User Tag List

12 Last

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

Default The Horror, The Horror...

I'm searching for a job, but I have a sneaking suspicion that this is not something that I am adequately prepared for

first off, I have no clue what I want to do when I grow up... at this point I'm considering taking anything offered and if I end up hating it in a year look for advancements or something else

it's not that I'm unqualified, it's that I have diverse qualifications and don't even know which of those things to aim for

secondly, I have to find something on a bus route or that I can bicycle to, since I lost my license for a few months...

thirdly, I don't even know how to go about this process really... I forewent all of those practical classes on doing things of the sort in college to take wine tasting, ancient mythology and the psychology of sex... I feel like I'm just working in a scattered manner here

should I apply at a temp agency and see where that takes me? It worked for my best friend twice!

should I scan through the jobs offered locally and apply for ALL of them? (the job market here truly sucks...)

should I give up and take a job flipping burgers at the white castle around the corner?

Advice would be much appreciated!!!
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w6

You should apply to teach English in some foreign country! There are programs for this that pay fairly well (enough to live comfortably), and it would be an adventure!

And the only qualifications for most of them are a college degree and fluency in English, so you should be a shoe-in.

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

though I have ESL teaching experience in another country, I fear I can't do that now... we just got a house a while back
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w6

Bah! This is why you need to minimize your commitments!

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

I KNOW!!!

though if I'm lucky I could squirm into one of the ESL jobs here even though I'm not a native spanish speaker...

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6
    Socionics
    ENFP

Truly a horror filled experience, the world of job searching.

I relate. I love what I do and I still have days where I question whether this is really what I'm meant to do and if there's something else out there I'd be happier, more challenged by and that would be a better match for my skills. I've just made peace with the fact that most people today have multiple careers and this is a pretty good first career.

1. There are agencies that match you up with careers, not just jobs. My friend's mom has her own firm where she has many good mid-career professionals use her services to do exactly this - find out what career matches their skills and interests. Because you're Whatever, I'd say make these lists (skills and interests) yourself and run them by people here for suggestions. The diversity of careers here means there is likely someone who can give you feedback on whether a suggested career is really a good match.
    2. Seems like you'd like something in the short run while you figure out what would be best in the long run. This could be a great opportunity to work, for example, in a local wine store within walking distance using your skills a couple days a week while you figure out what your long term goal could be. Temp agencies are great but if a 9-5 office job is going to make you want to poke your eyes out with a blunt pencil, don't do it. You likely know how you'd work in different environments.

So, in the short run:
    Using a map, figure out areas that would be most convenient for 3-6 months where you could walk/ride the bus/pedal. Likely within 15-30 minutes each way. Scout around those areas for businesses/universities/libraries etc that catch your fancy. If you have a list of top 5-10 places that strike your fancy, don't wait for them to put out a job ad. Just call them to see if they need someone, even a few days a week. At the worst, they'll say no, at the best, they'll point you in the direction of a friend/competitor/neighbor or ask you to come in! If a university setting is appealing, use the friends you have there to ask if they know of job openings. Also, don't hesitate to go in and talk with your old department if they're close by. Networks still yield the best opportunities. Unis are also great places to work as they may allow you to take classes there that I'm pretty sure you'd get a kick out of - like fancy roux making

Short term fun jobs as long as they pay decently are great:
    One friend ended up testing cars by VW for about a year making pretty good money, even getting sent on trips while she took a break after she got her Masters and just recently got hired by the FBI (a year long process or more) - a surprisingly perfect match for her language and analysis skills.

For long term stuff:
    1. Attend local job fairs. Jobs that you may not have known about or considered may be just what you're looking for when you learn more about them. That's how the friend first made contact with the FBI.
    2. I started thinking about people I'd read about or knew who seemed to have jobs I admired and could see myself doing. I did some research to see what their backgrounds were and talked more with them to understand exactly what they did and whether it would be a good match eventually. One friend wrote to someone who wrote an employment column for the NYT to ask if his skills in stats would make him employable outside of academia when the job market tanked. He did hear back with some contact info for firms in the area and was able to set up a number of interviews.

I think you have the right idea - work on something close by that won't kill you with boredom and will leave you with some time to plan your career. Work on the latter in your spare time, like you would a job, for a few hours a week. It's not something that will happen in a day - it may take some time to come together. That's okay.

I think it was Userhername that had posted about Penelope Truk's blog (Brazen Careerist) - I really enjoy reading her writing. She has a network site that helps people find jobs and also some practical advice on job searching from an ENTJ. Mwuhahaha... Good luck!

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sx/so
    Socionics
    SLE

PHONE SEX OPERATOR:

1-900-WAT-EVER

Set your own hours and rates!

A turnkey solution that you can operate from your cellphone!
    --------------------
    Type Stats:
    MBTI -> (E) 77.14% | (i) 22.86% ; (S) 60% | (n) 40% ; (T) 72.22% | (f) 27.78% ; (P) 51.43% | (j) 48.57%
    BIG 5 -> Extroversion 77% ; Accommodation 60% ; Orderliness 62% ; Emotional Stability 64% ; Open Mindedness 74%

Quotes:
    "If somebody asks your MBTI type on a first date, run". -Donna Cecilia
    "Enneagram is psychological underpinnings. Cognitive Functions are mental reasoning and perceptional processes. -Sanjuro

MBTI
    INFP

Avoid craigslist. You will get lots of scammers and it's just a waste of time.
    Really work on your resume. Revise and revise and revise. Cannot stress this enough. Print many on resume paper.
    Temp agencies aren't the best at getting back to people, so don't put your eggs in that basket.
    Don't apply at a place you don't want to work at. If you quit your last retail job because you hate retail, do not fall back into the trap. You only get what you ask for.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by Halla74 View Post
    PHONE SEX OPERATOR:

1-900-WAT-EVER

Set your own hours and rates!

A turnkey solution that you can operate from your cellphone!

Actually, I believe you have to have a landline and a hands-free set to be a phone sex operator with a back up cell phone.

Don't ask me why I know this.

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

lol... I once typed 1-800 and then my real first name into a pay phone while bored and discovered that it was a phone sex line I doubt I'd succeed at that though, I can't even attempt phone sex with my SO without giggling

Good tips ergophobe!

I'm trained in survey research design and analysis and I speak spanish

also a lot of sales experience over the past few years

Unfortunatly I live in the hood, so there's really not much within walking distance that would be a job that didn't carry the threat of the occasional stickup I'm sure I'll find something that's not that far away though- I live within biking distance of quite a few schools and a museum!

I should check with a couple of my professors from college as well... THEY at least liked me!