• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

How to find potentially good companies to seek work from?

Ghost of the dead horse

filling some space
MBTI Type
ENTJ
How to compile lists like this? I've never in my life sent an open application before, even tho I've been in the work for some 12 years now.

I know how to write the applications. But, I'm not sure how to select the companies I'm applying in. I think it should be a combination of
-job security
-pay
-match between my areas of expertise and needs of the company (almost same as the previous item)
-distance to workplace
-match between the corporate/workplace identity and my values (perhaps, or then, screw the values)
-day to day life in the office

It's hard to evaluate these all, and I'd like to start from something else than seeking at random.

One chance is starting from well-known software, hardware and retail companies I've come across with in my previous jobs. At least I've already got first impressions from the company, then.

I think that kinds of workplaces only cover part of the jobs I'd like to be in, now. I'm kind of stressed out from all the work I've done, so perhaps I'd like to do some system administration stuff in a governmental office, namely, almost any big office where there's likely some computer technicians/system admins employed. The office might be in the field of health care, security, research, anything. But, this kind of a wide scope isn't likely to find me the jobs I'd most likely succeed in.

So, I'd like to do some detective work to find some companies that match my criteria. But, what kind of sources are there, in general? I'm talking in general, here, because I'm seeking a job in Finland.

Ghost of the dead horse

filling some space
MBTI Type
ENTJ
I just woke up, so the OP is unclear. Ok, so my point is to find, with some method, a list of companies that at the same time might want to employ me, and where I'd like to be employed.

How can one do such search while being most open to possibilities, while still restrictive in the search criteria used?

BlueScreen

Fail 2.0
MBTI Type
YMCA
I'm not sure. I'd like to know also. Job search ads talk about great opportunities and how I will be inspired and stuff. All of which is zero use to me in knowing what I'll be doing and choosing the right job. In a way those companies have become like restaurants who won't list their prices. My first reaction is to go onto the next listing, and I'm instantly sceptical about them.

I think I have given up on job searches completely and am now exploring what areas I am interested in and the best companies who do this in my region, then researching the companies. To get a start on this I visited the careers centre at uni.

Scott N Denver

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
your best bet would be to talk to people who work for those companies, if you can. HR will probably always claim things, but that doesn't mean what they claim is actually truthful or valid.

speculative

Feelin' FiNe
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Are you looking to compile a list of possible companies to apply to? Or, are you looking to choose between companies you already have added to a list?

If you are looking for companies, I would try professional associations (if you are in a "defined" industry that has such things), and also chambers of commerce that the businesses will belong to. I'm not sure about such organizations in Finland, but would suspect every country has some sort of similar organization.

lilikoi

MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
5w6?
I don't know about your industry, but my (former) industry was always on the hunt for good talent, because there is such a shortage. I wouldn't worry about whether or not they're looking to hire. Some companies are willing to hire a good fit even if they don't advertise.

If you've been in your industry for 12 years, you should know other people in it at other companies and be familiar with other companies in your industry. You can start by talking to your contacts. Research the companies. Find out what they specialize in. Compile a list of the ones that interest you. You can also search phonebooks, the internet, industry publications, tradeshows, professional organizations, etc.

Once you have a list you're satisfied with, start a preliminary "weed out". Does your expertise match that of the company? If not, cross it out unless you're considering further training. Is the potential commute acceptable? If not, cross it out. Does the company's mission/identity/purpose/image violate any personal values? If it does and it is not acceptable to you, cross it out.

The other criteria on your list involves talking with "insiders". Knowing them already will make it much easier to ferret out the info. If job security is important to you, do not rule out government jobs. You can sometimes find pay info on currently advertised positions, or industry publications may publish some info.

You cannot know what the day to day life of a company is like until you are in there. To me this means what your coworkers, boss(es), working environment are like. If everything else checks out, you'll want to send the company a letter of inquiry, resume, application, and hopefully you will be invited to interview. Maybe you could drive by the office location and scope it out. One you're in, observe - do the people working there seem to enjoy themselves? Are they friendly amongst themselves? Can you picture yourself in there day in and day out? Is the personality of your supervisor acceptable?

Maybe before you even start, look at your list of criteria again and make sure you got everything. Is there anything else important to you in a job?

As far as job security goes, it may be helpful to figure out how the money flows. Where is it coming from? Does the company have good relationships with its clients and the rest of the industry?