First 4567 Last

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTj

Quote Originally Posted by IZthe411 View Post
    Accounting involves principles- so If you understand the principles you can easily understand how issues play out in the big picture.

Like someone mentioned, those who look for some kind of pattern in the details will fail, because they don't learn how to think in terms of principles. The way a problem is presented in a textbook will differ from the test, and differ in real life, but if you get the underlying principle, you can find the best answer.
    I kind of always found accounting principles to be way too simple to be interesting. I mean, in comparison to langevin equations, brownian motion, aperiodic solids, lorentz equations...accounting has somewhat lame rules, a 7-yo kid could easily learn most accounting.
    ENTj 7-3-8 sx/sp

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Shaunward View Post
    Bah, you don't know what you're talking about here. M&A and financial accounting is exciting. Allocating resources, shifting them around.

I love algebra and mathematics. Always have. Interesting stuff.
    I'm talking about financial accounting, not bookkeeping.

M&As are exciting, I agree.

If you can work in some consulting capacity as well, yes.

But all of that stems from an accounting foundation. If you have the ability to use it towards your dreams, there you go.

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by FDG View Post
    I kind of always found accounting principles to be way too simple to be interesting. I mean, in comparison to langevin equations, brownian motion, aperiodic solids, lorentz equations...accounting has somewhat lame rules, a 7-yo kid could easily learn most accounting.
    There's interest to be found all over, even in the simple things. I think that some people tend to look down on things that are simple, and feel some kind of superiority in understanding the matter in your comment.

I know you are exaggerating about the 7 year old, man....

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTj

Quote Originally Posted by IZthe411 View Post
    There's interest to be found all over, even in the simple things. I think that some people tend to look down on things that are simple, and feel some kind of superiority in understanding the matter in your comment.

I know you are exaggerating about the 7 year old, man....
    I just find it more mentally engaging, it's really not a matter of superiority. I recognize the usefulness of accounting (as I said, I've actually studied it a lot...).
    ENTj 7-3-8 sx/sp

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    3w2

Bah, you don't know what you're talking about here. M&A and financial accounting is exciting. Allocating resources, shifting them around.

I love algebra and mathematics. Always have. Interesting stuff.
    Truth! High five!!
    "Beware Those Who Are ALWAYS READING BOOKS" - Bukowski

Quote Originally Posted by Gamine View Post
    Truth! High five!!
    Because of your avatar, I picture you as being Mr. Bean and trying to actually give me a high five :p

*keyword: trying

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    3w2

Because of your avatar, I picture you as being Mr. Bean and trying to actually give me a high five :p

*keyword: trying

... and instead building a contraption using brooms and rope on the hood of my car to high five you for me? Pretty much.

I've taken an accounting/finance background and found so many facets of opportunity. What do you enjoy doing? It sounds like you are hungry for more dynamic challenging problem solving. School slows everything down though unless you are learning things that are awesome!

Two very sexy words though.

Forensic accounting.

HOT!!!!
    "Beware Those Who Are ALWAYS READING BOOKS" - Bukowski

MBTI
    no
    Enneagram
    no
    Socionics
    no Ni

Default Re : Need advice; can INTPs be succesful Accountants?

Accountants are really helpful if you want to keep your taxes and expenses organized on a monthly basis. They can be your financial partner for life. A good accountant must have knowledge about your business environment, your tax situation and your financial statements. A good accountant allows you to evaluate profitability in your business.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ENFP

Quote Originally Posted by equanimity View Post
    Hi there, I'm currently in high school and am in a dilemma about what I'm going to be majoring in Uni.

I really do like Psychology but dismissed the idea after my family's disapproval (Thanks to manipulation etc.) ...

We don't always get to do what we're really passionate about ... I mean we don't always start out with an opportunity to do a job that we're passionate in. But I want to make that opportunity but to get that I'd have to be independent enough to make my own living... at the point where I don't have to account to anyone what I'm doing etc....
    I won't have to hear shit about my "unfeminine" thinking (Yes I'm an INTP girl.) ,or how I should be a social butterfly etc.

and yes, not even telling me what religion i shoud be in! or telling me "how dumb I am for being Agnostic".
    So yeah I want to be free from all of these, and have some dignity for shit's sake.

Sorry for the rant, I'm basically in a very nasty situation with relatives breathing down my neck to make a career decision ASAP.

My aunt has been shoving the idea of being an accountant down my head for as long as two years. I mean sure I did accounting for a year but that's different... What's taught in high school and what's taught in Uni are different right?

I went to do research on forums and the web of course, but so far I have been getting alot of negative feedback about the whole
    INTP + Accounting = flinging yourself down a hellhole of doom.

So I did look up on alternatives like the typical INTP job - computer programmer... and am still looking up on that too.

I wanna keep my options open...

__
    So I was wondering if any INTPs here are accountants (or once was..) and how was the experience like?

So my questions are,
    1) Any INTP that majored in accounting ,how was the experience like?
    (Did you find yourself barely managing to pass a class etc.. ?)

2) What other MBTI types would you say were most common in your college classes or work place?

3) I heard that the actual work is a lot different than what you learn?
    (Like... is it hardcore repetitive work?)

4) Do you use much of your functions (primary and secondary; Ti, Ne) as an accountant?

5) Why do you enjoy accounting?

It's good to hear from other types too about what you think of an INTP as an accountant.

Thanks a lot .. I really need help here ... in about 6 months I'm going to be making this one big life decision and I don't wanna screw things up starting from the very beginning....
    Start coding. As an INTP you were born to be a genius coder. Stay away from accounting it will eat away at your soul.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    8w9

Quote Originally Posted by andresimon View Post
    Start coding. As an INTP you were born to be a genius coder. Stay away from accounting it will eat away at your soul.
    As an INTJ who is also a CCS and RHIT, I agree. Accounting sucks ball but it is worth learning some.
    I like to rock n' roll all night and *part* of every day. I usually have errands... I can only rock from like 1-3.