MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    5w6?

Default ISTP career suggestions please?

Career needs to:

-Be hands on, working with someTHING not people or ideas
    -Be primarily in nature, at least 50/50 indoors/nature ratio
    -Involve travel to remote places, near or far; bonus for travel by less conventional means (prop plane, llama's back, backpacking, wooden canoe, hot air balloon...)
    -Have tangible, immediate, practical applications -- no "let's study xyz purely for the sake of knowledge" kind of thing; bonus if it helps people and is good for the environment at the same time.
    -Requires problem solving, improvising, observation

I have always been very excited by "field expeditions". I just can't figure out what field I should be in - pardon the pun.

I am:

Currently have a degree in mechanical engineering. There are some aspects of it that I do enjoy (I've worked in the real world for a few years now to try it out), but I need a connection to nature and am willing to start over in undergrad to get it if I have to.

If someone can help me figure out how to make the following personality trait of mine an asset rather than liability, I would be deeply grateful:

I seek information and knowledge only when I see a practical, tangible, immediate use for it. When such opportunity arises, I become an expert with very little effort. To learn the same information when I don't see an immediate application, I have to expend great amounts of energy and frustration. I have the mental capacity to comprehend even the most complex physics theory but rarely the motivation.

Careers I am currently looking into:

Photojournalism - I'm afraid I'd be poor and unemployed forever.
    Investigative journalism - Not sure if writing for a living would be enjoyable.
    Ethnobotany - Not sure if I have aptitude for mastering natural sciences.
    Plant explorer - Do people still pay for this?
    Environmental law - Don't know if I can handle long work hours indoors.
    Marine biologist - I feel like there are too many of them already.
    Agriculture something - Not sure if I'd get to travel, probably not to remote places, I'd be working outdoors but not in a pristine natural environment.

MBTI
    INTP

If you live in Hawaii like your names suggest then you are in a prime location for marine biology. I did a summer stint as a chemist at a marine lab in Florida, and I loved it. If you can get your foot in the door, you'll spend your days going out and collecting, or tagging, or observing creatures -- anything from mussels to sharks, and everything between -- whether as a diver, or just wading through mud. You can't be squeamish though.

However motivation is an issue, and as in any kind of science an ISTP is more suited to behind the scenes work and applied research -- problem solving mode -- rather than pure, original research where you have to first come up with the ideas. Most of us simply don't see a point in conducting experiments that don't have a tangible, direct application. This is currently what I struggle with in my chosen profession as a chemist.

The other downside of biology degrees is the whole "working for peanuts" aspect...

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5

stereotypical ISTP professions: military, police, stuntwork, mechanic, repairwork, smokejumper, firefighter, etc

Quote Originally Posted by lilikoi View Post
    Career needs to:

-Be hands on, working with someTHING not people or ideas
    -Be primarily in nature, at least 50/50 indoors/nature ratio
    -Involve travel to remote places, near or far; bonus for travel by less conventional means (prop plane, llama's back, backpacking, wooden canoe, hot air balloon...)
    -Have tangible, immediate, practical applications -- no "let's study xyz purely for the sake of knowledge" kind of thing; bonus if it helps people and is good for the environment at the same time.
    -Requires problem solving, improvising, observation

I have always been very excited by "field expeditions". I just can't figure out what field I should be in - pardon the pun.

I am:

Currently have a degree in mechanical engineering. There are some aspects of it that I do enjoy (I've worked in the real world for a few years now to try it out), but I need a connection to nature and am willing to start over in undergrad to get it if I have to.

If someone can help me figure out how to make the following personality trait of mine an asset rather than liability, I would be deeply grateful:

I seek information and knowledge only when I see a practical, tangible, immediate use for it. When such opportunity arises, I become an expert with very little effort. To learn the same information when I don't see an immediate application, I have to expend great amounts of energy and frustration. I have the mental capacity to comprehend even the most complex physics theory but rarely the motivation.

Careers I am currently looking into:

Photojournalism - I'm afraid I'd be poor and unemployed forever.
    Investigative journalism - Not sure if writing for a living would be enjoyable.
    Ethnobotany - Not sure if I have aptitude for mastering natural sciences.
    Plant explorer - Do people still pay for this?
    Environmental law - Don't know if I can handle long work hours indoors.
    Marine biologist - I feel like there are too many of them already.
    Agriculture something - Not sure if I'd get to travel, probably not to remote places, I'd be working outdoors but not in a pristine natural environment.
    An ISTP who is married to an INTJ friend of mine is the stage manager for a major television talk show on NBC.

My orthopedic surgeon, who is extremely respected in his field, is an ISTP.

Both jobs are hands on, and both guys are very good at what they do. These aren't outdoor jobs, but during their down time they are quite active (hiking, golf, soccer, etc.).

I'll try to think of more ISTPs I know tomorrow when I'm less tired.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott N Denver View Post
    stereotypical ISTP professions: military, police, stuntwork, mechanic, repairwork, smokejumper, firefighter, etc
    The Quintessential ISTP
    YouTube - Clint Eastwood Sudden Impact Coffee

ISTP is a difficult type to pick a job for. In my view they are the most all round skilled type. Whatever you are most interested in and good at seems best. That seems to be what all the ones I know end up in eventually.
    Freude, schöner Götterfunken Tochter aus Elysium, Wir betreten feuertrunken, Himmlische, dein Heiligtum! Deine Zauber binden wieder Was die Mode streng geteilt; Alle Menschen werden Brüder, Wo dein sanfter Flügel weilt.

MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    9w8 sp/sx

And here I was looking for some ideas...

MBTI
    ISTP

Yacht deliveries can work out pretty well when you have a laundry list of things you want to do like this. By not using the engine you can be pretty environmentally friendly and there are plenty of new destinations to photograph. Definitely requires problem solving, improvising, observation; and certainly ticks the 'time spent in nature' box.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

veterinarian?

MBTI
    entp

if you already have a degree i mech eng, you can go be a pilot or even better a test pilot....wikipedia it