User Tag List

Thread: Where is this world?

Default Where is this world?

Lately I have been reading a lot of books on business, war, and just got done reading an article in Time about Robert Gates. And this is all I can come up with...

Where is this world where people do these things? How do they get started? What do they do? Because I look around and I just don't see it. Am I living in some other world than that of business, and opportunity? I just do not see it at all.

I have no idea what you are talking about. It's unclear what you're asking. Can you be more concise?

Ugh, I was asking where is this mythical world where strategy and intellect are revered rather than reprimanded? How do I get I can say in all my life I have never witnessed anything that even remotely resembled this.

*I think I am going through some sort of premature female mid life crisis

Banned Array

You dont get there fast. You surround yourself with the correct type of people to ensure it happens.

3w2 so

Johari / Nohari

"How dreadful!" cried Lord Henry. "I can stand brute force, but brute reason is quite unbearable. There is something unfair about its use. It is hitting below the intellect."
    ~ Oscar Wilde - The picture of Dorian Gray

8w9 sp/sx

It is within you. It is what you percieve since perception is reality.
    I N V I C T U S

Minister of Propagandhi Array ajblaise's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ThatGirl View Post
    Am I living in some other world than that of business, and opportunity?
    Quote Originally Posted by ThatGirl View Post
    Ugh, I was asking where is this mythical world where strategy and intellect are revered rather than reprimanded? How do I get
    The land of intellect and free thought won't usually coexist within the world of business, commerce, and diligence.

America is all about business, but doesn't have enough intellect. Most of Europe, all about heady intellect, not enough business. ESTJ vs. xNxP

Go to Luxembourg, or maybe Australia. For somewhere in between.

ThatGirl - you're right. However, what to do about it is the $25,000 pyramid question.

Generally, in business, intellect means nothing if it's not profitable. There are two types of people who are higher up on the food chain. Those that realize that having intelligent, free-thinking people working for them will ultimately lead to greater profits if they can manage them effectively, and those that are not smart enough, or not effective enough at leadership, to want those kinds of people under them because they know they do not have the skills to direct them to create greater profits.

I have known quite a few very intelligent free thinkers in various jobs who had various positions, and their intellect and free-thinking had nothing to do with how much money they were able to make the company. Ultimately, this is all that matters in business. (Taking into account things which are ultimately profitable, but not necessarily immediately recognizable on a balance sheet, such as great customer service, unique design, a high-touch approach, etc.)

If you are currently in an organization, I think the best thing to do is to walk the fine line between shining and outshining. You want to make your work more efficient and effective, without outshining your boss. You want to make your boss look good. If your boss is not effective, you may be able to go over your boss' head and look good to your boss' boss, but beware this is a very dangerous road...
    "How can I be, all I want to be,
    When all I want to do is strip away these stilled constraints
    And crush this charade, shred this sad, masquerade"