User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5W4

Smile Need advice; can INTPs be succesful Accountants?

Hi there, I'm currently in high school and am in a dilemma about what I'm going to be majoring in Uni.

I really do like Psychology but dismissed the idea after my family's disapproval (Thanks to manipulation etc.) ...

We don't always get to do what we're really passionate about ... I mean we don't always start out with an opportunity to do a job that we're passionate in. But I want to make that opportunity but to get that I'd have to be independent enough to make my own living... at the point where I don't have to account to anyone what I'm doing etc....
    I won't have to hear shit about my "unfeminine" thinking (Yes I'm an INTP girl.) ,or how I should be a social butterfly etc.

and yes, not even telling me what religion i shoud be in! or telling me "how dumb I am for being Agnostic".
    So yeah I want to be free from all of these, and have some dignity for shit's sake.

Sorry for the rant, I'm basically in a very nasty situation with relatives breathing down my neck to make a career decision ASAP.

My aunt has been shoving the idea of being an accountant down my head for as long as two years. I mean sure I did accounting for a year but that's different... What's taught in high school and what's taught in Uni are different right?

I went to do research on forums and the web of course, but so far I have been getting alot of negative feedback about the whole
    INTP + Accounting = flinging yourself down a hellhole of doom.

So I did look up on alternatives like the typical INTP job - computer programmer... and am still looking up on that too.

I wanna keep my options open...

__
    So I was wondering if any INTPs here are accountants (or once was..) and how was the experience like?

So my questions are,
    1) Any INTP that majored in accounting ,how was the experience like?
    (Did you find yourself barely managing to pass a class etc.. ?)

2) What other MBTI types would you say were most common in your college classes or work place?

3) I heard that the actual work is a lot different than what you learn?
    (Like... is it hardcore repetitive work?)

4) Do you use much of your functions (primary and secondary; Ti, Ne) as an accountant?

5) Why do you enjoy accounting?

It's good to hear from other types too about what you think of an INTP as an accountant.

Thanks a lot .. I really need help here ... in about 6 months I'm going to be making this one big life decision and I don't wanna screw things up starting from the very beginning....

MBTI
    ENTP

Not quite and INTP - my bet freind is an INTJ married to an ENFP.... I'm not an accountant but I do work with numbers.

Both doing VERY well, like seriously well. I'm an ENTP and I do a rather detailed driven job.

What I would say is you have to knuckle down and learn the nuts and bolts and get disciplined, but once you are beyond the basics your Nness would pay you huge dividends.

Creating models would be perfect for INTP, financial models etc, forcasting etc....

I'd say the acocuntants I know, and at one point I lived with 4, were domiantly SJ... just like the population. Lots of I types.

I really think its one of the professions that represent all types. I know some accountants that went on to consultancies who were ENTPs.... personally it woul drive me crazy but I can do analytics just better at conceptual thinking/enjoy it more

Yes their work is hard core repetiative... month end year end cylcles stuff, chasing other people to do things they don't want to do etc.

They get paid really well.... (but they are career driven)

Sorry hopefully this is helpful and not just bloing wind at you. t's a good profession and you would always have work, all professions have cycles and mundane parts

MBTI
    ENTP

accounting? seriously? i hate accounting. first of all, when i think of all the accountants i know, i think of a higher leveled secretary. WHY would you waste your time in college for that? they dont even get paid that well. ESPECIALLY for how much work they do. its shit. do something else. ive done basic accounting while i was an admin. assistant and its just not something you go to college for. you can work your way up to it if you know what youre doing and have the experience

the ones i know who are accountants are SJ as well
    She talks pretty but says mean things

Habitual Fi LineStepper JocktheMotie's Avatar

I do accounting now in conjunction with my network administration responsibilities.

It is boring, repetitive, you don't use any of your preferred methods of thinking, and I don't enjoy it at all aside from the fact that it's really easy so you don't have to worry about performance at all.

In terms of what you should do for a career, try not to look at what OTHER INTPs do as much as what you want to do. Something you'll be excited about doing. I know that sounds dumb but it's really the best advice I can give you.

Likes leejung liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by JocktheMotie View Post
    I do accounting now in conjunction with my network administration responsibilities.

It is boring, repetitive, you don't use any of your preferred methods of thinking, and I don't enjoy it at all aside from the fact that it's really easy so you don't have to worry about performance at all.

In terms of what you should do for a career, try not to look at what OTHER INTPs do as much as what you want to do. Something you'll be excited about doing. I know that sounds dumb but it's really the best advice I can give you.
    I was just about to say, fuck everybody else, find your passion and go baby go! Most of us don't even know what that is, so if you have an idea, then it would be a waste not to try it out. (you will be posting in the Regrets thread in about a year or so..) Seriously though, you owe it to yourself to follow your dreams.

MBTI
    ENTP

dreams sheams. be reasonable. whos putting her into college? her parents. her parents wont want to pay for her to go study something they think is a waste of time.

either get some cojones and convince your parents that you want to study psychology or youre just going to have to do something that rolls in a lot of money and is something you like as well

Habitual Fi LineStepper JocktheMotie's Avatar

Yeah..."follow your dreams" might be a bit too happy/fuzzy for me, it's as easy as doing something that interests you and you can find personally fulfilling.

