123 Last

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    8w7 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ????

Default Language Information

I am in a German class right now, trying to make myself less ignorant one word at a time, and am having a terrible time figuring out what to study, how to study, etc. I am learning pretty well from the online site for my course, but I find I can't use much of it in everyday life.

I am really interested in languages and would really like the input of fellow typeCers, even if only for some random interesting things from other languages.

So for those who speak German, or any language (besides English. Unless you have a really cool English word.) could you provide me with some interesting/necessary words/phrases from your language? Or whatever you feel like giving me-I am not picky

[as I typed this, I imagined entropie giving me an interesting/deemed necessary phrase concerning beer]
    Excuse me, but does this smell like chloroform to you?

Always reserve the right to become smarter at a future point in time, for only a fool limits themselves to all they knew in the past. -Alex

Striving for balance Little Linguist's Avatar
    MBTI
    xNFP

The best way to learn a language is in the following way:

a) active practice, preferably in a country that speaks the language
    b) learning in a fun way or in a way conducive to your learning style
    c) passively acquire new words through reading and listening to the language

Well, it goes according to the BACA principle: learn, practice, acquire new things, practice, learn, practice, acquire new things, practice. Like building a house.

I have also learned German and teach EFL.

If you mean specific terms, ask away!

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    8w7 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ????

That is what I have been attempting to do...it worked pretty well with French

Unfortunately, I live nowhere near anywhere that has German as a language...or even people who speak it. My favorite way to practice is with a friend who speaks German, and talking/yelling in German and scaring people

As for the third thing...I actually haven't listened or read anything with much German. I should do that! That is a good idea! Thanks!

Terms? I have no idea. I am just trying to learn as much as possible...I am considering doing a job that requires me speaking multiple languages, so it is important I have a good understanding. I may use this thread for notes, as well.

*pats self on back*

Always reserve the right to become smarter at a future point in time, for only a fool limits themselves to all they knew in the past. -Alex

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    -1w sp/sx
    Socionics
    IOU Ni

Stuff you can do:

- Watching German TV shows. I watched a lot of English cartoons when I was a teenager. I think it's a pretty good idea beacuse it's more idiomatic English (also a bonus for conversational skills) and b) since cartoons are mostly geared towards a younger audience, it's not that difficult to understand.

- Sign up at some German forum! Not thinking of a language forum per se, but any forum that seems interesting to you. It can definitely help your writing skills.

- Find someone to chat / phone with.

That's all I can think about for now. Enjoy
    IN SERIO FATVITAS.

-τὸ γὰρ γράμμα ἀποκτέννει, τὸ δὲ πνεῦμα ζῳοποιεῖ-

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    8w7 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ????

I don't want to speak in a language until I am a little more proficient at it...I would be embarrassed around the Germans

Dali

I've also been meaning to learn German for ages... my main motivation is pretty... how do you say... impractical? I hope to gain a greater understanding of and derive greater enjoyment from German opera (e.g. Wagner, Strauss, Mozart... etc). I kind of lost the fire for a bit but I hope to get back on that wagon sometime this year.

I'll share with you some advice that I was given. Practise, practise, practise... speak the words aloud as you read you them. You use x-fold more brain neurons when you speak the words and phrases aloud (rather than under your breath) and that helps to better 'entrench' them in your mind.

Lots of luck.

Dali

p.s. Wow, I totally understood the title of your blog. Glad I havent lost the little bit I had taught myself.

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    8w7 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ????

Mazal tov

Striving for balance Little Linguist's Avatar
    MBTI
    xNFP

Wir knnen gerne ben. Meine Grammatik ist auch nicht perfekt, aber es geht.

Ich denke es ist sinnvoller, wenn man Wrter nicht einzeln lernt. Man muss schon verstehen, wie es im Zusammenhang passt.

Was meinst du?

Dali

German is like poetry... so beautiful... please keep typing, LL.