User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    ENFJ

Default This CSS/PROFILE is bull.

I just spent like, $80 applying for financial aid.

(and I just realized I put this in the wrong channel. It should be in academics.)
    -Carefully taking sips from the Fire Hose of Knowledge

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTj

Needing financial aid for university is so awful, how can you americans live with that.
    ENTj 7-3-8 sx/sp

MBTI
    ENFJ

Quote Originally Posted by FDG View Post
    Needing financial aid for university is so awful, how can you americans live with that.
    I don't know, but I've realized one thing, that student loans are an excellent cattle prod to get those just out of college to find a job.

MBTI
    YaYa

Quote Originally Posted by Haphazard View Post
    I just spent like, $80 applying for financial aid.

(and I just realized I put this in the wrong channel. It should be in academics.)
    FASFA should be free.

Hopefully Obama's student aid reform will go through. I've been out of school for 8 years now and still owe $30K.

MBTI
    ENFJ

Quote Originally Posted by avolkiteshvara View Post
    FASFA should be free.

Hopefully Obama's student aid reform will go through. I've been out of school for 8 years now and still owe $30K.
    FAFSA is free, but most schools want an additional gajillion forms because they hate to give students money.

Obama needs to freaking pass student aid reform. This is fucking ridiculous, the SAT people should not be able to milk you dry like this!

MBTI
    INtP

FAFSA is free, but most schools want an additional gajillion forms because they hate to give students money.
    I don't think it's this, Haphazard (I know more than a bit about this -- I'm not a financial counselor or anything, but I program financial aid systems for a living). It's more that schools want to give what little money they have to the *right* students -- and the FAFSA doesn't necessarily ask the right questions to ensure that. Also, at some schools there are financial aid decisions made in the months of November and December -- and you can't even fill out a FAFSA until January.

If you don't want to pay the College Board to submit the CSS-Profile, you may have other options -- I know that my school has an alternate form that we publish that can be used in lieu of the Profile that is completely free.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

MBTI
    ENFJ

Quote Originally Posted by kelric View Post
    I don't think it's this, Haphazard (I know more than a bit about this -- I'm not a financial counselor or anything, but I program financial aid systems for a living). It's more that schools want to give what little money they have to the *right* students -- and the FAFSA doesn't necessarily ask the right questions to ensure that. Also, at some schools there are financial aid decisions made in the months of November and December -- and you can't even fill out a FAFSA until January.

If you don't want to pay the College Board to submit the CSS-Profile, you may have other options -- I know that my school has an alternate form that we publish that can be used in lieu of the Profile that is completely free.
    It's too late for that. We looked and there weren't any except for to WashU, and it's due tomorrow. And I don't even know if I got into any of the schools that I sent these forms to.

They managed to add this much cost to just applying to schools in five years.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    9w1

Quote Originally Posted by FDG View Post
    Some of us go without. It used to be much easier to get through school (by that I mean logistically). These days I wonder if the debt incurred by going to school is even worth it.
    "If you would convince a man that he does wrong, do right. But do not care to convince him. Men will believe what they see. Let them see."
    Thoreau

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5
    Socionics
    LoL

I don't know, but I've realized one thing, that student loans are an excellent cattle prod to get those just out of college to find a job.
    Be extremely careful of taking on college debt, especially if you're going into a liberal arts major where you're not making 100k+ per year. You can get into a situation where you will not be able to pay back the loan before you die, and then your kids will be on the hook for it. They have a prior college administrator talk about education on Mondays on the radio here, and they were just talking about student loans last week...

Quote Originally Posted by avolkiteshvara View Post
    If I pay for your college education and you pay for mine, we're right back where we started in a zero sum game. Or, were you saying that other Americans owe you money, but you owe them nothing?
    "How can I be, all I want to be,
    When all I want to do is strip away these stilled constraints
    And crush this charade, shred this sad, masquerade"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qGeq5v7L3WM

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTj

Quote Originally Posted by speculative View Post
    If I pay for your college education and you pay for mine, we're right back where we started in a zero sum game.
    Not exactly true because you don't have to pass through loan agencies, there are no interest rates, etc. etc. so the burden is much lower.
    ENTj 7-3-8 sx/sp