User Tag List

First 1234 Last

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6

You were too slow - the chinese got there first. British universities have hundreds of international students from there.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx/so
    Socionics
    IEI

Doesn't one of them have a long dead knighted scientist as one of their alumni? I forget which one...
    Dreams are best served manifest and tangible.

INFP, 6w7, IEI

I accept no responsibility, what so ever, for the fact that I exist; I do, however, accept full responsibility for what I do while I exist.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Gotta catch you all! Blackmail!'s Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8

Quote Originally Posted by tinkerbell View Post
    in fairness you are chasing after the biggest global brands in academia, the question is why?

Possibly because it will add a whole bunch of credibility - they say you've not earned it (paid for it)... it's their brand name after all, they have rights to select who they sponsor....
    Once again, it is a EC-sponsored partnership program with universities of the Far East. The goal is to promote excellency in Europe's educational system, and to attract some of the best Japanese and Korean PhD candidates.

We have to select at least 6 European universities. We already have a German, a French, an Italian, a Swedish and a Dutch partner. Most of them already showed their enthusiasm to be part of this program.

It would be logical to include a British one, at least if our friends from across the Channel do consider they still belong to Europe...
    "A man who only drinks water has a secret to hide from his fellow-men" -Baudelaire

7w8 SCUxI

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8

Quote Originally Posted by Andy View Post
    You were too slow - the chinese got there first. British universities have hundreds of international students from there.
    As a matter of fact, British universities have the most tenuous link with Continental China of all Europe, or almost. It's only Hong Kong and Singapore that saves them, that could give you that illusion.

For instance, France's universities accomodate twice the number of Chinese students than you would find in the UK. It's the same with Netherlands and Germany.

Two years ago, we had already contacted the UCL to be part of another specific exchange program with China, and they almost ruined the whole process because their dean wouldn't understand where to sign application papers for the EC.

---

Most of the exchange programmes the British universities have, are specifically designed to attract fluent English-speaking students only.

It's exactly like if they lived in another century and believed their vast colonial Empire still existed.
    "A man who only drinks water has a secret to hide from his fellow-men" -Baudelaire

7w8 SCUxI

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx/so
    Socionics
    IEI

Quote Originally Posted by Blackmail! View Post
    As a matter of fact, British universities have the most tenuous link with Continental China of all Europe, or almost. It's only Hong Kong and Singapore that saves them, that could give you that illusion.
    I was just wondering if that were the case.

Most of the exchange programmes the British universities have, are specifically designed to attract fluent English-speaking students only.

It's exactly like if they lived in another century and believed their vast colonial Empire still existed.
    Parts of it still does, but only in ceremony.

INFP, 6w7, IEI

I accept no responsibility, what so ever, for the fact that I exist; I do, however, accept full responsibility for what I do while I exist.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6

For instance, France's universities accomodate twice the number of Chinese students than you would find in the UK. It's the same with Netherlands and Germany.

Two years ago, we had already contacted the UCL to be part of another specific exchange program with China, and they almost ruined the whole process because their dean wouldn't understand where to sign application papers for the EC.

---

Where did you get that information from? Any links we could see? I ask, because in my own experience British universities have a large number of chinese students. For example, when I was at the university of Birmingham, I had a shared lecture with the chemical engineering department, and there a lot of chinese students there. I don't have exact statistics, but I only met 1 from hong kong and 1 from singapore.

It wouldn't at all surprise me if the English universities were slow to get in contact with the chinese (Britain seems slow to do everything) but from where I was sitting, it certainly looked they had embraced the concept with enthusiasmand were looking for more. I think this change of heart must have been cash powered. From talking to my lecturers, I gathered that international students had a huge monetry value attached to them. One chinese student brough them as much cash as about 10 home students, due to the huge fees. Most of my chinese friends told me that the only reson they could afford to be in the country was government sponsorship.

From talking with some of the french and german, I gather that there is something of a different culture in european universities. Degrees take longer - I was surprised by how long some people would stay in university. I got the general impression that there was less of a money making air. British universities have almost become "teaching and research businesses" these days.

MBTI
    ENTP

I'm not saying don't use a UK uni, just dont' delude yourself that the two oldest Uni, with the biggest reps are going to bite your hand off.

Its the equivelent of you asking Nike to sponcer your sports day.

Try a high quality Uni who are less brand focused. I've named a few about

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8

Quote Originally Posted by Andy View Post
    Where did you get that information from? Any links we could see? I ask, because in my own experience British universities have a large number of chinese students. For example, when I was at the university of Birmingham, I had a shared lecture with the chemical engineering department, and there a lot of chinese students there. I don't have exact statistics, but I only met 1 from hong kong and 1 from singapore.
    Ask the office of international exchanges in Tongji, Jiaotong, and Tsinghua...

It wouldn't at all surprise me if the English universities were slow to get in contact with the chinese (Britain seems slow to do everything) but from where I was sitting, it certainly looked they had embraced the concept with enthusiasmand were looking for more.
    That's possible. I remember for instance we signed our first real agreement with Tongji as soon as 1995. While Cambridge only began to bother about them in 2004.

Nonetheless, you have to consider the fact there's A LOT of Chinese students abroad. Even if they already seem to appear are in great numbers around you, you should imagine that elsewhere, they are even more numerous!

In the module where I teach, there's always a few Chinese students each year: they're a familiar sight.

I think this change of heart must have been cash powered. From talking to my lecturers, I gathered that international students had a huge monetry value attached to them. One chinese student brough them as much cash as about 10 home students, due to the huge fees. Most of my chinese friends told me that the only reson they could afford to be in the country was government sponsorship.

From talking with some of the french and german, I gather that there is something of a different culture in european universities. Degrees take longer - I was surprised by how long some people would stay in university. I got the general impression that there was less of a money making air. British universities have almost become "teaching and research businesses" these days.
    You might be correct about that.

7w8 SCUxI

Sniffles

It would be logical to include a British one, at least if our friends from across the Channel do consider they still belong to Europe...
    Didn't they determine long ago that wasn't the case?

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx/so
    Socionics
    IEI

Got bored, but admittedly I was a little lazy about the search (Wikipeda):

Technische Universitt Mnchen
    - Founded in 1868

Politecnico di Milano
    - Founded in 1863

Technische Universiteit Delft
    - Founded in 1842

cole Normale Suprieure-Ulm
    - Founded in 1794

T?ky? Daigaku
    - Founded in 1877

Massachusetts Institute of Technology
    - Founded in 1861 (opened 1865)

University of California, Berkeley
    - Founded in 1868

Harvard University
    - Founded in 1636

University of Cambridge
    - Founded c. 1209

University of Oxford
    - Unknown, teaching existed since 1096

University College London
    - Founded in 1826

There's brand, then there's reputation, then there's straight up legend..........

INFP, 6w7, IEI

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]