User Tag List

First 12

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w? sp/sx

I enjoy working at my local animal shelter in the Summer.
    "A spill at the plant increased the phosphates in the lake and produced a scum of algae so thick that the swamp smell filled the air, infiltrating the genteel mansions. Debutantes cried over the misfortune of coming out in a season everyone would remember for its bad smell."

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    ILE

Quote Originally Posted by disregard View Post
    National CASA - Court Appointed Special Advocate Association - CASA for Children: Advocating for Abused and Neglected Children

They require letters of recommendation, Livescan, FBI background checks, proof of car insurance, lots of training, sworn in by a judge, etc.

All worth it which is why I'm doing it.
    This is a good organisation.
    I redact everything I have written or will write on this forum prior to, subsequent with and or after the fact of its writing. For entertainment purposes only and not to be taken seriously nor literally.

Quote Originally Posted by Edgar View Post
    Spamtar - a strange combination of boorish drunkeness and erudite discussions, or what I call "an Irish academic"

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

I occasionally volunteer to teach ESL at a local community center... I did it regularly while in college
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

Quote Originally Posted by EJCC View Post
    I used to volunteer quite a bit, but it was mostly within my comfort zone. I spent two or three years volunteering at my local library, shelving in the A/V section. I also had family connections to Habitat for Humanity for a while, and would volunteer there, doing whatever needed to be done, around the office or at the job site. I took a service trip to L.A. last month to volunteer for various organizations that help the homeless in the Hollywood area.

I should try the library, or Habitat. I wouldn't mind volunteering again... I used to, but it was unpleasant (nightshift @ local homeless shelter.. and another charity that helped employ people in unfortunate cases.. in both jobs i dealt with too much aggression and belligerence). Not even sure how I did it.. I think those jobs were oddly suited to old people or something. No one ever messed with them.

MBTI
    isfp
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

I've volunteered for pet rescue organizations. There was never any paperwork or red-tape to get involved.

I used to volunteer at a hospital and that wasn't too complicated. You go to a one afternoon training session, and fill out a few forms, get a TB test, had my record of shots/vaccinations sent over, and fingerprinting with a background check. Okay, so now that I think about it, it was a little complicated, but no testing in terms of writing and such.
    Step into my metaphysical room of mirrors.
    Fear of reality creates myopic morality
    So I guess it means there is trouble until the robins come
    (from Blue Velvet)

Nickle Iron Silicone Charmed Justice's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFJ

I've consistently volunteered for a number of organizations through the years(CASA, Boys and Girls Club, and Habitat). I also instructed adult literacy courses, which was one of the most life changing experiences I've had to date. I'm on the volunteer committee in my neighborhood and we do a number of neighborhood-wide and local activities mainly geared towards assisting the elderly. I prefer to work with young children and the elderly; involving myself in activities that will help to empower them towards making transformative changes for the future.
    There is a thinking stuff from which all things are made, and which, in its original state, permeates, penetrates, and fills the interspaces of the universe.

MBTI
    INTP

I used to volunteer regularly at my local animal shelter, helping pets get adopted. Since I had some grooming experience that comes mainly from having a Shih Tzu, I became the person that groomed some of the animals to be more appealing on adoption day. Some of them had been running the streets and were filthy and matted fur, etc. Sprucing them up helped them not to be overlooked.

I moved to a new place and haven't done anything here, but I've been thinking I want to get into volunteering with animals again. I miss it.
    Something Witty

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

Me, me, me!!

I never had to do anything other than show up - even when the work involved children (e.g. riding for the disabled, creating child-friendly gardens at children's homes) which I always found odd because I've had to be vetted and sign the Official Secrets Act just to work with data about children (e.g. social services systems).

Funny old world.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    Gosh, the world looks so small from up here on my high horse of menstruation.

I used to tutor a high school student but then she stopped needing it and I was feeling really burned out from the ~2 hr round trip train ride to get to the tutoring center... I am thinking of just going to a nursing home that is around the corner and reading or playing cards with people there.