User Tag List

Glycerine

Default Is this overkill?

I am planning to major in psychology and minor in math, more specifically statistics (a bit unusual for an ENFJ, lol)? Supposedly most people in the social sciences SUCK at math and it would give me a great advantage in the job market according to my teacher. Has anyone majored/minored in statistics?

Une Femme est une femme paperoceans's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    8w7

Well, psychology is an easy major so... you will be fine.
    Between that cigarillo and sticking my finger down my throat to see if I could DT, I feel like puking RN.

Read my Blog.

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

You have to take stats for a psych major anyways...

I have a specialization in social science stats and data interpretation in two different departments- I thought that it was fun
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

MBTI
    ENFJ
    Enneagram
    3w2
    Socionics
    ENFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Pitseleh View Post
    I am planning to major in psychology and minor in math, more specifically statistics (a bit unusual for an ENFJ, lol)? Supposedly most people in the social sciences SUCK at math and it would give me a great advantage in the job market according to my teacher. Has anyone majored/minored in statistics?
    Never have I even considered minoring/majoring in math. Get thee behind me!

The job market for what, might I ask?

~*79% Extraverted*~
    ~*74% iNtuition*~
    ~*74% Feeling*~
    ~*58% Judging*~

Enneagram Type: SX 3w2

Glycerine

for social scientist, specifically psychologists.

Away with the fairies Southern Kross's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 so/sp

I have friends who have taken psychology, and one is actually a licenced psychologist (in organizational psych). Most of them have bemoaned the fact that they didn't know enough maths for the subject especially when involved in research. Depending on the sort of psychology you're interested in, statistics would likely give you a big advantage. Then again if you dislike maths you can probably get away with it and take another preferable major.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5

as I'm sure you've already heard, "psych majors are a dime a dozen" the extra math will help separate you form the rest of the crowd, and give you a better shot at grad school if you wanna go that route. I took a stat class [for math and technical majors] in undergrad, and most of my classmates did NOT seem like math/science/engineer types as I recall. Some did, but not most.

Stats is really useful though, in terms of desirement by employers

MBTI
    ENFJ
    Enneagram
    3w2
    Socionics
    ENFJ

for social scientist, specifically psychologists.
    Ah, well, if nothing else, it'll help you in your potential PhD program! It seems like psych majors eat everything up except those blasted research methods and stat classes...

Anyway, it will definitely give you a different edge when it comes to grad schoo and be a big help if you end up going into research!

~*79% Extraverted*~
    ~*74% iNtuition*~
    ~*74% Feeling*~
    ~*58% Judging*~

Enneagram Type: SX 3w2

Glycerine

Quote Originally Posted by Southern Kross View Post
    I have friends who have taken psychology, and one is actually a licenced psychologist (in organizational psych). Most of them have bemoaned the fact that they didn't know enough maths for the subject especially when involved in research. Depending on the sort of psychology you're interested in, statistics would likely give you a big advantage. Then again if you dislike maths you can probably get away with it and take another preferable major.
    lol, thank you. I love math. It's pretty easy for me.

Glycerine

Quote Originally Posted by Scott N Denver View Post
    as I'm sure you've already heard, "psych majors are a dime a dozen" the extra math will help separate you form the rest of the crowd, and give you a better shot at grad school if you wanna go that route. I took a stat class [for math and technical majors] in undergrad, and most of my classmates did NOT seem like math/science/engineer types as I recall. Some did, but not most.

Stats is really useful though, in terms of desirement by employers
    aww shucks, "dime a dozen". Oh well, that's life.