User Tag List

First 1234 Last

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

I dunno if this has anything to do with it.. but when looking at a Tuition trust fund for my sister's baby boy on the way. I thought to myself "What if he never decides to go to college? ..I'll have paid a whole lot of money for a whole lot of nothing.." and I decided against it for now.

I wonder if I would have had the same inclination if the baby turned out to be a girl..
    Kantgirl: Just say "I'm feminine and I'll punch anyone who says otherwise!"
    Halla74: Think your way through the world. Feel your way through life.

Cimarron: maybe Prpl will be your girl-bud
    prplchknz: i don't like it

In Search Of... ... Kiwi Sketch Art ... Dream Journal ... Kyuuei's Cook book ... Kyu's Tiny House Blog ... Minimalist Challenge ... Kyu's Savings Challenge

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by Haphazard View Post
    I was thinking of majoring in mathematics, actually...
    math has more women than does engineering IME. IME, physics has you both beat though!!! :steam:

MBTI
    ENFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Scott N Denver View Post
    math has more women than does engineering IME. IME, physics has you both beat though!!! :steam:
    I just want a more even playing field, not to have to beat the boys away with a stick.
    -Carefully taking sips from the Fire Hose of Knowledge

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by Haphazard View Post
    I just want a more even playing field, not to have to beat the boys away with a stick.
    to clarify, I meant that the number of women in physics is less than in engineering, which is less than in math. I'd expect women's studies to have the most though, and all of the males there to be NF's

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    -1w sp/sx
    Socionics
    IOU Ni

Preliminary thought #1: "men" and "shortage" in one sentence sounds scary. At least they avoided "shrinkage".
    Preliminary thought #2: "Overpopulation in colleges" + "women" can be easily prevented by using contraceptives.

I'm a German humanities student, and I've once heard about statistics stating that about 70% of students in the humanities are female. I can definitely confirm that there are a lot more women than men (which isn't as pleasant to me yet as the figures might suggest ).
    In any case, there still is a large divide between humanities and science, where probably even more than 70% of the students are male. I know only of one female friend in my former class who took to studying engineering, and I think that's awesome. Almost all of the other girls went to studying something in the field of social sciences / education.

As to teaching staff at my uni, I think it's a fairly even divide - but of course that could be due to quotas (which definitely exist in some public institutions and maybe in German universities as well), but of course I can only speak for the humanities, and from my personal experience.
    IN SERIO FATVITAS.

-τὸ γὰρ γράμμα ἀποκτέννει, τὸ δὲ πνεῦμα ζῳοποιεῖ-

MBTI
    YaYa

Even worse, Girls feel pressured to do more than theyre comfortable with, to lock it down, Ms. Lynch said.
    Women on gender-imbalanced campuses are paying a social price for success and, to a degree, are being victimized by men precisely because they have outperformed them, Professor Campbell said.
    And college men not usually known for their debonair ways can be particularly unmannerly when the numbers are in their favor
    A lot of guys know that they can go out and put minimal effort into their appearance and not treat girls to drinks or flatter them, and girls will still flirt with them, said Felicite Fallon, a senior at Florida State University, which is 56 percent female.
    Its the same as high school, but the women are even more enchanting and beautiful.
    And most would prefer to go out with friends, rather than date a campus brute.
    The loneliness can be made all the more bitter by the knowledge that it wasnt always this way.
    Anyone else irritated by this crap.

They said 55% or 60%, not 95%.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTj

Because women are on average better than males at school. This is due to the structure of school itself which tends to strongly prize compliance and coscentiousness. Not that there's anything wrong with it, but these are the consequences. Males are often stereotypied as being uninterested in school even when they actually are. This is a bit of a trend-reversal, tho, because 50 years ago families wanted to send to college their first-born male kid. I don't know exactly what's the cause.

Anyway, where I am (economics-actuarial science) it's 50-50 males-females.
    ENTj 7-3-8 sx/sp

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w6

The recent disproportion may be due in part to the female gender's exaggerated desire to rebound given a set of (relatively) new opportunities.

MBTI
    YaYa

Feminist movement.........be careful what you wish for.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTj

Quote Originally Posted by avolkiteshvara View Post
    Anyone else irritated by this crap.
    Definitely. The whole article is an ode to stereotypes, along with an underlying theme of finding a boyfriend-girlfriend as a "competition" between same-sex people. This kind of thing is also irritating:

Guys tend to overshoot themselves and find a really beautiful girlfriend they couldnt date otherwise, but can, thanks to the ratio, he said.
    ENTj 7-3-8 sx/sp