User Tag List

First 23456 Last

Results 31 to 40 of 51

  1. #31
    Per Ardua Metamorphosis's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Posts
    3,466

    Default

    Yes, but I meant physics, not people who study physics.

    Going to the gym not applying to physics?
    "You will always be fond of me. I represent to you all the sins you never had the courage to commit."

    Reason is, and ought only to be the slave of the passions, and can never pretend to any other office
    than to serve and obey them. - David Hume

  2. #32
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    MBTI
    entp
    Posts
    1,190

    Default

    critical thinking skills.

    thats what attracts wall street firms towards physicist and engineers. cuz both of these have spent at least 4 years wacking their head against the wall trying out different solutions to a problem till not only can they look at a problem and predict its nature but ALSO analyze the solution itself and write a paragraph on how to better it.

    in jungian term, the closest thing to these skills is Ti.

    also, i cant believe its been 4 pages and noone has mentioned critical thinking yet.

  3. #33
    Happy Dancer uumlau's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    953 sp/so
    Posts
    5,708

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by thisGuy View Post
    critical thinking skills.

    thats what attracts wall street firms towards physicist and engineers. cuz both of these have spent at least 4 years wacking their head against the wall trying out different solutions to a problem till not only can they look at a problem and predict its nature but ALSO analyze the solution itself and write a paragraph on how to better it.

    in jungian term, the closest thing to these skills is Ti.

    also, i cant believe its been 4 pages and noone has mentioned critical thinking yet.
    That's because there is more than one set of words to describe the same thing. I used "word problems."

    As for "the closest thing to these skills is Ti": Ti is not a set of skills, it's an approach. The skills are separate, and can be used with most of the Jungian functions.
    An argument is two people sharing their ignorance.

    A discussion is two people sharing their understanding, even when they disagree.

  4. #34
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    MBTI
    entp
    Posts
    1,190

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by uumlau View Post
    That's because there is more than one set of words to describe the same thing. I used "word problems."

    As for "the closest thing to these skills is Ti": Ti is not a set of skills, it's an approach. The skills are separate, and can be used with most of the Jungian functions.
    yes i read that. word problems are a WAY of developing the skill so treasured in physicists.

    this process of dissecting and analyzing the subject MOST CLOSELY resembles the way Ti is attributed with analyzing stuff.

  5. #35
    Happy Dancer uumlau's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    953 sp/so
    Posts
    5,708

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by thisGuy View Post
    yes i read that. word problems are a WAY of developing the skill so treasured in physicists.

    this process of dissecting and analyzing the subject MOST CLOSELY resembles the way Ti is attributed with analyzing stuff.
    The fruit that MOST CLOSELY resembles the sun is an orange.
    An argument is two people sharing their ignorance.

    A discussion is two people sharing their understanding, even when they disagree.

  6. #36
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    MBTI
    entp
    Posts
    1,190

    Default

    were you in my grade school class when the teacher was explaining earth's revolution and rotation phenomena?

    cuz he used an orange for sun.

  7. #37
    pathwise dependent FDG's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTj
    Posts
    5,908

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by uumlau View Post
    The fruit that MOST CLOSELY resembles the sun is an orange.
    AHAH this cracked me up
    ENTj 7-3-8 sx/sp

  8. #38
    garbage
    Guest

    Default

    Dunno. People can be much more capable than their degrees suggest.

    You get training in a specific subject in a degree program, sure. But you also prove that you can learn things, think critically, and read and digest information in a meaningful way. All generally good skills to have.


    Our resident astrophysicist, who has three degrees in the subject, teaches statistics in the business school and regularly helps out with business-related research. How relevant to the topic

    Unfortunately, his specific training has come back to bite him at least once. He's a brilliant and extremely capable guy, and he's worked in a wide variety of areas. But he was once turned down for a proposal where he showcased some great ideas, simply because his degrees were in physics and not in the domain of the proposal's subject

    Me? I'm taking a bit of a different approach. I've got degrees from three different departments, and my CV lists a wide variety of projects, ranging from business to nursing to logistics to engineering to space modeling. I'm explicitly tailoring my career path to showcase myself as a generalist at the outset.

    Because, sometimes, we need to make our experiences align with our capabilities.

  9. #39
    resonance entropie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram
    783
    Posts
    16,761

    Default

    The current german chancellor has a physics major. She spent a lot of time with a former politician, who was chancellor aswell and learnt a lot. I think if we spin that well further backwards we end up with Palpatine as the ultimate answer
    [URL]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEBvftJUwDw&t=0s[/URL]

  10. #40
    Feelin' FiNe speculative's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5
    Socionics
    LoL
    Posts
    929

    Default

    I think an economics Ph.D. would be better equipped to math out business word problems than a physics Ph.D., since that is basically what they do all day?
    "How can I be, all I want to be,
    When all I want to do is strip away these stilled constraints
    And crush this charade, shred this sad, masquerade"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qGeq5v7L3WM

Similar Threads

  1. English Majors and Type
    By Sarcasticus in forum Academics and Careers
    Replies: 43
    Last Post: 07-06-2010, 01:20 AM
  2. Intuitives and Business?
    By Mondo in forum Academics and Careers
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 06-29-2010, 11:31 PM
  3. [NT] Ignoring Physical Pain and/or Hunger
    By ReflecTcelfeR in forum The NT Rationale (ENTP, INTP, ENTJ, INTJ)
    Replies: 47
    Last Post: 06-10-2010, 11:11 AM
  4. Majors and jobs for creative people
    By run in forum Academics and Careers
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 10-03-2009, 03:53 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO