User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The Horror, The Horror...

827 sp/so
    SLE Ti

now I know what marmelade sunrise does for a living...

and yeah... I've heard a lot of bad things about craig's list and people stealing information and such... creepy!!! :horor:

and it's not sales I hate, it's working on commission only- I like convincing people of things and getting to talk to them, I just want a consistant living from it!
    Human beings make life so interesting. Do you know that in a universe so full of wonders, they have managed to invent boredom? -Terry Pratchett

Allergic to Mornings Array ergophobe's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by marmalade.sunrise View Post
    Actually, I believe you have to have a landline and a hands-free set to be a phone sex operator with a back up cell phone.

Don't ask me why I know this.
    Oh no, young lady, you don't get off that easy without telling us why. Do. Please. How fun!

Quote Originally Posted by whatever View Post
    I'm trained in survey research design and analysis and I speak spanish

also a lot of sales experience over the past few years

Unfortunatly I live in the hood, so there's really not much within walking distance that would be a job that didn't carry the threat of the occasional stickup I'm sure I'll find something that's not that far away though- I live within biking distance of quite a few schools and a museum!

I should check with a couple of my professors from college as well... THEY at least liked me!
    Awesome Whatever. Some possibilities off of the top off my head [a scary place].

1. You could be a really good catch for local polling agencies. Do a search for polling agencies in the area or ones that may hire you to work from home. Those analysis and language skills could be really useful for them. Several different types that you may actually enjoy -
    a. news/political -- places like Gallup, Pew Research. Here's a central place with links to all sorts of agencies.
    RealClearPolitics - Latest Election Polls
    If you come across polls you'd enjoy, contact the agency. Also, with elections coming up, local agencies will be looking for people.

b. Market Research -- sell your sales experience and your survey analysis skills to market research firms. Lots of companies and I know peeps who've worked as contractors with them as well. Here's one place to look for firms in your area:
    GreenBook: Find Market Research Companies and Focus Group Facilities

2. If it's your language skills you'd like to work on and do more socially oriented stuff - look up the local chapter of MALDEF or a similar advocacy group working with rights of local Spanish speaking populations. They likely won't pay well but you may have a ball working there part time and keeping up your Spanish skills.

3. Ask Profs to set you up with a research project where they may need help or colleagues who do. That's great experience and flexible working hours.

4. Museums are awesome places to work. I'd be a little jealous if you got a job at a cool museum close by. Many would have outreach programs for the local Spanish speaking community, including organizing film festivals, other events that bring the community in.

I think you'll have more options than you desire.