• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

This CSS/PROFILE is bull.

Haphazard

Don't Judge Me!
MBTI Type
ENFJ
I just spent like, $80 applying for financial aid.

(and I just realized I put this in the wrong channel. It should be in academics.)

FDG

pathwise dependent
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w8
Needing financial aid for university is so awful, how can you americans live with that.

Haphazard

Don't Judge Me!
MBTI Type
ENFJ
Needing financial aid for university is so awful, how can you americans live with that.

I don't know, but I've realized one thing, that student loans are an excellent cattle prod to get those just out of college to find a job.

avolkiteshvara

MBTI Type
YaYa
I just spent like, $80 applying for financial aid.

(and I just realized I put this in the wrong channel. It should be in academics.)

FASFA should be free.

Hopefully Obama's student aid reform will go through. I've been out of school for 8 years now and still owe $30K.

Haphazard

Don't Judge Me!
MBTI Type
ENFJ
FASFA should be free.

Hopefully Obama's student aid reform will go through. I've been out of school for 8 years now and still owe $30K.

FAFSA is free, but most schools want an additional gajillion forms because they hate to give students money.

Obama needs to freaking pass student aid reform. This is fucking ridiculous, the SAT people should not be able to milk you dry like this!

kelric

Feline Member
MBTI Type
INtP
FAFSA is free, but most schools want an additional gajillion forms because they hate to give students money.

I don't think it's this, Haphazard (I know more than a bit about this -- I'm not a financial counselor or anything, but I program financial aid systems for a living). It's more that schools want to give what little money they have to the *right* students -- and the FAFSA doesn't necessarily ask the right questions to ensure that. Also, at some schools there are financial aid decisions made in the months of November and December -- and you can't even fill out a FAFSA until January.

If you don't want to pay the College Board to submit the CSS-Profile, you may have other options -- I know that my school has an alternate form that we publish that can be used in lieu of the Profile that is completely free.

Haphazard

Don't Judge Me!
MBTI Type
ENFJ
I don't think it's this, Haphazard (I know more than a bit about this -- I'm not a financial counselor or anything, but I program financial aid systems for a living). It's more that schools want to give what little money they have to the *right* students -- and the FAFSA doesn't necessarily ask the right questions to ensure that. Also, at some schools there are financial aid decisions made in the months of November and December -- and you can't even fill out a FAFSA until January.

If you don't want to pay the College Board to submit the CSS-Profile, you may have other options -- I know that my school has an alternate form that we publish that can be used in lieu of the Profile that is completely free.

It's too late for that. We looked and there weren't any except for to WashU, and it's due tomorrow. And I don't even know if I got into any of the schools that I sent these forms to.

They managed to add this much cost to just applying to schools in five years.

Chunes

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
9w1

Some of us go without. It used to be much easier to get through school (by that I mean logistically). These days I wonder if the debt incurred by going to school is even worth it.

speculative

Feelin' FiNe
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
I don't know, but I've realized one thing, that student loans are an excellent cattle prod to get those just out of college to find a job.

Be extremely careful of taking on college debt, especially if you're going into a liberal arts major where you're not making 100k+ per year. You can get into a situation where you will not be able to pay back the loan before you die, and then your kids will be on the hook for it. They have a prior college administrator talk about education on Mondays on the radio here, and they were just talking about student loans last week...

If I pay for your college education and you pay for mine, we're right back where we started in a zero sum game. Or, were you saying that other Americans owe you money, but you owe them nothing?

FDG

pathwise dependent
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w8
If I pay for your college education and you pay for mine, we're right back where we started in a zero sum game.

Not exactly true because you don't have to pass through loan agencies, there are no interest rates, etc. etc. so the burden is much lower.

avolkiteshvara

MBTI Type
YaYa
If I pay for your college education and you pay for mine, we're right back where we started in a zero sum game. Or, were you saying that other Americans owe you money, but you owe them nothing?

A highly educated workforce sustains more productivity which means more revenue for government which means more $ for higher education. Producing college graduates doesn't just benefit the person, it benefits society.

Your finite binary thought process only benefit those who start off wealthy.

Chunes

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
9w1
Besides, it's not zero-sum. The money supply grows slightly more slowly than debt.

Venom

Babylon Candle
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Some of us go without. It used to be much easier to get through school (by that I mean logistically). These days I wonder if the debt incurred by going to school is even worth it.

I think this day will come soon. In the same way that housing prices simply outpaced real wages, so too are education costs. If college costs increase at say 7% a year (im making up numbers) and wages dont keep pace (they arent), there's likely to be a breaking point.

Not exactly true because you don't have to pass through loan agencies, there are no interest rates, etc. etc. so the burden is much lower.

True. There is also the time value way to look at it. If the money comes from your parents (or other parents who pay taxes), the money is at the "end" of its growth equation (the widest part of the fan). If you pay yourself up front (just pretend the loan was paid up front), that money is at the narrow part of the fan and represents a lot more money in future value (as in, if your money went to your savings, rather than to pay for college).

Besides, it's not zero-sum. The money supply grows slightly more slowly than debt.

Are you implying that it's "negative sum"? :rofl1:

Chunes

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
9w1
Well.. hrm.. yeah.

Ensuring that there exists slightly less money than exists money owed is what keeps the economy a big game of musical chairs.

Venom

Babylon Candle
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Well.. hrm.. yeah.

Ensuring that there exists slightly less money than exists money owed is what keeps the economy a big game of musical chairs.

Are you one of those "the federal reserve is a conspiracy!" people? :huh:

Haphazard

Don't Judge Me!
MBTI Type
ENFJ
So I don't go to college.

Maybe I could be a whore. They make good money, tax-free, too.

Blackmail!

Gotta catch you all!
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
Don't listen to Speculative.

He's just a bitter pessimistic bear.

speculative

Feelin' FiNe
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Don't listen to Speculative.

I didn't write the article, the Wall Street Journal did. I thought it held some interesting information that might help people who are looking at student loans avoid problems with good planning. Are you saying that the WSJ article is factually incorrect; if so, what are you basing that on?