User Tag List

First 12345 Last

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

In my line of business, I come into contact with a lot of accountants. Nearly all of the happy, successful ones who enjoy their work are ISTJs.
    83% I 70% N 64% T 73% P | 5w4 sp/so/sx | Chaotic Good

MBTI
    ENFP

Quote Originally Posted by equanmity
    Hmm what other sort of work is there other than auditing and all the boring repetitive things?
    I'm not sure what options I'd have.... once I get that degree, I am expected to find work with that.... and if I ever want to get into a psych program, I'll have to work and pay for it. Thanks for the info btw
    Yeah, I didn't do a very good job of explaining that. Instead of getting your CPA and doing the same repetitive crap for your clients each year, you can work as a staff accountant or controller for a private company. Every business needs someone to handle their books, so there's plenty of demand for good accountants (the job description for a small company will probably be something like "full-charge bookkeeper" instead of accountant, but the pay is still good enough that your family should be satisfied).

There's still a lot of repetitive work you can never avoid, but you'll have new situations coming up all the time that require you to use your Ne and figure it out on the fly. It's even better if you work in the field you're interested in (like psych) because you'll be exposed to the terminology and some of the quirks of the business before you even get to grad school. Depending on your grad school and work schedule, you should be able to at least get most of the classes out of the way while you're still working. A lot of schools offer night classes for working students and you might be able to get some flexibility from your employer if you've been working there for awhile and they want to keep you when you're done with school. (FWIW, I worked the whole time I was in college, so I'm not just throwing out useless idealistic suggestions here...it is actually possible.)

Even school may not be as bad as you think. I'm not sure how they do it over there, but my accounting classes hardly ever graded on attendance or homework, so you were fine as long as you knew the material when it was time to take the test. This is where Ne can help you tremendously if you approach the class in the right way. The ISTJs get bogged down in the details and freak out when one thing is a little bit different on the test. Look at the big picture and try to understand why each type of account is handled the way it is and you'll be a lot better off.

Quote Originally Posted by INTPness
    As far as using Ne - not even close.
    I actually don't agree with this statement at all. My Ne made me extremely good at the type of work I did because I could spot things that just "didn't look right" on the financials. More than once I found an error that had my boss shaking his head and asking "How did you even know to look for that?"

Quote Originally Posted by nozflubber View Post
    depends..... can said INTP smoke MJ while doing said accounting? If so then hellz yeah, we'd love it!
    Ok, that one I do agree with.
    "I prefer to be true to myself, even at the hazard of incurring the ridicule of others, rather than to be false, and to incur my own abhorrence." Frederick Douglass

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

Quote Originally Posted by Trentham View Post
    In my line of business, I come into contact with a lot of accountants. Nearly all of the happy, successful ones who enjoy their work are ISTJs.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

Quote Originally Posted by scattershot View Post
    I actually don't agree with this statement at all. My Ne made me extremely good at the type of work I did because I could spot things that just "didn't look right" on the financials. More than once I found an error that had my boss shaking his head and asking "How did you even know to look for that?"
    I guess we can find ways and instances to use Ne in whatever situation/career we find ourselves in, but my experience with accounting was that Ne was definitely not the normal mode of operation.

Ne is perceptive, so yeah, we can use that in accounting. But, I think of Ne as creative, outside the box, humorous, keeping things light, etc. Accounting is kind of the opposite of those things. But, to each his own. If you enjoy it, that's great.

Nips away your dignity Fluffywolf's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9 sp/sx

I do accounting/administration stuff when I need too.

Accounting is pretty fun when you're working with cool constructions and you're saving lotsa money with them, but mostly it's just really really boring. I'm glad I don't have to do it -that- much. I can't do a deskjob working numbers for an entire day without feeling numb at the end of the day.

Can intp's do it? Ofcourse. Do intp's enjoy doing it? Mostly not. At times maybe yes, but mostly, you'll just want to scratch your eyes out.

Leave accounting to ISTJ's.
    ~Self-depricating Megalomaniacal Superwolf

MBTI
    ¥¤
    Enneagram
    3w4 sp/so

I don't see why not. If anything, it seems like it'd be the perfect job for INTPs. Accounting is best suited to logical, introverted people who are good with numbers.

I'm one letter away from being an INTP, but personally speaking, that's enough to keep me far away from the field.

MBTI
    ENFJ
    Enneagram
    3w2
    Socionics
    EIE None

Quote Originally Posted by equanimity View Post
    Hi there, I'm currently in high school and am in a dilemma about what I'm going to be majoring in Uni. ...
    I wanna keep my options open...
    It's good to hear from other types too about what you think of an INTP as an accountant.

