User Tag List

MBTI
    XNXP
    Enneagram
    OMG sx
    Socionics
    iuno

Default I have a dream, but not sure how to make it reality

My dream is to one day own my own company which sells my own inventions and improved version of other products. But the thing is i don't know which path i should take to get myself there

Besides my dream, i want to be some sort of business man raking in a lot of money to make this dream happen, and at the same time get the experience i need to run my own company.

SO any thoughts or plans on what kind of business man i should be or what path i should take for school would be greatly appreciated.

Glowy Goopy Goodness The_Liquid_Laser's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP

I'm 34 and I have a similar dream. I don't know how good my advice is, because I haven't achieved it yet, but I feel like I am a lot closer to getting it now than I was 10+ years ago.

I think the first thing is to really get to know yourself and what you want out of life. Do you just want to run a business for the sake of running a business or is there something more important underneath. For me I know that I love challenges and collaborating with other people. That is why I want to own a business. I also know that I love to entertain people, so my business will end up being in entertainment. When I say I love these things it means that I've come to realize that doing something like this would be my idea of a dream "job". It took me a long time to even get to this point of self-awareness. If you are in your teens or early 20's and already know what you want out of life then consider yourself lucky.

If you want advice that's a little more practical, I've read through a book called The Innovator's Dillema which gives both theory and examples of how a small start-up business can come in and steal the market from a larger established business. The author, Clayton Christenson, has other books along these lines. You might find them interesting. The book applies to all business, but it especially applies to tech oriented ones, so you might find it particularly interesting.
    My wife and I made a game to teach kids about nutrition. Please try our game and vote for us to win. (Voting period: July 14 - August 14)
    http://www.revoltingvegetables.com

go study at MIT is my advice. There is this person called Ygolo here who had a similar motivation as you, perhaps you can talk to him.
    The fear of poverty turns people into slaves of money.

"In this Caesar there are many Mariuses"~Sulla

Conquer your inner demons first before you conquer the world.

Quote Originally Posted by The_Liquid_Laser View Post
    I think the first thing is to really get to know yourself and what you want out of life. Do you just want to run a business for the sake of running a business or is there something more important underneath. For me I know that I love challenges and collaborating with other people. That is why I want to own a business. I also know that I love to entertain people, so my business will end up being in entertainment. When I say I love these things it means that I've come to realize that doing something like this would be my idea of a dream "job". It took me a long time to even get to this point of self-awareness. If you are in your teens or early 20's and already know what you want out of life then consider yourself lucky.
    I agree with this.

One reason, I want to create my own business (and perhaps sell it for a huge profit) is to have freedom. The freedom to think about and work on whatever strikes my fancy at the time.

Another reason is because I want to make a major difference in the world, through inventions or discoveries preferably...actually this is probably my primary reason.

Quote Originally Posted by cloud View Post
    go study at MIT is my advice. There is this person called Ygolo here who had a similar motivation as you, perhaps you can talk to him.
    Well, I am here today I don't visit here as often these days.

Accept the past. Live for the present. Look forward to the future.
    Robot Fusion
    "As our island of knowledge grows, so does the shore of our ignorance." John Wheeler
    "[A] scientist looking at nonscientific problems is just as dumb as the next guy." Richard Feynman
    "[P]etabytes of [] data is not the same thing as understanding emergent mechanisms and structures." Jim Crutchfield

MBTI
    XNXP
    Enneagram
    OMG sx
    Socionics
    iuno

Quote Originally Posted by The_Liquid_Laser View Post
    I'm 34 and I have a similar dream. I don't know how good my advice is, because I haven't achieved it yet, but I feel like I am a lot closer to getting it now than I was 10+ years ago.

If you want advice that's a little more practical, I've read through a book called The Innovator's Dillema which gives both theory and examples of how a small start-up business can come in and steal the market from a larger established business. The author, Clayton Christenson, has other books along these lines. You might find them interesting. The book applies to all business, but it especially applies to tech oriented ones, so you might find it particularly interesting.
    thanks for the advise, ill look into that book.

I mainly want to make my own business to make my own fortune and to have control of my work. But i do have a lot of self actualization to come across before doing this

MBTI
    XNXP
    Enneagram
    OMG sx
    Socionics
    iuno

Quote Originally Posted by cloud View Post
    go study at MIT is my advice.
    ill check it out thanks

That's my name biotch! JoSunshine's Avatar
    MBTI
    eNfj
    Enneagram

I own my own business and was doing quite well before the economy crashed (oh well). My advice is to be willing to start small, put your pride on the back burner and do what you have to do to get your foot in the door. This may mean making some sacrafices and doing things you don't want to do initially. Try to keep your ego in check while maintaining confidence in yourself...let's call it the cost of entry.

Next, which it sounds like you have this part under control, is do something you love. Have the focus be your passion and the result be the money. The passion/love for what you do will compell you in ways money never could.
    "Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind. " - Dr. Seuss
    I can't spell...get over it

Slightly ENFJ, totally JoSunshine
    Extroverted (E) 52.5%........Introverted (I) 47.5%
    Intuitive (N) 65.63%..........Sensing (S) 34.38%
    Feeling (F) 55.56%............Thinking (T) 44.44%
    Judging (J) 51.43%............Perceiving (P) 48.57%

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    ILE

If I were you I'd hold into that thought for as long as it takes 'til that thought becomes a reality.

Every step of the way will be shown to you when needed.

MBTI
    EXFP

Improved versions of products? That sounds a bit all over the place. Which products? I think you should just choose one product you've improved upon (have you improved upon any yet?) and stick to marketing just that, or variations of it, before you expand your business to other products. Even then it might be smart to open up seperate business to deal with each product in particular, if you can get the money. People associate specialization with quality and your improvment factory idea frankly confuses me. For customers, simplicity and reliablility count.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w6

Talk to Dr. King.