User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5 sp/sx

Default Physics Major AND Business Leader?

I hear that it is often the case that Physics majors, masters and PhDs find themselves right at the top of the corporate world. Is this really the case? How can a 3 year degree be worth so much to people?

I just discovered that one of the Australian Telephone service companies is lead by a guy that has a doctorate in physics, you'd think that a degree in business would be FAR more fitting for such a job, wouldn't you?
    5 3 9

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w6

I don't know if this is true of those with physics degrees, but I have heard something similar about those with engineering degrees.

Many CEOs and other high-ups in companies have engineering degrees, and these are viewed as largely more valuable than business degrees.

Engineering (and perhaps physics, as it's the science side of most engineering disciplines) instills in one a unique ability to identify and approach problems and develop a solution. It's a way of thinking that does well in the business world.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by King-Of-Despair View Post
    I hear that it is often the case that Physics majors, masters and PhDs find themselves right at the top of the corporate world. Is this really the case? How can a 3 year degree be worth so much to people?

I just discovered that one of the Australian Telephone service companies is lead by a guy that has a doctorate in physics, you'd think that a degree in business would be FAR more fitting for such a job, wouldn't you?
    I've heard this before, but about MS and PhD's, not BS's. Think involved complicated math out the wazoo. "Business derivatives" is one business area that such people end up in. One of my physics profs complained about how his PhD friends that went that way got massive 6 figure salaries, and he as a prof got like ~45k, and isn't science worth so much more than just some financing position???

Again, its all about taking the involved complicated crazy math and applying it to business things instead of science ones. Black___-Schoenflies eqn or whatnot for pricing business derivatives or some such thing, for example.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5

potentially raking myself over the coals here, but in general the two subject areas that are the MOST math intensive are 1) mathematics, and 2) physics. Both beat out engineering in that regard. So business has these really-hairy math problems, they turn to the "math experts", and shazaam you have math and physics people. And physics people are probably more "achievement/reward/money/prestige/image/power"-based than are math people

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTj

Because physics majors are the smartest majors, on average. I mean, they're those that deviate positively the most from the average standardized entrance score, in comparison to all other majors. Don't ask me to find the source because it would take me too much time, but I remember the ranking was 1. Physics 2. Math 3. Economics; business and accounting were those with the highest negative deviation.

I mostly think it's because so many business (school, I mean) people are dumb as fuck, basically, thus they have to pay physicist to solve their problems. Math people are just too up in their head to do it, and economics people hate business students thus they won't do it.
    ENTj 7-3-8 sx/sp

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by FDG View Post
    Because physics majors are the smartest majors, on average. I mean, they're those that deviate positively the most from the average standardized entrance score, in comparison to all other majors. Don't ask me to find the source because it would take me too much time, but I remember the ranking was 1. Physics 2. Math 3. Economics; business and accounting were those with the highest negative deviation.

I mostly think it's because so many business (school, I mean) people are dumb as fuck, basically, thus they have to pay physicist to solve their problems. Math people are just too up in their head to do it, and economics people hate business students thus they won't do it.
    dumb question, how are economics and business students different??? I think of them as one and the same, or synonomous, but I also don't deal with them so I wouldn't know any better. Like is economics the theory and philosophy and math and big picture details of business, and business majors are the little grunts who run the shops and cater to the customers???

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by FDG View Post

Oh, and I've heard, multiple times, its the crazy math. being smart helps too, but specifically it is the math background and experience

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTj

Quote Originally Posted by Scott N Denver View Post
    dumb question, how are economics and business students different??? I think of them as one and the same, or synonomous, but I also don't deal with them so I wouldn't know any better. Like is economics the theory and philosophy and math and big picture details of business, and business majors are the little grunts who run the shops and cater to the customers???
    yeah, that's mostly how I see it, and how other economics student see it economics usually has a lot more math and theory, business is more about the nitty-gritty details of accounting procedures and how to attract customers/market the business.

Oh, and I've heard, multiple times, its the crazy math. being smart helps too, but specifically it is the math background and experience
    Yeah I can see that. I took two courses in stochastic calculus and I'm pretty sure they would have been a breeze for a person with a MsC in physics, many econ students that aren't that strong in math suffered quite a lot though
    ENTj 7-3-8 sx/sp

MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram

German Federal Chancellor as in President has got a PhD in Physics.

I am convinced those guys built some kind of devices to change the timeline for their best
    [URL]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEBvftJUwDw&t=0s[/URL]

Quote Originally Posted by King-Of-Despair View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by teslashock View Post
    I don't know if this is true of those with physics degrees, but I have heard something similar about those with engineering degrees.

Many CEOs and other high-ups in companies have engineering degrees, and these are viewed as largely more valuable than business degrees.
    This is interesting. I keep thinking I'm destined to be a poor person stuck in research and technical jobs. I'd love to be high up in management or an entrepreneur.

p.s. I've heard it said before also. I'm quite interested to know how much of a selling point it really is, and how to use it.
    Freude, schöner Götterfunken Tochter aus Elysium, Wir betreten feuertrunken, Himmlische, dein Heiligtum! Deine Zauber binden wieder Was die Mode streng geteilt; Alle Menschen werden Brüder, Wo dein sanfter Flügel weilt.