User Tag List

First 23456 Last

Habitual Fi LineStepper JocktheMotie's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by magil View Post
    The article was written by someone names Alex Williams, a unisex name, and I hardly saw that article as blaming anyone but just reporting the state of things.

It's cause- shortage of men in colleges- and effect- their taking advantage of the imbalance.

Seriously, "Women blame men"? Where are you even getting that? Could you direct me to a quote? As I recall it was more they were going along with it and complying with the guys desires . . ..

Basically, yours is a poor summary that is far from capturing the main idea of the article.
    Look at the language that Avolkiteshvrarablahblah quoted, and tell me it isn't full of bitterness, and latent anger. Women feel "victimized"? Really? Yes, because of the population dynamics, women will have to date down. Which I definitely have and still do benefit from, by the way. My statement was more of a joke, but in my experience I see that sentiment a lot, from family and friends. And when I try to explain it in terms of a supply and demand issue, they look at me like I have two heads.

I don't envy a woman's position in the dating world. The inner competition due to population combined with a more strict and focused "worth" standard from men make attaining and sustaining relationships a harder hill to climb. However, I find it bizarre how some women completely ignore how much the competition between them contributes to the inequality of their situation, and instead find themselves "victims" to evil men [yet stab their friends in the back and trample each other to get to a good one if they get the chance].

But I'm starting to diverge. Hopefully the increased representation in college will start leading to increased representation in positions of economic power. Some interesting statistics recently about how female corporate leaders led to something like 37% increase in profitability and performance? Although that was just limited to Silicon Valley companies.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6
    Socionics
    ENFp

Quote Originally Posted by JocktheMotie View Post
    But I'm starting to diverge. Hopefully the increased representation in college will start leading to increased representation in positions of economic power. Some interesting statistics recently about how female corporate leaders led to something like 37% increase in profitability and performance? Although that was just limited to Silicon Valley companies.
    Yeah no kidding, more women in college... so let's focus on their dating???

Magil: What do YOU think about the article, aside from what you think of what other people think of the article. I would like to see your opinion.

MBTI
    EXFP

Look at the language that Avolkiteshvrarablahblah quoted, and tell me it isn't full of bitterness, and latent anger. Women feel "victimized"?
    Wait, so that's your quote?
    ahahahhaahhaha hah ha That is one word and context please?
    Really? Yes, because of the population dynamics, women will have to date down. Which I definitely have and still do benefit from, by the way. My statement was more of a joke,.
    Which I understood but did not appreciate.
    but in my experience I see that sentiment a lot, from family and friends. And when I try to explain it in terms of a supply and demand issue, they look at me like I have two heads.
    Why are you bringing in background info when I thought we were talking about the article?

I don't envy a woman's position in the dating world. The inner competition due to population combined with a more strict and focused "worth" standard from men make attaining and sustaining relationships a harder hill to climb. However, I find it bizarre how some women completely ignore how much the competition between them contributes to the inequality of their situation, and instead find themselves "victims" to evil men [yet stab their friends in the back and trample each other to get to a good one if they get the chance.
    I think the real question is why do they feel they need to do this? what's their motivation? why are they so desperate to have aboyfreind to begin with?
    Yeah, hopefully I guess, although social inequality and not economic power is more my concern.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6
    Socionics
    ENFp

Quote Originally Posted by Udog View Post
    The school mentioned in the article lacks an engineering department, which helps explain the imbalance in this particular case study. There are many schools, including technical and Ivy League schools, that don't have this issue.

Although, yes, the overall trend is still surprising.

According to the article, though, of the 40% male population women *may* consider 20% of those datable. Of those 20%, 10% will have a boyfriend of some sort already, leaving only 10% of the college population male, desirable, and single.
    I think this is the key.

1. The article is only using a certain type of school to prove their point.

2. Get over it, date "undesirables" then, geez. How is this any different from "waaa I cant find a date" rants?

MBTI
    EXFP

Quote Originally Posted by Elaur View Post
    Yeah no kidding, more women in college... so let's focus on their dating???

Magil: What do YOU think about the article, aside from what you think of what other people think of the article. I would like to see your opinion.
    Check the post ten posts back from the one in which you are aking me this. Sry, I would quote my self but it's kind of a hassle.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6
    Socionics
    ENFp

Haha I saw the quotes and didn't realize it was the "article." My bad.

Habitual Fi LineStepper JocktheMotie's Avatar

I think the real question is why do they feel they need to do this? what's their motivation? why are they so desperate to have aboyfreind to begin with?
    No idea. I assume societal pressure, or because girls just wanna have fun.

Yeah, hopefully I guess, although social inequality and not economic power is my primary concern.
    In our society, I think the two are largely the same thing. Earning power is social power. Unless we're talking about sexual equality. No idea how that gets fixed to be honest.

MBTI
    EXFP

No idea. I assume societal pressure, or because girls just wanna have fun.
    Well I have theory on this, if you're interested, in the post that I just directed Elaur to.

In our society, I think the two are largely the same thing. Earning power is social power.
    I disagree. Just because you have economic power doesn't necessarily mean people will treat you as an equal. In fact if you have power imbalance, that is the very opposite of equality. Which is just obvious and true for both sexes but I mean . ..
    People will pay the due respect to someone in power but that doesn't mean they actaully respect them. I would like to direct you if I may to the happy the hedgehog commerical. Here's the link:YouTube - Happy the Hedgehog
    Everyone watches it. Everyone laughs. No one sees anything wrong with it. but take a closer look. See how the women is portrayed as an irrational power bitch and all the men are disrespecting her? And everyone laughs.
    So yeah, economic power does not translate to social equality I think they are two seperate things.

MBTI
    INfp
    Enneagram
    9w1 sp/sx
    Socionics
    INFp None

I already knew that, but I'm still sot getting the humor. Are you saying men are better than women at math?
    No. I think she's saying that if you are a female that is concerned about meeting guys in college, all you have to do is get into engineering. Those type of degrees are sausage fests filled with intelligent, ambitious guys.

The joke is that she's offering a very simple solution that fails to recognize the real issues and implications that were raised in the OP.
    She called herself out on it, so it was self-deprecating, in a way.

Here's the thing, though. They aren't desperate for a boyfriend, but rather for a certain type of boyfriend. There is still a large pool of men (20% of the school's population, according to the article) that are available but completely unwanted.

The question is, why are they so willing to compromise their wants and needs to have a shot at the top 10% of the population, when they wouldn't have to if they took a second look at the other guys?

MBTI
    ENFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Udog View Post
    The question is, why are they so willing to compromise their wants and needs to have a shot at the top 10% of the population, when they wouldn't have to if they took a second look at the other guys?
    Maybe because the other half seem like the type that would date-rape them.

I mean, this is college.
    -Carefully taking sips from the Fire Hose of Knowledge