User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    ENFJ

Default What should I major in?

I want to do something that can actually be useful but I can derive at least some modicrum of joy from. This means anything medical is absolutely out of the question.

Any other ideas, though?
    -Carefully taking sips from the Fire Hose of Knowledge

heart on fire

What do you enjoy? What are you good at? What do you think would force you to expand areas of yourself that need expanding? What do you want/expect out of a college education?

MBTI
    ENFJ

Quote Originally Posted by heart View Post
    What do you enjoy? What are you good at? What do you think would force you to expand areas of yourself that need expanding? What do you want/expect out of a college education?
    What I want/expect out of a college education is the means with which to pay it back and maybe some life in the future.

I enjoy... I don't know what I enjoy. At home I enjoy writing and knitting and drawing, but I doubt that counts for anything. I also like languages in a way they don't teach in school. I'm good at history and math and some writing. What about me needs expanding... probably sciences. Because every science teacher I've ever had was horrible.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILI Ni

It's a difficult question. You might consider reading the following two books:
    - What color is your parachute (do the exercises)
    - Do what you are

You might be able to come up with some ideas on potential careers and then work backwards from there on a major that would align.

The practical answer is to major in something that is in high demand and aligns with your interests but it is difficult to know what you want to do when you're starting college.

Please provide feedback on my Nohari and Johari Window by clicking here: Nohari/Johari

Tri-type 639

MBTI
    ENFJ

Quote Originally Posted by highlander29 View Post
    It's a difficult question. You might consider reading the following two books:
    - What color is your parachute (do the exercises)
    - Do what you are

You might be able to come up with some ideas on potential careers and then work backwards from there on a major that would align.

The practical answer is to major in something that is in high demand and aligns with your interests but it is difficult to know what you want to do when you're starting college.
    What is in high demand?

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILI Ni

Well, I have not researched it lately but this turned up in a Google search.

The Ten Hottest Careers - college graduates - fastest growing occupations

Please provide feedback on my Nohari and Johari Window by clicking here: Nohari/Johari

Tri-type 639

MBTI
    ENFJ

Quote Originally Posted by highlander29 View Post
    Well, I have not researched it lately but this turned up in a Google search.

The Ten Hottest Careers - college graduates - fastest growing occupations
    I do not know if I could do any of those things...

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Haphazard View Post
    What about me needs expanding... probably sciences. Because every science teacher I've ever had was horrible.
    I'm not sure what you mean here, do you not like science? I would have recomended a straight forward BSc simply because it has an incredible amount of possibilities and value. I don't know if there's much out there that combines maths and history.

What about Law? Or anything in the arts (but those jobs are less available). Maths and Business usually go hand in hand, you can't really go wrong with business, the only problem is that it's courses might be tedious.

Really, you're not likely to love your job, it's probably not a good idea to get attached to a job anyway. I think you should be looking at what you'd hate least .
    5 3 9

MBTI
    ENFJ

Quote Originally Posted by King-Of-Despair View Post
    I'm not sure what you mean here, do you not like science? I would have recomended a straight forward BSc simply because it has an incredible amount of possibilities and value. I don't know if there's much out there that combines maths and history.

What about Law? Or anything in the arts (but those jobs are less available). Maths and Business usually go hand in hand, you can't really go wrong with business, the only problem is that it's courses might be tedious.

Really, you're not likely to love your job, it's probably not a good idea to get attached to a job anyway. I think you should be looking at what you'd hate least .
    I have had personal vendettas against science teachers. I swear to God there is something about them I hate. I have no idea why, because at this level it's all memorization and I've been able to do work with lots of memorization quite easily (most history and social science classes), but for some reason, I just. can't. do. science.

Law is expensive. Arts is also expensive. I can think of a couple things that combine math and history: demography and statistical archaeology.

If I hate it more than school I want it to at least be less stressful than school. And I'm going to admit right now that I don't hate school an awful lot.

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Haphazard View Post
    What I want/expect out of a college education is the means with which to pay it back and maybe some life in the future.
    In that case, I would suggest a public university (maybe you're already going to one). What you major in is not as important to the question of whether your investment will pay off as how much you spend in the first place is.