User Tag List

View Poll Results: What's your type, English Major?

Voters
14. You may not vote on this poll
  • ENFJ

1 7.14%
  • INFJ

1 7.14%
  • ENFP

1 7.14%
  • INFP

2 14.29%
  • ENTJ

1 7.14%
  • INTJ

2 14.29%
  • ENTP

2 14.29%
  • INTP

4 28.57%
  • ESTJ

0 0%
  • INTJ

0 0%
  • ESTP

0 0%
  • ISTP

0 0%
  • ESFJ

0 0%
  • ISFJ

0 0%
  • ESFP

0 0%
  • ISFP

0 0%
First 1234 Last

I was some sort of English - Prof. Writing major until I had a stroke. I claim to be an xSTP but I don't believe me.
    “Some people will tell you that slow is good – but I’m here to tell you that fast is better. I’ve always believed this, in spite of the trouble it’s caused me. Being shot out of a cannon will always be better than being squeezed out of a tube. That is why God made fast motorcycles, Bubba…”

Enneagram
    1w2

I majored in English, but not the silly English literature stuff that gave me stomach aches and made me question my emotional affect. Actually my affect was to retch, but whateves. I wrote a poem about poetry inducing a bulimic state within me, but that was a little joke between the professor and I.

Language, Writing and Rhetoric!!
    Relationships have normal ebbs and flows. They do not automatically get better and better when the participants learn more and more about each other. Instead, the participants have to work through the tensions of the relationship (the dialectic) while they learn and group themselves and a parties in a relationships. At times the relationships is very open and sharing. Other time, one or both parties to the relationship need their space, or have other concerns, and the relationship is less open. The theory posits that these cycles occur throughout the life of the relationship as the persons try to balance their needs for privacy and open relationship.
    Interpersonal Communication Theories and Concepts
    Social Penetration Theory 1
    Social Penetration Theory 2
    Social Penetration Theory 3

Lungs & Lips Locked Unkindloving's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5
    Socionics
    ENFj

Your poll has INTJ twice. Your likely unintentional neglect for ISTJs makes my heart a tad warmer .

I'm not an English major, but i do know an INTP and ISTJ who are.
    Hang on traveling woman - Don't sacrifice your plan
    Cause it will come back to you - Before you lose it on the man

.:: DWTWD ::.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

2011 TypeC Exercise Challenge - My Weekly Goals: Cardio 4x. Yoga/Pilates 1x. Pushups 70.

There is this thing keeping everyone's lungs and lips locked - It is called fear and it's seeing a great renaissance

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

I concluded that I would NOT add English to my majors list after getting asked to leave the class once after informing a professor that her favorite short story was "completely and utterly pointless and I feel like I just wasted an hour which I could have spent doing something more entertaining- like watching my toenails grow"

I did not know that it was her favorite story, but decided that if that's the sort of department you can get in trouble in for sharing your opinion, I did not belong there

That and the fact that every different class seemed to want for me to use a different method of citation- I was used to MLA from my other classes and objected to having to clutter my head with the 30 other citation styles available too :steam:

If the department hadn't been so picky, I'd probably have an english major!
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by whatever View Post
    I concluded that I would NOT add English to my majors list after getting asked to leave the class once after informing a professor that her favorite short story was "completely and utterly pointless and I feel like I just wasted an hour which I could have spent doing something more entertaining- like watching my toenails grow"

I did not know that it was her favorite story, but decided that if that's the sort of department you can get in trouble in for sharing your opinion, I did not belong there

That and the fact that every different class seemed to want for me to use a different method of citation- I was used to MLA from my other classes and objected to having to clutter my head with the 30 other citation styles available too :steam:

If the department hadn't been so picky, I'd probably have an english major!
    When I teach lit, I try not to ever take stuff like that personally, and I don't expect people to like everything I like, but it's possible that she heard your comment as a direct challenge to her, since she was the one that picked it for you to read. It's sometimes hard to tell with students.

Most English departments do use MLA, since it's kind of the standard for English journals, but I have seen a few use Chicago.
    Something Witty

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

we were asked to use APA on a few papers... SATAN invented APA!

