• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Overpopulation of women in college

Halla74

Artisan Conquerer
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Despite the fact that this is an article about dating in college, I think it's an interesting topic for this section nonetheless. On College Campuses, a Shortage of Men - NYTimes.com Why are there less males than females in college?

Good question!

(1) We kill ourselves off in X-treme sports accidents during childhood far more often than girls do.

(2) Jail. :laugh:

(3) Military deployments? Alot of young guys are in Iraq and Afghanistan right now...

(4) Delayed enrollment in college via short term drop out, or maybe pursuit of a trade job?

Societal implications aside, this is very, very good news for the guys that ARE in college right now. :yes:

Haphazard

Don't Judge Me!
MBTI Type
ENFJ
I am guessing because it's easier for a guy to get a somewhat well-paying job (construction, sports, military) without a college education than a woman.

Laurie

Was E.laur
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Take engineering if it concerns you. (Aren't I a great contributor?)

Giggly

No moss growing on me
MBTI Type
iSFj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Good question!

(1) We kill ourselves off in X-treme sports accidents during childhood far more often than girls do.

I startled my dog I laughed so loud at this. :laugh:

runvardh

にゃん
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
An addition to Halla's list:

Girls are more likley to try harder in highschool and thus make up more of the higher grades at graduation.

When I graduated from highschool they had us honors students stand up and when I looked around I only saw girls...

Timeless

Playnerd
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
Good question!

(3) Military deployments? Alot of young guys are in Iraq and Afghanistan right now...

(4) Delayed enrollment in college via short term drop out, or maybe pursuit of a trade job?

Societal implications aside, this is very, very good news for the guys that ARE in college right now. :yes:
I'm in college.

;)

JocktheMotie

Habitual Fi LineStepper
Good question!

This...

I am guessing because it's easier for a guy to get a somewhat well-paying job (construction, sports, military) without a college education than a woman.

and this.

And like Halla said, this is great news for the guys in college.

Magic Poriferan

^He pronks, too!
MBTI Type
Yin
Enneagram
One
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
If I remember correctly, recent figures show that boys are lagging behind in highschool grades and have higher dropout rates. There's some kind of problem with male students before they ever even make it to college. It's a bit of an unsettling trend.

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
I dunno if this has anything to do with it.. but when looking at a Tuition trust fund for my sister's baby boy on the way. I thought to myself "What if he never decides to go to college? ..I'll have paid a whole lot of money for a whole lot of nothing.." and I decided against it for now.

I wonder if I would have had the same inclination if the baby turned out to be a girl..

Scott N Denver

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
I just want a more even playing field, not to have to beat the boys away with a stick.

to clarify, I meant that the number of women in physics is less than in engineering, which is less than in math. I'd expect women's studies to have the most though, and all of the males there to be NF's

Mad Hatter

Head Pigeon
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
-1w
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Preliminary thought #1: "men" and "shortage" in one sentence sounds scary. At least they avoided "shrinkage".
Preliminary thought #2: "Overpopulation in colleges" + "women" can be easily prevented by using contraceptives.

I'm a German humanities student, and I've once heard about statistics stating that about 70% of students in the humanities are female. I can definitely confirm that there are a lot more women than men (which isn't as pleasant to me yet as the figures might suggest ;)).
In any case, there still is a large divide between humanities and science, where probably even more than 70% of the students are male. I know only of one female friend in my former class who took to studying engineering, and I think that's awesome. Almost all of the other girls went to studying something in the field of social sciences / education.

As to teaching staff at my uni, I think it's a fairly even divide - but of course that could be due to quotas (which definitely exist in some public institutions and maybe in German universities as well), but of course I can only speak for the humanities, and from my personal experience.

avolkiteshvara

MBTI Type
YaYa
Even worse, “Girls feel pressured to do more than they’re comfortable with, to lock it down,” Ms. Lynch said.
Women on gender-imbalanced campuses are paying a social price for success and, to a degree, are being victimized by men precisely because they have outperformed them, Professor Campbell said.
And college men — not usually known for their debonair ways — can be particularly unmannerly when the numbers are in their favor

“A lot of guys know that they can go out and put minimal effort into their appearance and not treat girls to drinks or flatter them, and girls will still flirt with them,” said Felicite Fallon, a senior at Florida State University, which is 56 percent female.

It’s the same as high school, but the women are even more enchanting and beautiful.”

And most would prefer to go out with friends, rather than date a campus brute.
The loneliness can be made all the more bitter by the knowledge that it wasn’t always this way.

Anyone else irritated by this crap.

They said 55% or 60%, not 95%.

FDG

pathwise dependent
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w8
Because women are on average better than males at school. This is due to the structure of school itself which tends to strongly prize compliance and coscentiousness. Not that there's anything wrong with it, but these are the consequences. Males are often stereotypied as being uninterested in school even when they actually are. This is a bit of a trend-reversal, tho, because 50 years ago families wanted to send to college their first-born male kid. I don't know exactly what's the cause.

Anyway, where I am (economics-actuarial science) it's 50-50 males-females.

teslashock

Geolectric
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
The recent disproportion may be due in part to the female gender's exaggerated desire to rebound given a set of (relatively) new opportunities.

FDG

pathwise dependent
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w8
Anyone else irritated by this crap.

Definitely. The whole article is an ode to stereotypes, along with an underlying theme of finding a boyfriend-girlfriend as a "competition" between same-sex people. This kind of thing is also irritating:

Guys tend to overshoot themselves and find a really beautiful girlfriend they couldn’t date otherwise, but can, thanks to the ratio,” he said.