• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

The Horror, The Horror...

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I'm searching for a job, but I have a sneaking suspicion that this is not something that I am adequately prepared for :doh:

first off, I have no clue what I want to do when I grow up... at this point I'm considering taking anything offered and if I end up hating it in a year look for advancements or something else

it's not that I'm unqualified, it's that I have diverse qualifications and don't even know which of those things to aim for :boohoo:

secondly, I have to find something on a bus route or that I can bicycle to, since I lost my license for a few months... :dry:

thirdly, I don't even know how to go about this process really... I forewent all of those practical classes on doing things of the sort in college to take wine tasting, ancient mythology and the psychology of sex... I feel like I'm just working in a scattered manner here

should I apply at a temp agency and see where that takes me? It worked for my best friend twice!

should I scan through the jobs offered locally and apply for ALL of them? (the job market here truly sucks...)

should I give up and take a job flipping burgers at the white castle around the corner?

Advice would be much appreciated!!! :)

teslashock

Geolectric
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
You should apply to teach English in some foreign country! There are programs for this that pay fairly well (enough to live comfortably), and it would be an adventure!

And the only qualifications for most of them are a college degree and fluency in English, so you should be a shoe-in. ;)

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
though I have ESL teaching experience in another country, I fear I can't do that now... we just got a house a while back :blush:

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I KNOW!!! :laugh:

though if I'm lucky I could squirm into one of the ESL jobs here even though I'm not a native spanish speaker... :thinking:

ergophobe

Allergic to Mornings
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Truly a horror filled experience, the world of job searching. :)

I relate. I love what I do and I still have days where I question whether this is really what I'm meant to do and if there's something else out there I'd be happier, more challenged by and that would be a better match for my skills. I've just made peace with the fact that most people today have multiple careers and this is a pretty good first career.

1. There are agencies that match you up with careers, not just jobs. My friend's mom has her own firm where she has many good mid-career professionals use her services to do exactly this - find out what career matches their skills and interests. Because you're Whatever, I'd say make these lists (skills and interests) yourself and run them by people here for suggestions. The diversity of careers here means there is likely someone who can give you feedback on whether a suggested career is really a good match.
2. Seems like you'd like something in the short run while you figure out what would be best in the long run. This could be a great opportunity to work, for example, in a local wine store within walking distance using your skills a couple days a week while you figure out what your long term goal could be. Temp agencies are great but if a 9-5 office job is going to make you want to poke your eyes out with a blunt pencil, don't do it. You likely know how you'd work in different environments.

So, in the short run:
Using a map, figure out areas that would be most convenient for 3-6 months where you could walk/ride the bus/pedal. Likely within 15-30 minutes each way. Scout around those areas for businesses/universities/libraries etc that catch your fancy. If you have a list of top 5-10 places that strike your fancy, don't wait for them to put out a job ad. Just call them to see if they need someone, even a few days a week. At the worst, they'll say no, at the best, they'll point you in the direction of a friend/competitor/neighbor or ask you to come in! If a university setting is appealing, use the friends you have there to ask if they know of job openings. Also, don't hesitate to go in and talk with your old department if they're close by. Networks still yield the best opportunities. Unis are also great places to work as they may allow you to take classes there that I'm pretty sure you'd get a kick out of - like fancy roux making ;)

Short term fun jobs as long as they pay decently are great:
One friend ended up testing cars by VW for about a year making pretty good money, even getting sent on trips while she took a break after she got her Masters and just recently got hired by the FBI (a year long process or more) - a surprisingly perfect match for her language and analysis skills.

For long term stuff:
1. Attend local job fairs. Jobs that you may not have known about or considered may be just what you're looking for when you learn more about them. That's how the friend first made contact with the FBI.
2. I started thinking about people I'd read about or knew who seemed to have jobs I admired and could see myself doing. I did some research to see what their backgrounds were and talked more with them to understand exactly what they did and whether it would be a good match eventually. One friend wrote to someone who wrote an employment column for the NYT to ask if his skills in stats would make him employable outside of academia when the job market tanked. He did hear back with some contact info for firms in the area and was able to set up a number of interviews.

I think you have the right idea - work on something close by that won't kill you with boredom and will leave you with some time to plan your career. Work on the latter in your spare time, like you would a job, for a few hours a week. It's not something that will happen in a day - it may take some time to come together. That's okay.

I think it was Userhername that had posted about Penelope Truk's blog (Brazen Careerist) - I really enjoy reading her writing. She has a network site that helps people find jobs and also some practical advice on job searching from an ENTJ. Mwuhahaha... Good luck!

Halla74

Artisan Conquerer
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
PHONE SEX OPERATOR:

1-900-WAT-EVER

Set your own hours and rates! :cheese:

A turnkey solution that you can operate from your cellphone! :yay: :woot: :banana:

disregard

mrs
MBTI Type
INFP
Avoid craigslist. You will get lots of scammers and it's just a waste of time.
Really work on your resume. Revise and revise and revise. Cannot stress this enough. Print many on resume paper.
Temp agencies aren't the best at getting back to people, so don't put your eggs in that basket.
Don't apply at a place you don't want to work at. If you quit your last retail job because you hate retail, do not fall back into the trap. You only get what you ask for.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
PHONE SEX OPERATOR:

1-900-WAT-EVER

Set your own hours and rates! :cheese:

A turnkey solution that you can operate from your cellphone! :yay: :woot: :banana:

Actually, I believe you have to have a landline and a hands-free set to be a phone sex operator with a back up cell phone.

Don't ask me why I know this.

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
lol... I once typed 1-800 and then my real first name into a pay phone while bored and discovered that it was a phone sex line :laugh: I doubt I'd succeed at that though, I can't even attempt phone sex with my SO without giggling :doh:

Good tips ergophobe! :)

I'm trained in survey research design and analysis and I speak spanish

also a lot of sales experience over the past few years :holy:

Unfortunatly I live in the hood, so there's really not much within walking distance that would be a job that didn't carry the threat of the occasional stickup :boohoo: I'm sure I'll find something that's not that far away though- I live within biking distance of quite a few schools and a museum! :)

I should check with a couple of my professors from college as well... THEY at least liked me!

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
now I know what marmelade sunrise does for a living... :devil:

and yeah... I've heard a lot of bad things about craig's list and people stealing information and such... creepy!!! :horor:

and it's not sales I hate, it's working on commission only- I like convincing people of things and getting to talk to them, I just want a consistant living from it! :laugh:

ergophobe

Allergic to Mornings
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Actually, I believe you have to have a landline and a hands-free set to be a phone sex operator with a back up cell phone.

Don't ask me why I know this.

Oh no, young lady, you don't get off that easy without telling us why. Do. Please. :popc1: How fun!

I'm trained in survey research design and analysis and I speak spanish

also a lot of sales experience over the past few years :holy:

Unfortunatly I live in the hood, so there's really not much within walking distance that would be a job that didn't carry the threat of the occasional stickup :boohoo: I'm sure I'll find something that's not that far away though- I live within biking distance of quite a few schools and a museum! :)

I should check with a couple of my professors from college as well... THEY at least liked me!

Awesome Whatever. Some possibilities off of the top off my head [a scary place].

1. You could be a really good catch for local polling agencies. Do a search for polling agencies in the area or ones that may hire you to work from home. Those analysis and language skills could be really useful for them. Several different types that you may actually enjoy -
a. news/political -- places like Gallup, Pew Research. Here's a central place with links to all sorts of agencies.
RealClearPolitics - Latest Election Polls
If you come across polls you'd enjoy, contact the agency. Also, with elections coming up, local agencies will be looking for people.

b. Market Research -- sell your sales experience and your survey analysis skills to market research firms. Lots of companies and I know peeps who've worked as contractors with them as well. Here's one place to look for firms in your area:
GreenBook: Find Market Research Companies and Focus Group Facilities

2. If it's your language skills you'd like to work on and do more socially oriented stuff - look up the local chapter of MALDEF or a similar advocacy group working with rights of local Spanish speaking populations. They likely won't pay well but you may have a ball working there part time and keeping up your Spanish skills.

3. Ask Profs to set you up with a research project where they may need help or colleagues who do. That's great experience and flexible working hours.

4. Museums are awesome places to work. I'd be a little jealous if you got a job at a cool museum close by. :smile: Many would have outreach programs for the local Spanish speaking community, including organizing film festivals, other events that bring the community in.

I think you'll have more options than you desire.