If your parents won't finance it, just get student loans/scholarships. They'll most likely get over it if they see you're happy and doing well. If not, fuck 'em. You don't have to like your parents.

MBTI
    ENTP

what if her country doesnt have such things? you americans have it so easy, dont you?! theres no such things here! only people who go to school are the ones who can afford it. if you cant afford it, tough luck! go mow a lawn!

Quote Originally Posted by Mitzy View Post
    dreams sheams. be reasonable. whos putting her into college? her parents. her parents wont want to pay for her to go study something they think is a waste of time.

either get some cojones and convince your parents that you want to study psychology or youre just going to have to do something that rolls in a lot of money and is something you like as well
    Then I think her parents should be reasonable. They are doing something for her, right. Why would they wanna pay for something she doesn't want? If they are gonna make an investment in her future, be smart enough to invest in something that'll likely turn into something good (and profitable). If she enjoys what she's doing, it's more likely she'll make something valuable of it. If not, then at least she had a good time, and isn't her happiness worth something too? Also, if psychology is her desicion, then it's also her responsibility not to fuck it up and run home for more money.

I've gone down that road, of trying to pick something that sounds "more reasonable" than what I really wanted to do. In the end, it just took me even longer to achieve what I wanted to achieve in the first place.

Kid, you need to do everything in your power to find ways to finance your studies, if psychology is what you want to do. Then you don't need your parents approval or their money.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5W4

Quote Originally Posted by tinkerbell View Post
    Not quite and INTP - my bet freind is an INTJ married to an ENFP.... I'm not an accountant but I do work with numbers.

Both doing VERY well, like seriously well. I'm an ENTP and I do a rather detailed driven job.

What I would say is you have to knuckle down and learn the nuts and bolts and get disciplined, but once you are beyond the basics your Nness would pay you huge dividends.

Creating models would be perfect for INTP, financial models etc, forcasting etc....

I'd say the acocuntants I know, and at one point I lived with 4, were domiantly SJ... just like the population. Lots of I types.

I really think its one of the professions that represent all types. I know some accountants that went on to consultancies who were ENTPs.... personally it woul drive me crazy but I can do analytics just better at conceptual thinking/enjoy it more

Yes their work is hard core repetiative... month end year end cylcles stuff, chasing other people to do things they don't want to do etc.

They get paid really well.... (but they are career driven)

Sorry hopefully this is helpful and not just bloing wind at you. t's a good profession and you would always have work, all professions have cycles and mundane parts
    Oh... yeah I get told lots that the work is really repetitive, mundane... but you'll always have work.. heeh, guess this just confirms it even more... thanks anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by JocktheMotie View Post

Ah... I guess then, my only hopes are to get the job done and over with
    (hopefully it'd be really easy for me.) in a few years and go back to school to study.. I guess it's not THAT late if I was to go back to school at say 23 or 24 yrs of age. Eventually I might be able to do what I find exciting without needing to account to anyone.

accounting? seriously? i hate accounting. first of all, when i think of all the accountants i know, i think of a higher leveled secretary. WHY would you waste your time in college for that? they dont even get paid that well. ESPECIALLY for how much work they do. its shit. do something else. ive done basic accounting while i was an admin. assistant and its just not something you go to college for. you can work your way up to it if you know what youre doing and have the experience

the ones i know who are accountants are SJ as well
    Ah.. SJs, my aunts are SJs and they believe in judging things\people\decisions based on past experiences. That goes for what they want me to be doing... so I kinda have limited choices on what to study @ college...

And yeah it's a "do-or-die" situation because technically they don't really give two hoots about whether or not I'm gonna like it..

Quote Originally Posted by Memphis View Post
    I was just about to say, fuck everybody else, find your passion and go baby go! Most of us don't even know what that is, so if you have an idea, then it would be a waste not to try it out. (you will be posting in the Regrets thread in about a year or so..) Seriously though, you owe it to yourself to follow your dreams.
    Hmm yeah I know, and I will.
    But not for now I guess.. everything needs the right time, right place and the right people around you (I mean sure I don't really care about what people think about me, my passion, anything.. but still, I don't have any money to do anything for now.) I can only do so much now, that is getting good grades... and well, the good part comes in later.

Yep, I did try that but it didn't work out. In fact it got worst, she started hurling insults at me and telling me I will never amount to anything just like my Dad (she's always judging by past experiences.) and ... and, well let's just say everyone thinks I have issues. (*scoffs* The irooony..)

I can't beat their manipulative overbearing ways...
    Yup you said it, "they won't want to pay for her to go study something they think is a waste of time." <---- everything else will be a waste other than what THEY THINK IS RIGHT.

Rolls in a lot of money and is something I will like as well... yep that's what I'm looking for now.... yet it sucks because you don't really know where to start..

I just want to get a job for about three years or so before having my own money to go back to school ..(Hoping that I won't die from the process that is. And this is the point of it all, I'm just afraid that I might fail at Point A, before getting to Point B.)