My thoughts on the matter were- if she asked us our opinions on the story and I was the only one in the class who'd even bothered READING it, she should take pleasure in my honesty!

the story was Flaubert's "A Simple Heart"
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

Tenured roisterer SolitaryWalker's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 so/sx

Other than art or cooking, English is the last subject I would want to major in. From the little that I know about the subject, I am having a difficult time understanding how anyone who is interested in understanding reality could do work in 'academic English' without any great discomfort. Too often the Postmodernist dogma reigns and many ideas are reduced to 'interpretations' or 'perspective' as a result. I keep getting the impression that the whole discipline promotes the belief that what truly matters is understanding a person's viewpoint, his biases and personal opinions rather than the essence of the studied ideas. I understand that they'd retort that it is important for people to acknowledge their bias and not mistake their arbitrary opinions for facts or that complete objectivity is impossible. However, I do not see this as a sufficient excuse to ignore the pursuit of truth altogether. I am not claiming that this is what every savant of English believes, but it seems to me that many do, possibly even an average professional in the field does. That is unsurprising to me as the discipline is first and foremost an art. Just as artists can't be expected to be deeply interested in understanding the world, the literature enthusiasts should not be expected to do so either.

I'd love to have someone on the forum post a plausible argument in an attempt to refute my conclusion. For a long time I've been looking for a reason to treat this discipline with some measure of intellectual respect, yet my endeavor has been futile thus far.
    "Do not argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience." -- Mark Twain

“No man but a blockhead ever wrote, except for money.”---Samuel Johnson

My blog: www.randommeanderings123.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by SolitaryWalker View Post
    Other than art or cooking, English is the last subject I would want to major in. From the little that I know about the subject, I am having a difficult time understanding how anyone who is interested in understanding reality could do work in 'academic English' without any great discomfort. Too often the Postmodernist dogma reigns and many ideas are reduced to 'interpretations' or 'perspective' as a result. I keep getting the impression that the whole discipline promotes the belief that what truly matters is understanding a person's viewpoint, his biases and personal opinions rather than the essence of the studied ideas. I understand that they'd retort that it is important for people to acknowledge their bias and not mistake their arbitrary opinions for facts or that complete objectivity is impossible. However, I do not see this as a sufficient excuse to ignore the pursuit of truth altogether. I am not claiming that this is what every savant of English believes, but it seems to me that many do, possibly even an average professional in the field does. That is unsurprising to me as the discipline is first and foremost an art. Just as artists can't be expected to be deeply interested in understanding the world, the literature enthusiasts should not be expected to do so either.

I'd love to have someone on the forum post a plausible argument in an attempt to refute my conclusion. For a long time I've been looking for a reason to treat this discipline with some measure of intellectual respect, yet my endeavor has been futile thus far.
    There is no mystical "essence" and you're not a Greek philosopher.
    “Some people will tell you that slow is good – but I’m here to tell you that fast is better. I’ve always believed this, in spite of the trouble it’s caused me. Being shot out of a cannon will always be better than being squeezed out of a tube. That is why God made fast motorcycles, Bubba…”

Tenured roisterer SolitaryWalker's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Marduk View Post
    There is no mystical "essence" and you're not a Greek philosopher.
    Thank you sir, that was ingenious. You truly made me think.
    "Do not argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience." -- Mark Twain

“No man but a blockhead ever wrote, except for money.”---Samuel Johnson

My blog: www.randommeanderings123.blogspot.com/

Widdles in your cream.
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    LII

INTP and I'm a first year in English & creative writing. Currently thinking of switching to just doing English, because I'm not enjoying the creative writing aspect as I thought I would. It's too emotional and personal for my liking. I'm enjoying the linguistic and literature side, however. In order to understand historical context in a particular era, I would sooner look into the art and literature for a more accurate, fuller picture than you would from reading a history book. Literary theory is a little dry, but I'm fairly solid in my 2:1 in it. Not a brilliant grade, obviously, but not bad for a first year and being completely new to it?

I'm studying it in hope of going into the publishing industries, preferably as an editor. One can dream.
    Um, yeah.