of the worst types for this field...I would think XSXJ, XNTJs and XSXP enneagram 3s are basically what they are looking for. you to really enjoy kissing ass and playing the old boys game. The culture is like ibanking, but you fly more

MBTI
    GONE

I thought you had to be an analyst/grunt first before you could be full fledged consultant. Or am I showing my age again Ibankers have to go through the grind of being analysts first to earn their stripes.
    “If you want to tell people the truth, make them laugh, otherwise they'll kill you.” ― Oscar Wilde

"I'm outtie 5000" ― Romulux

Johari/Nohari

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    1w9 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by CzeCze View Post
    I thought you had to be an analyst/grunt first before you could be full fledged consultant. Or am I showing my age again Ibankers have to go through the grind of being analysts first to earn their stripes.
    Ya. You're right. The entire thing IS GRUNT WORK. If you're hired by MBB out of undergrad, you arent an associate or anything, but to everyone else you are in consulting and you will be sent to a big company as part of a team, to gather information and then produce a big power point presentation.

I find it hilarious that the most prestigious jobs out of undergrad basically train you to do two things:

--make power points
    --make pitch books

any wonder why the elite increasingly want to produce nothing and yet live insulted from the masses? (oh god! i sound so liberal!!! ahhhh!!!)

MBTI
    entp

when you say management consulting, you mean like company structure and stuff right? cuz the theory behind that stuff is soo interesting!

talent management can be a bit of a doozy

what people said about starting with grunt work is true depending on the industry. if you have a professional basis undergrad (engineering) + mba...you would probably have a little more responsibility. although with 0 real world experience, you would still start on the training wheels

all depends on where you are coming from and where you wanna go

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

Quote Originally Posted by Babylon Candle View Post
    you guys are all showing your age he is most likely talking about the type of consulting you do with ZERO experience. The kind of companies that hire green undergrads:

1. Bain
    2. Mckinnsey
    3. BCG
    ----
    4. Deloitte
    5. B... (cant remember the name!)

anyways, its known as getting hired by MBB (the top 3). Its a similar world to the east coast elite ibanking world. Getting hired is all about presitige. you have to have gone to a prestigious school, had a prestigious major, and had a prestigious internship. I.e you have to have thought you are damn important and that stupid shit like that sophmore year bank internship were important.

You cant be a cynical realist like me, who was always aware of how pointless your time is at internships, business undergrad etc. You need to take yourself way too seriously for even my Fe/Ni liking.

EDIT: I would think INFP is one of the worst types for this field...I would think XSXJ, XNTJs and XSXP enneagram 3s are basically what they are looking for. you to really enjoy kissing ass and playing the old boys game. The culture is like ibanking, but you fly more
    Sounds like a real hoot!

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTj

Quote Originally Posted by Babylon Candle View Post
    I find it hilarious that the most prestigious jobs
    Are you sure that they're considered prestigious? Among most people I know, they're considered "well-paying" and "good experience for the future", but everyone knows you will do stupid powerpoint presentations and learn basically nothing, lest being able to stand very long work-hours.
    ENTj 7-3-8 sx/sp

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    1w9 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by FDG View Post
    Are you sure that they're considered prestigious? Among most people I know, they're considered "well-paying" and "good experience for the future", but everyone knows you will do stupid powerpoint presentations and learn basically nothing, lest being able to stand very long work-hours.
    I mean prestigious in the "east coast elite" sense where if one of their kids "doesn't get one of those 'acceptable jobs' direct out of undergrad", their kid is a total failure. I think its usually the result of insanely linear thinking that would lead you to believe that if you aren't ahead to start, you will always be behind.

So ya, its mainly just prestigious to over pushy parents and college undergrads way too concerned with their first job. If we were talking about truly prestigious jobs, Id probably list:

--Doctor, Lawyer, etc (you know, the Jewish mother careers )

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    3w4

I'm one of those people going to start my internship this summer at one of those places Babylon Candle mentioned in his posts. Honestly I have no idea what to expect, but at the business school I attend currently, consulting internship is considered hard to come by (just because the top companies only take 3-5 kids from our grade at any given year).

I locked myself into becoming a business major before I knew what I was getting into. I arrived at consulting as my field of choice after process of elimination (not meticulous enough to do Accounting, marketing is too boring, HATE the obnoxious kids working in ibanking careers, so counsulting was the only available path left). Babylon Candle's right, it is ironic that top undergrad business programs prepare graduates to do grunt work for $100,000+ (ibanking) and $80,000+ (consulting). At least with consulting i'm hoping that there would be a problem-solving element to it... but I will find out this summer whether I'm just a low-level bitch in a good name firm or can I really see myself excelling there. If not, I'd have to rely on grad school (not MBA!)

Anyway, feel free to PM me if you want to know more about my experience with consulting.