• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Need advice; can INTPs be succesful Accountants?

simulatedworld

Freshman Member
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Sure, if you work hard enough on it.

There's no reason your type should ever prevent you from doing any job if you're dedicated enough to learning the skills associated with that job.

Shaunward

I'll tell you something: on standardized entrance-tests, accounting majors are those that score the lowest on average (physics majors being those that score the highest). I think accounting is a potentially profitable venue and that learning accounting is truly useful, however I think that college should be dedicated to truly learn something complex and potentially long-lasting, with wide applications (so, math & logic & science), rather than such a detail-oriented and (in my opinion) mind-killer subject.

Somewhat hypocritically tho, I actually have taken a lot of accounting classes and I know quite a lot about it. That's why I hate it so much :D
I think I agree. I'm enjoying accounting, but it really feels like a step down. Subconsciously, I keep waiting for a concept in accounting that'll need me to integrate something.

Munchies

MBTI Type
XNXP
Enneagram
OMG
Instinctual Variant
sx
lmfao your saying your going to depend your entire future on a non-personal peronality theory? dude just do what you want

avolkiteshvara

MBTI Type
YaYa
I think I agree. I'm enjoying accounting, but it really feels like a step down. Subconsciously, I keep waiting for a concept in accounting that'll need me to integrate something.

At past places I've worked, you definitely see the personality difference between the accountants and the analysts. Accountants are boring and stiff. Analysts interesting and dynamic.

Are 80 hour weeks worth your six figure salary? It sounds fucking horrible to me.

Shaunward

At past places I've worked, you definitely see the personality difference between the accountants and the analysts. Accountants are boring and stiff. Analysts interesting and dynamic.

Are 80 hour weeks worth your six figure salary? It sounds fucking horrible to me.

I enjoy work. It makes me feel productive and gives me meaning. Chartered Accountants typically work 40 hour workweeks and average nearly 200k a year (in Canada anyway). It's hardly about the money at this point.

I'm taking time off for more school right now. All this free time is driving me mad. Coming here is an expression of my temporary free time.

IZthe411

Carerra Lu
MBTI Type
INTJ
I can't speak for other countries, but in the US, if you want to be an accountant, the best way to go is to get a degree in accounting, which involves a number of very rigorous courses, then you take the certified public accountant exam and hopefully pass it (very tough exam), and you go to work for a big 4 firm. You quit after five to ten years and get a controller or other senior accounting position at a corporation or you stay at the big 4 firm and and progress to partner - doing audit work or tax work. Contrary to the opinions of others, auditing does not have to be boring, but you do need to like it.

Most accountants are bookkeepers- doing the same thing, daily/weekly/monthly/yearly. That's BORING!

The subject matter of accounting is very boring, but where it becomes interesting is when you are an auditor, especially for the big 4 and are able to work on different clients and work different types of jobs, where accounting is the foundation, but you are able to exercise different skills, especially analytical.

I spent over 6 years in Big 4, and the higher you go in the organization the less it was about the details and more about big picture items, and that separates the forever bean counters from those who are good leaders.

I know I'm biased as an ISTJ, but I can use of my Ne if I have to at work.

Like someone said, a CPA certificate and a degree is a good skill to have in a tough economy like present.

OP, if your parents are willing to pay for your schooling to become an accountant, and you can manage to do well, see if you can get into an auditing firm, particularly the Big 4, and use them. You are young; put your time in, learn all you can, and then take that knowledge, your Ne, and go conquer the world.

IZthe411

Carerra Lu
MBTI Type
INTJ
Yeah...I studied accounting in high school for 5 years, I have a bachelor in eco - had to take 5 accounting classes - and im getting a masters in math finance. I think accounting is by far the easiest thing among all the economics-related stuff. Of course remembering all the details can be difficult, but it's a matter of brute-force memorization rather than understanding of complex concepts

Accounting involves principles- so If you understand the principles you can easily understand how issues play out in the big picture.

Like someone mentioned, those who look for some kind of pattern in the details will fail, because they don't learn how to think in terms of principles. The way a problem is presented in a textbook will differ from the test, and differ in real life, but if you get the underlying principle, you can find the best answer.

Shaunward

Most accountants are bookkeepers- doing the same thing, daily/weekly/monthly/yearly. That's BORING!

The subject matter of accounting is very boring, but where it becomes interesting is when you are an auditor, especially for the big 4 and are able to work on different clients and work different types of jobs, where accounting is the foundation, but you are able to exercise different skills, especially analytical.
Bah, you don't know what you're talking about here. M&A and financial accounting is exciting. Allocating resources, shifting them around.

I love algebra and mathematics. Always have. Interesting stuff.

FDG

pathwise dependent
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w8
Accounting involves principles- so If you understand the principles you can easily understand how issues play out in the big picture.