Thanks a lot .. I really need help here ... in about 6 months I'm going to be making this one big life decision and I don't wanna screw things up starting from the very beginning....
    I'm sure you *could* be...no doubts that you could do it.
    But would you enjoy it?
    Would you feel fulfilled?
    What about closing off your options by choosing a career, how well will you weather that?
    What's more, how would you like closing off your options by choosing a career such as accounting?
    Its a very specific career...very specialized, and I don't know there is a lot of variety in daily routine.

Hi there, I'm currently in high school and am in a dilemma about what I'm going to be majoring in Uni.

I really do like Psychology but dismissed the idea after my family's disapproval (Thanks to manipulation etc.) ...

We don't always get to do what we're really passionate about ... I mean we don't always start out with an opportunity to do a job that we're passionate in. But I want to make that opportunity but to get that I'd have to be independent enough to make my own living... at the point where I don't have to account to anyone what I'm doing etc....
    I won't have to hear shit about my "unfeminine" thinking (Yes I'm an INTP girl.) ,or how I should be a social butterfly etc.

and yes, not even telling me what religion i shoud be in! or telling me "how dumb I am for being Agnostic".
    So yeah I want to be free from all of these, and have some dignity for shit's sake.

Sorry for the rant, I'm basically in a very nasty situation with relatives breathing down my neck to make a career decision ASAP.

My aunt has been shoving the idea of being an accountant down my head for as long as two years. I mean sure I did accounting for a year but that's different... What's taught in high school and what's taught in Uni are different right?

I went to do research on forums and the web of course, but so far I have been getting alot of negative feedback about the whole
    INTP + Accounting = flinging yourself down a hellhole of doom.

So I did look up on alternatives like the typical INTP job - computer programmer... and am still looking up on that too.

I wanna keep my options open...

__
    So I was wondering if any INTPs here are accountants (or once was..) and how was the experience like?

So my questions are,
    1) Any INTP that majored in accounting ,how was the experience like?
    (Did you find yourself barely managing to pass a class etc.. ?)

2) What other MBTI types would you say were most common in your college classes or work place?

3) I heard that the actual work is a lot different than what you learn?
    (Like... is it hardcore repetitive work?)

4) Do you use much of your functions (primary and secondary; Ti, Ne) as an accountant?

5) Why do you enjoy accounting?

It's good to hear from other types too about what you think of an INTP as an accountant.

Thanks a lot .. I really need help here ... in about 6 months I'm going to be making this one big life decision and I don't wanna screw things up starting from the very beginning....
    Do not become an accountant. You would be bored to tears. Sure, you could quite possibly ace a math test. But accounting is very, very ISTJ. It is dreadfully dreary stuff for an INTP to be adding up figures repeatedly for decades.

Why not become a psychologist or psychiatrist? Have you considered something like forensic psychiatry?

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILI Ni

Quote Originally Posted by Fecal McAngry View Post
    Do not become an accountant. You would be bored to tears. Sure, you could quite possibly ace a math test. But accounting is very, very ISTJ. It is dreadfully dreary stuff for an INTP to be adding up figures repeatedly for decades.

Why not become a psychologist or psychiatrist? Have you considered something like forensic psychiatry?
    Right. I do know some pretty successful ESTJs in it though as well.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTj

The thing is, like I have previously mentioned that it was a whole big set-up to get me here to study... I'm just a tool for my family to manipulate, they want me to get a PR here in Australia, for their own benefit. The thing is, they want me to get a PR ASAP, and they believe that accounting is the easy way there. But then again, it looks "Easy" to them, but what about me? I can't stand boring repetitive detail work....

Then again, I was thinking about Economics.. having a bachelors in Economics or a bachelors in accounting, either way.. I can still become an accountant. I did mention that to them but they didn't have any of that. They told me if I were to get into Economics, It won't cover accounting-related stuff and etc etc I won't be able to get a PR if I didn't get into Accounting instead. I found their explanation really flawed... because if jobs like accountants were lacking.. what has this got to do with what bachelors I got?

Is it really true that If I get a bachelors in economics, I would have low chances in becoming an accountant?
    How does it actually work?
    Well, I don't know what is a "PR", so I can't reply to that point. However, I'm pretty sure (around 99%) that you can become an accountant with a degree in economics, provided you have taken some courses in accounting (3 courses are usually enough to understand the founding notions, anything else can be studied indipendently, when you have to take the certification). The two subjects deal mostly with the same type of quantities (even if economics tries to build theorethical models, thus you will see the accounting part only as a starting setup, while accounting studies the details of balance sheet, etc.), notions, etc.
    Really, I'm telling you this because I know a good number of people with PURE economics degrees (not even accounting minors) that now deal with that type of stuff as their main job. Of course, they have chosen to do it, because economics has the benefit of giving a wider range of available occupations.
    ENTj 7-3-8 sx/sp