User Tag List

First 1234 Last

Habitual Fi LineStepper JocktheMotie's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Scott N Denver View Post
    dumb question, how are economics and business students different??? I think of them as one and the same, or synonomous, but I also don't deal with them so I wouldn't know any better. Like is economics the theory and philosophy and math and big picture details of business, and business majors are the little grunts who run the shops and cater to the customers???
    I got my degree in finance, and there's definitely a rift between economics majors and business majors. The econ people take a more encompassing approach to the entire economic system and are more analysis oriented, while business people seem more keen to build and manage the individual companies, products, and services to make up that system. Both sides think the other is "missing the point"

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by noigmn View Post
    This is interesting. I keep thinking I'm destined to be a poor person stuck in research and technical jobs. I'd love to be high up in management or an entrepreneur.
    I don't know about poor per se, but ive worried about this as well

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx/so
    Socionics
    IEI

*starts feeling temptations to add economics to his list of possible directions* Damn it! I'm supposed to be paring down my choices not adding to them... ><*
    Dreams are best served manifest and tangible.

INFP, 6w7, IEI

I accept no responsibility, what so ever, for the fact that I exist; I do, however, accept full responsibility for what I do while I exist.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5
    Socionics
    LoL

Quote Originally Posted by entropie View Post
    I am convinced those guys built some kind of devices to change the timeline for their best
    I think you're on to something there.
    "How can I be, all I want to be,
    When all I want to do is strip away these stilled constraints
    And crush this charade, shred this sad, masquerade"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qGeq5v7L3WM

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILI Ni

Quote Originally Posted by King-Of-Despair View Post
    I hear that it is often the case that Physics majors, masters and PhDs find themselves right at the top of the corporate world. Is this really the case? How can a 3 year degree be worth so much to people?

I just discovered that one of the Australian Telephone service companies is lead by a guy that has a doctorate in physics, you'd think that a degree in business would be FAR more fitting for such a job, wouldn't you?
    A degree helps you to get a job. There is some underlying theory that you learn that's relevant maybe. Hopefully you learn how to write. Maybe you learn how to think. However, you really learn on the job.

Please provide feedback on my Nohari and Johari Window by clicking here: Nohari/Johari

Tri-type 639

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by highlander29 View Post
    A degree helps you to get a job. There is some underlying theory that you learn that's relevant maybe. Hopefully you learn how to write. Maybe you learn how to think. However, you really learn on the job.
    I'm gonna tell you what lots of people have told me: a degree in physics means that your smart, technically inclined, analytically capable, and *trainable*. I've heard it said than engineers aren't necessarily trainable, in the sense that they can do what they are trained for, but aren't necessarily very good at being retrained for something different. Physics training is much more "adaptable" in that sense

Also, think "prior experience with advanced statistics out the waoo"

MBTI
    INTJ

I hold a physics major. Only a bachelors though.

There is an advantage in perception for sure. Intelligence is automatically assumed for better or worse. Physics majors are 'rare' compared to many other degrees (even most liberal arts degrees). They do have a point in that taking the major forces a certain kind of problem solving aptitude simply to pass the classes with high scores.

At least academically, physicists can easily step into business classes and do just fine. The same cannot necessarily be said for business majors deciding to take up physics (even if they are interested in it).

MBTI
    INTJ

I took a physics major (and am now in business).

There is an advantage in perception for sure. Intelligence is automatically assumed for better or worse. Physics majors are 'rare' compared to many other degrees (even most liberal arts degrees). They do have a point in that taking the major forces a certain kind of problem solving aptitude simply to pass the classes with high scores.

At least academically, physicists can easily step into business classes and do just fine. The same cannot necessarily be said for business majors deciding to take up physics (even if they are interested in it).

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w7 sx/so
    Socionics
    N/A

A good motivator for me...if only these examples are verifiable.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Craft View Post
    A good motivator for me...if only these examples are verifiable.
    how are they not verifyable?
    5 3 9