• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Workgroup Member BUSTED for Plagiarism...

Halla74

Artisan Conquerer
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Hello there everyone,

This semester I am taking one class.

We have two group projects, the first of which is due within minutes.

One of the six people in my workgroup copied material directly from an organization's consolidated annual financial report.

Thank God the guy who volunteered to do the final editing checked each section of the report for plagiarism. He had to re-write the contaminated section, because if it were submitted, all of us would have failed the assignment.

I sent the plagiarist an e-mail admonishing him for his impropriety, and informed him that he can voluntarily dismiss himself from the workgroup, or meet with me and the professor this coming Tuesday night.

This post is just a reminder to any of you that have group projects in your classes to check the other people's work for plagiarism, as it can jeopardize your grade.

Cheers,

-Halla

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I had that happen once in a group project and it was the person who volunteered to put it all together on a power point that plagerized... the teacher failed us all and called us into her office :shock:

she lectured us all about it and finally someone pointed out whos part of the project it was... that girl ended up failing and she took a letter grade off of the rest of our work for being unobservant :doh:

foolish heart

MBTI Type
ISTP
This post is just a reminder to any of you that have group projects in your classes to check the other people's work for plagiarism, as it can jeopardize your grade.

Cheers,

-Halla

Risking not only their grade but everyone else's = totally dick

I'm going back to school in the fall, thanks for the awesome advice!

Halla74

Artisan Conquerer
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I had that happen once in a group project and it was the person who volunteered to put it all together on a power point that plagerized... the teacher failed us all and called us into her office :shock:

she lectured us all about it and finally someone pointed out whos part of the project it was... that girl ended up failing and she took a letter grade off of the rest of our work for being unobservant :doh:

WOW! :horor:
I would have been SOOOOO angry. :threaten:
The volunteer was the plagiarist, how original. :thumbdown:

Risking not only their grade but everyone else's = totally dick

Oh yeah, and you have no idea as to how great of an extent he is trying to blame for being an ineffective group leader. Good luck selling that, douchebag. I am the leadership posterchild. What did I do?

(1) I came up with a gameplan at a time when we had minimal direction.
(2) I reserved the group study rooms at the library.
(3) I simplified the group's communication efforts with several e-mails, and creation of a group mailing list.
(4) I prepared the first draft of the project memo.
(5) I setup templates for each group member with relevant context necessary to complete their portion of the assignment, and to allow the final product to be consistently organized.
(6) I also assisted with preparing and editing the final draft.

Yeah, I am the slacker, my bad. :2up:

I'm going back to school in the fall, thanks for the awesome advice!

You're welcome. I wouldn't have caught it if it were not for the final editor, because the sneaky bastard didn't send his work to anyone else but the final editor, when we agreed up front to send our work to everyone for review as we completed it. I've crucified him in e-mails. LOSER.

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
There is little more infuriating to me than having to rely on others for my grade.

If I must be forced to do so though, I will not, and never will, hesitate to bust someone out for attempting to do anything that will destroy the hard work I've done in school in any way, shape, or form.

You're a lot nicer than I would have been Halla. I would have gone straight to the professor with that person and busted him out. No one is going to be lazy with my grade and get away with it.

I'm glad that your group caught the error and fixed it before the project was a total disaster.

Halla74

Artisan Conquerer
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
There is little more infuriating to me than having to rely on others for my grade.

If I must be forced to do so though, I will not, and never will, hesitate to bust someone out for attempting to do anything that will destroy the hard work I've done in school in any way, shape, or form.

You're a lot nicer than I would have been Halla. I would have gone straight to the professor with that person and busted him out. No one is going to be lazy with my grade and get away with it.

I'm glad that your group caught the error and fixed it before the project was a total disaster.

I understand your point, I bust my ass for my grades. No one's laziness is entitled to disrupt my accomplishments.

Oh, I haven't played all my cards yet. If we are dinged in any way by the Prof., his ass is being thrown to the wolves. Believe it.

P.S. Would you have nightsticked his shins or Maced him? :2ar15:

CzeCze

RETIRED
MBTI Type
GONE
Wow, let us know how it turns out.

I remember there was a woman in my dorm who had this bad reputation. When I asked about it, apparently some of our dorrm mates thought she had snuck into Girl A's dorm and copied an assignment. Girl A was sitting there with us and said they all got in trouble about it. The story from the other girl though was that someone *else* had taken *her* assignment out of the trash and copied it. She says two other girls got kicked out of school for it but since she wasn't guilty of anything, she stayed.

I dunno, it gets confusing after a while!

At my undergrad, cheating was grounds for expulsion, not just failing a class.

FDG

pathwise dependent
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w8
Ah...yeah, I hope it will never happen to me, because I'd probably just edit the stuff without telling the guy. Mmm. I see here this could potentially be a rather big cultural difference between Italy vs US. On your favor, of course. I remember reading from a blog of a now-professor that went to the US for PhD after going to school in Italy...he had some big problems at the start because he'd let other people copy without saying anything.

IlyaK1986

MBTI Type
ENTJ
See this is why I like numbers. With writing essays, it's called plagiarism.

With engineering, it's called the correct answer.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
This is why group projects can suck.

Venom

Babylon Candle
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
See this is why I like numbers. With writing essays, it's called plagiarism.

With engineering, it's called the correct answer.

Majority of essays are just paraphrasing a bunch of "approved sources". If you ever did come up with an original idea yourself, they wouldn't believe you because you didn't cite anything! :rofl1:

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
I hate group projects, and why would you risk plagerizing? it's not even worth it.

simulatedworld

Freshman Member
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Hey man that happened to me recently too!

Here's my story:

One of the six people in my workgroup copied material directly from an organization's consolidated annual financial report.

Thank God the guy who volunteered to do the final editing checked each section of the report for plagiarism. He had to re-write the contaminated section, because if it were submitted, all of us would have failed the assignment.

I sent the plagiarist an e-mail admonishing him for his impropriety, and informed him that he can voluntarily dismiss himself from the workgroup, or meet with me and the professor this coming Tuesday night.

What an asshole, right?

Halla74

Artisan Conquerer
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Hey man that happened to me recently too!

Here's my story:

What an asshole, right?

Wow. What brainpower that took, Sim. :shocking:

Are hitting the crack pipe again? You know that stuff is bad for you. :thumbdown:

Don't give in to the devil, Sim! :newwink:

simulatedworld

Freshman Member
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Speaking of which, where is my devil picture? Busy with "more important things" like school, are you? Unacceptable!

Halla74

Artisan Conquerer
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Speaking of which, where is my devil picture? Busy with "more important things" like school, are you? Unacceptable!

Damn it! More demerits for me! :doh:

Firing up MS Paint soon... :devil:

simulatedworld

Freshman Member
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
As punishment for your tardiness, I am going to plagiarize your devil picture and sell it for boatloads of cash at a local art auction.

Sucker!