User Tag List

12 Last

MBTI
    iSFj
    Enneagram
    2 sx/so

Default Office Christmas Parties

How do you feel about them? Do you feel it's necessary to attend them?

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by Giggly View Post
    I'm 30, and many of my peers are my age. For us, when we like companies we are more than happy to go, and when we don't like our company and/or its people we don't go. The older people seem to go more. As several people said "free food and booze, I'm in!"

For me I'm way more interested in going if the event is during normal work hours and far less interested if its after hours.

Since it is relevant to the question, I'm typologically miscast in my work and from many of my coworkers, so my interest level in spending time with those individuals is "within epsilon of zero" as we use to say in some of my math classes.

MBTI
    INtP

Quote Originally Posted by Giggly View Post
    In general, my inclination is to skip out if possible. But if the free food's good enough, well, a long lunch never hurt me . Mostly though, it's an exercise in seeing just how little I have in common with my coworkers when there's lots of chat about kids, grandkids, church, etc. Even though I *like* a lot of them, there's often (okay, almost never) much of a connection outside of our work priorities (if then).

Quote Originally Posted by Scott N Denver View Post
    For me I'm way more interested in going if the event is during normal work hours and far less interested if its after hours.
    I'm with Scott on this one. Even free food won't get me to attend a work party after hours. If the workplace hierarchy is in place at an event, it's work, and it's not likely to be a free-and-fun place to socialize (as little as I do that anyway ).

I was invited to two holiday parties at work this year - both were during the day. I went to one (our client's party), and was basically required to skip our own because management wanted me (and others working on a particular project) in the office working instead.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

MBTI
    INTj

I decided not to attend this year's. Smalltalk is bad enough without me having to shout above the noise. The party is big, so I don't think anyone will notice my absence.

Tempbanned
    Enneagram
    8w9

I'm going to a Christmas party for my MMA gym tonight!

Hopefully its a lot of fun.

MBTI
    ENTP

Looks like somebody's got a case of the Mondays.
    The probability that I was procrastinating when I was typing this post:

P(have big assignment due) = 0.6
    P(posting on TypoC) = 0.2
    P(having big assignment due | posting on TypoC) = 0.7

P(posting on TypoC | having big assignment due) = .......

Eh, I'll finish it later.

MBTI
    ESFP
    Enneagram
    9w8

Quote Originally Posted by DiscoBiscuit View Post
    I'm going to a Christmas party for my MMA gym tonight!

Hopefully its a lot of fun.
    that sounds like it should be tons of fun!

Quote Originally Posted by Scott N Denver View Post
    For us, when we like companies we are more than happy to go, and when we don't like our company and/or its people we don't go.
    that seems right. i would think that the best parties are always the ones where you have something unifying that is drawing you together.

i have never worked in an "office" setting, but i have been to lots of work parties. i like work related christmas parties, i have always had a great time at them. the best work christmas parties i went to were when i was a member of a Philadelphia Labor Union. Labor Unions, THEY know how to party!
    i am going to a fire department christmas party this year, i work for the department. firefighters throw great christmas parties, but they are much more of a family feel.

MBTI
    ENTP

nessesary evil, not mad keen on them - its all a bit too unnatural. It ralyl depends on where I am working, sometime they are nice.

MBTI
    YaYa

At my boss' house. I don't want to go but there won't be a ton of people so it would be obvious if I don' show up. More of a political move.

painful.

However after two glasses of wine I looked over at the Director of Regulatory Affairs, an ISTJ and told her "Your dress is so beautiful...so blue and shiny and scalloped...like a beautiful whale!"

Which of course sent the engineers into silent spasms of laughter. Then we postulated that it was one of the smaller, more dainty whales, more a beluga that a blue whale. Or perhaps a narwhale cause they have those awesome spikes like a unicorn....

It's okay as she is my buddy and we left early and went dancing in this awesome little open air club to a great cover band until 2 am.