User Tag List

View Poll Results: What's your type, English Major?

Voters
14. You may not vote on this poll
  • ENFJ

1 7.14%
  • INFJ

1 7.14%
  • ENFP

1 7.14%
  • INFP

2 14.29%
  • ENTJ

1 7.14%
  • INTJ

2 14.29%
  • ENTP

2 14.29%
  • INTP

4 28.57%
  • ESTJ

0 0%
  • INTJ

0 0%
  • ESTP

0 0%
  • ISTP

0 0%
  • ESFJ

0 0%
  • ISFJ

0 0%
  • ESFP

0 0%
  • ISFP

0 0%
First 2345 Last

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

Quote Originally Posted by Jaguar View Post
    My degree was both. Actually, it had three parts: English/Lit/Creative Writing.
    My workload was heavy compared to just the regular ENG majors.
    As if that wasn't bad enough, I also have a Psychology degree.
    I guess I was a masochist.
    That's a lot of reading and writing!

I know my sis was so happy that she cut lit out a year ago- she said she didn't need a degree in that as well and it really added to the workload!

I went the 3 major 4 minor route... I understand the horrors of a heavy workload
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

Quote Originally Posted by whatever View Post
    That's a lot of reading and writing!
    Let's put it this way, my Mom used to tease me by saying I came out of her womb with a book in my hand.

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

Quote Originally Posted by Jaguar View Post
    Let's put it this way, my Mom used to tease me by saying I came out of her womb with a book in my hand.

yeah, you came by it honestly!

my sis spent her childhood making up stories and writing them different places (the wall was a good one )

I just spent my time studying public opinion polls and following elections like they meant something The election of 2000 explains 2 of my degrees!
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

Striving for balance Little Linguist's Avatar
    MBTI
    xNFP

Quote Originally Posted by SolitaryWalker View Post
    In that case, I am forced to acknowledge that there is a distinction worth taking note of. However, I am getting the hunch that these are not separate disciplines but merely two parts of the same discipline. The study in question here appears to be a study of literature. One part is teaching you how to create it and the other how to interpret it. In my University, Literature classes were labelled as English classes, I don't know if the case is the same in most other colleges. Do you think the difference between English and literature is vast enough to regard them as altogether different disciplines or are they similar enough to be called two sub-disciplines of one academic study?
    In Germany, studying English (Sprachstudium, angewandte Sprachwissenschaft) is completely different from English Literature (Sprachstudium, Kulturwissenschaft). Although they are both language programs (Sprachstudium) they are different branches - applied linguistics (angewandte Sprachwissenschaft) and cultural studies (Kulturwissenschaft).

Then again, English is a foreign language here, so that may be the reason.

Although both are interesting, I prefer the study of applied linguistics, where I learn the mechanics of the language more than the literature aspect.

However, I will grant you one thing: Generally studies in both fields overlap insofar as you study both aspects to a certain degree (or you CAN, anyway).

MBTI
    INFP

English major in progress. I think my current status is Sophomore.

MBTI
    nnnn

INTJ MA...combined with linguistics (and the same thing for German). Then an extra year of literary studies.

MBTI
    ENTP

Concentrated in medieval literature. Studied Old English. Senior seminar on Medieval Women Writers.
    "Create like a god, command like a king, work like a slave."

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5
    Socionics
    LoL

I didn't vote because I got a minor, not a major, in English Writing. By getting just a minor, I was able to take more writing-focused classes and avoid the pretentious double-Norton British Literature courses. The only English major I knew closely in college had my roommate and I proof-read his papers Freshman year. The sentences would start at the top of one page, run onto the middle of the next page, and usually had a few commas tossed in here & there for effect. Then there was also the fact that this person wanted to be a marine biologist, not a writer/English professor, so that left us further perplexed...
    "How can I be, all I want to be,
    When all I want to do is strip away these stilled constraints
    And crush this charade, shred this sad, masquerade"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qGeq5v7L3WM

Lay the coin on my tongue SilkRoad's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

INFJ, BA in English. I did Honours because I could (though I doubt it makes much difference to job prospects or whatever) but almost didn't because it involved so much literary theory, which I wasn't crazy about... Glad I did it, though.
    Female
    INFJ
    Enneagram 6w5 sp/sx

I DOORSLAMMING

MBTI
    esTJ
    Enneagram
    875 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ESTx

Quote Originally Posted by speculative View Post
    I didn't vote because I got a minor, not a major, in English Writing. By getting just a minor, I was able to take more writing-focused classes and avoid the pretentious double-Norton British Literature courses.
    Same here. I took an English minor to learn how to write, not to ~read teh classics~. I had to take one of those Norton classes, but it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be.
    Murphy Brown: What is it with us? Why can't we take the easy road once in awhile?
    Avery Brown: Because it's boring and dishonest and uncomfortable, like wearing a pair of shoes all day that pinch your feet.

approx 55% ES, 90% TJ