Like someone mentioned, those who look for some kind of pattern in the details will fail, because they don't learn how to think in terms of principles. The way a problem is presented in a textbook will differ from the test, and differ in real life, but if you get the underlying principle, you can find the best answer.

I kind of always found accounting principles to be way too simple to be interesting. I mean, in comparison to langevin equations, brownian motion, aperiodic solids, lorentz equations...accounting has somewhat lame rules, a 7-yo kid could easily learn most accounting.

IZthe411

Carerra Lu
MBTI Type
INTJ
Bah, you don't know what you're talking about here. M&A and financial accounting is exciting. Allocating resources, shifting them around.

I'm talking about financial accounting, not bookkeeping.

M&As are exciting, I agree.

If you can work in some consulting capacity as well, yes.

But all of that stems from an accounting foundation. If you have the ability to use it towards your dreams, there you go.

IZthe411

Carerra Lu
MBTI Type
INTJ
I kind of always found accounting principles to be way too simple to be interesting. I mean, in comparison to langevin equations, brownian motion, aperiodic solids, lorentz equations...accounting has somewhat lame rules, a 7-yo kid could easily learn most accounting.

There's interest to be found all over, even in the simple things. I think that some people tend to look down on things that are simple, and feel some kind of superiority in understanding the matter in your comment.

I know you are exaggerating about the 7 year old, man....

FDG

pathwise dependent
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w8
There's interest to be found all over, even in the simple things. I think that some people tend to look down on things that are simple, and feel some kind of superiority in understanding the matter in your comment.

I know you are exaggerating about the 7 year old, man....

I just find it more mentally engaging, it's really not a matter of superiority. I recognize the usefulness of accounting (as I said, I've actually studied it a lot...).

Gamine

in-game
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
3w2

Truth! High five!!

Gamine

in-game
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
3w2
Because of your avatar, I picture you as being Mr. Bean and trying to actually give me a high five :p

*keyword: trying

... and instead building a contraption using brooms and rope on the hood of my car to high five you for me? Pretty much.

I've taken an accounting/finance background and found so many facets of opportunity. What do you enjoy doing? It sounds like you are hungry for more dynamic challenging problem solving. School slows everything down though :( unless you are learning things that are awesome!

Two very sexy words though.

Forensic accounting.

HOT!!!!

andrew russel

MBTI Type
no
Enneagram
no
Re : Need advice; can INTPs be succesful Accountants?

Accountants are really helpful if you want to keep your taxes and expenses organized on a monthly basis. They can be your financial partner for life. A good accountant must have knowledge about your business environment, your tax situation and your financial statements. A good accountant allows you to evaluate profitability in your business.

andresimon

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ENFP
Hi there, I'm currently in high school and am in a dilemma about what I'm going to be majoring in Uni.

I really do like Psychology but dismissed the idea after my family's disapproval (Thanks to manipulation etc.) ...

We don't always get to do what we're really passionate about ... I mean we don't always start out with an opportunity to do a job that we're passionate in. But I want to make that opportunity but to get that I'd have to be independent enough to make my own living... at the point where I don't have to account to anyone what I'm doing etc....
I won't have to hear shit about my "unfeminine" thinking (Yes I'm an INTP girl.) ,or how I should be a social butterfly etc.

and yes, not even telling me what religion i shoud be in! or telling me "how dumb I am for being Agnostic".
So yeah I want to be free from all of these, and have some dignity for shit's sake.

Sorry for the rant, I'm basically in a very nasty situation with relatives breathing down my neck to make a career decision ASAP.

My aunt has been shoving the idea of being an accountant down my head for as long as two years. I mean sure I did accounting for a year but that's different... What's taught in high school and what's taught in Uni are different right?

I went to do research on forums and the web of course, but so far I have been getting alot of negative feedback about the whole
INTP + Accounting = flinging yourself down a hellhole of doom.

So I did look up on alternatives like the typical INTP job - computer programmer... and am still looking up on that too.

I wanna keep my options open...

__
So I was wondering if any INTPs here are accountants (or once was..) and how was the experience like?

So my questions are,
1) Any INTP that majored in accounting ,how was the experience like?
(Did you find yourself barely managing to pass a class etc.. ?)

2) What other MBTI types would you say were most common in your college classes or work place?

3) I heard that the actual work is a lot different than what you learn?
(Like... is it hardcore repetitive work?)

4) Do you use much of your functions (primary and secondary; Ti, Ne) as an accountant?

5) Why do you enjoy accounting?

It's good to hear from other types too about what you think of an INTP as an accountant.

Thanks a lot :D .. I really need help here ... in about 6 months I'm going to be making this one big life decision and I don't wanna screw things up starting from the very beginning....

Start coding. As an INTP you were born to be a genius coder. Stay away from accounting it will eat away at your soul.

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
Start coding. As an INTP you were born to be a genius coder. Stay away from accounting it will eat away at your soul.

As an INTJ who is also a CCS and RHIT, I agree. Accounting sucks ball but it is worth learning some.