User Tag List

First 123 Last

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    Four

Do you have a vision for yourself that is not contingent to practical aspects? Imagine who you want to be ideally. From there, I would suggest asking what could you do realistically to live life in a way that brings you closest to that. You already seem to have pretty pragmatic view of life, so that should be too difficult. Lastly, ask what you can do efficiently. What are your strengths? What allows you to focus best and be the most productive?

Some people say the marketability in searching for a career comes less from your major and more from your experiences. For example, a classics major, you could still go into an archeological field (I think most study anthropology) if employers see you've had exposure to ancient from a study abroad experience in Greece.

Those are just generalizations. I am only a university sophomore, so I haven't got it totally figured out either.

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

if you like languages you might be interested in state department or un work... that would involve studying foreign relations (writing!) and at least one other language
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    1w9 sp/sx

here are the no BS answers...

If you want a job the moment you graduate:
    --Accounting

If you want a job the moment you graduate that makes a lot for a young kid, but peaks earlier in the late career:
    --Engineering

If you want to be little miss marketing/advertising SJ who thinks shes actually really creative:
    --Marketing/advertising

If you want to indicate to the world that you're practical and ready to be a lil worker bee at corporate:
    --Business Administration

If you want to be part of the east coast elite:
    --Finance (then to ibanking)

If you want a major thats worthless without more schooling:
    --Biology, Psychology

If you want a major thats worthless
    --Sociology

If you want to be seen as someone who is part of the on-avg smartest major:
    --physics/math

If you want to be known as that fucking crazy girl who takes the hardest classes from everyone else's majors:
    --Biomedical engineering

If you want to be an excellent bullshitter:
    --Political Science and History

If you want to have a major that "looks practical" to those not in the know, but is really just as ivory tower as sociology:
    --Economics

If want a lot of unrewarded hard work:
    --Chemistry

MBTI
    ENFJ

Quote Originally Posted by whatever View Post
    if you like languages you might be interested in state department or un work... that would involve studying foreign relations (writing!) and at least one other language
    What's "un work"? Is that like undoing other peoples work? Because that sounds kinda mean...
    -Carefully taking sips from the Fire Hose of Knowledge

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6
    Socionics
    ENFP

Whatever your major, get a minor in creative writing. That way, you'll always have the option of working for
    1. the editorial side of a newspaper/magazine
    2. a press, looking at manuscripts
    The above could be good ways of paying the bills while you work on your own writing.

Get to college and explore a little. Identify some potential majors that interest you and work from there. You'll have to take science classes anyway along with everything else (likely) but don't force yourself to take something you don't enjoy to build competence. It may push you to get over a block but making a career in a subject that you strongly dislike is asking for many years of misery.

Consider studying linguistics or a foreign language vof your choice - interpreters are always in demand for government and international NGO work as Whatever said, in relation to the United Nations/WHO etc etc...Do a peace corps stint if you can.

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Haphazard View Post
    What's "un work"? Is that like undoing other peoples work? Because that sounds kinda mean...
    United Nations

MBTI
    ISTx

I want to do something that can actually be useful but I can derive at least some modicrum of joy from. This means anything medical is absolutely out of the question.

Any other ideas, though?
    A major that's useful but probably boring as shit: Business

Majors that have limited application but that would be/are fun and interesting:
    Law/Criminal Justice
    Sociology
    Psychology

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Beat View Post
    A major that's useful but probably boring as shit: Business

Majors that have limited application but that would be/are fun and interesting:
    Law/Criminal Justice
    Sociology
    Psychology
    This is absolutely true. I have a degree in Political Science and International Relations and I loved every second of it. I'm now a Business graduate student and it is "boring as shit." Economics is interesting. Finance, to a lesser degree, is somewhat interesting. "Business," in general, blows...especially management. It's memorizing a bunch of ways that guys over the past centuries have quantified shit that I learned innately by the time I was out of high school.

Some disciplines teach you how to think and some disciplines teach you what to think. With that said, I have a shitty job largely because of my choice of undergrad major.
    "You will always be fond of me. I represent to you all the sins you never had the courage to commit."

Reason is, and ought only to be the slave of the passions, and can never pretend to any other office
    than to serve and obey them. - David Hume

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILI Ni

I do not know if I could do any of those things...
    If there is more info on your type than COLD, I may have more suggestions.

Please provide feedback on my Nohari and Johari Window by clicking here: Nohari/Johari

Tri-type 639

how about being a humanities major and give that a try?