User Tag List

First 12345 Last

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5

I'll respond as well. I have a BS in math and physics,a MS in physics, and came kinda close to a PhD in applied physics. Physics and the humanities are definitely very different regimes of "knowledge"/information.

I can relate to, and agree with, much of what you wrote. I don't have the same "kiss the ass and agree with your professors because you have to" experience that, as I understood, was mentioned but again I was in physics so its a different setup. Opinions, practically worthless. Advanced math out the yin-yang? check!

Realistically, most people aren't particularly intellectually inclined or interested. IN__'s, make up like what ~8% of the US population. Plenty of people, think TJ's, look to school for challenge and future earning potential. To most people, who really cares about the deeper subtleties of, say, roman philosophy and its impact on daily roman life, cause its all about the toga party and keggers baby! I'm not saying I care for or respect that, I don't, but that is how plenty of people think. ES's far outnumber IN's, and business and liberal arts students far outnumber math or physics majors.

I would further like to point out that I thought this essay was MUCH better written and reasonable than your similar earlier one.

Tenured roisterer SolitaryWalker's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Scott N Denver View Post
    I'll respond as well. I have a BS in math and physics,a MS in physics, and came kinda close to a PhD in applied physics. Physics and the humanities are definitely very different regimes of "knowledge"/information.

I can relate to, and agree with, much of what you wrote. I don't have the same "kiss the ass and agree with your professors because you have to" experience that, as I understood, was mentioned but again I was in physics so its a different setup. Opinions, practically worthless. Advanced math out the yin-yang? check!.
    If I interpreted your message correctly, as a physics student you did not have to conform to your professor's expectations as much as a liberal arts student. Would you say that as a general rule, the social and a the political aspect of academia in the exact sciences as well as mathematics is less pronounced than it is in the Liberal arts? If so, why is that the case? Could it be chiefly because the culture of these academic disciplines focuses on exact matters where success can be evaluated with a non-ambiguous agenda; that is, it is more or less clear what constitutes quality work. As a result, the professor's personal opinion has little influence over how the student's work will be judged as its not as open to interpretation as the liberal arts evaluative agenda is.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott N Denver View Post
    I would further like to point out that I thought this essay was MUCH better written and reasonable than your similar earlier one.
    Thank you. Which earlier essay of mine were you referring to?

Quote Originally Posted by FDG View Post
    LOL, Latin? Have you ever studied Latin? I have, for 5 years, It's a fucking dead language, it would be better to teach Chinese, Russian, Persian, Turkish (actually probably teach any agglutinative language would contribute significantly to open-mindedness, given their structure, completely different from the indo-european's branch structure). Every student in Italy hates latin, even the best and most motivated think it's a total waste of time.
    I think his claim was that Latin makes a person's mind stronger or better prepaed to handle the significant intellectual challenges. Studying Latin could accomplish that despite its low practical value.
    "Do not argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience." -- Mark Twain

“No man but a blockhead ever wrote, except for money.”---Samuel Johnson

My blog: www.randommeanderings123.blogspot.com/

Striving for balance Little Linguist's Avatar
    MBTI
    xNFP

Really? I thought Latin was quite easy....it's just pattern recognition, associations and rote memorization.

That being said, I think Latin is helpful if you are interested in languages. It's like getting to know your boyfriend's family - in this case, the apple does not fall far from the tree.

Once you know Latin, you can learn English vocabulary words more easily and decipher meanings of more challenging words if their meanings are unclear from the context. In addition, the Romance languages are absolutely a piece of cake once you know the root language. Even certain foreign words in Germanic languages are based on Latin, not to mention that a great deal of scientific terms are based on Latin.

I'm going with SW on that one. Although I had the opportunity to learn the language for only a year, I would not say it was a waste of time in the slightest. In fact, I thought it was sweet: It was the only place to get an easy A and actually learn something.
    If you are interested in language, words, linguistics, or foreign languages, check out my blog and read, post, and/or share.

Sniffles

I thought it nice to learn some Latin at the course my church offered. The complicated grammar reminded me of Russian in many ways.

Striving for balance Little Linguist's Avatar
    MBTI
    xNFP

Seriously, learning Latin is even great for German speakers - there are several parallels that you would not expect. This language makes learning other languages a hell of a lot easier, and I can only recommend it for others.
    If you are interested in language, words, linguistics, or foreign languages, check out my blog and read, post, and/or share.

Sniffles

Yes Latin is nice. I'd also suggest Classical Greek, which I'm hoping to pick up too soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Peguy View Post
    I thought it nice to learn some Latin at the course my church offered.
    The Christian Bible is written in Ancient Greek. It was not, for instance, written in Latin or the language of Jesus.

So I am surprised that the Church, particularly the Protestant Church, doesn't teach Ancient Greek.

Islam, for instance, teaches Arabic so the Koran can be read in the language it is written in, but not the Christians.

Perhaps you might say that Arabic is the language of Allah, but Ancient Greek is merely the language of men.

Who knows?

Sniffles

Don't reply to my posts Victor!

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx/so
    Socionics
    ILE

Quote Originally Posted by Peguy View Post
    Don't reply to my posts Victor!
    Careful, if you offend his sense of self-expression you might trigger an explosion.
    If you could be anything you want, I bet you'd be disappointed--am I right?

Sniffles

Quote Originally Posted by simulatedworld View Post
    Careful, if you offend his sense of self-expression you might trigger an explosion.
    Which of course means him talking about pedophilia for the nth time.