User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    INTP

Default Youtube: Do schools kill creativity?

[YOUTUBE="iG9CE55wbtY"]Do schools kill creativity?[/YOUTUBE]

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    8 sx
    Socionics
    --- Te

Do schools kill creativity? I don't think so - particularly when you consider the ambiguity for what it means to be creative. That would really be a matter of perspective as opposed to anything else.

... None the less, I would think schools generally support the personal growth in fulfilling one's creativity.

Mud and rain and chaos... TickTock's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w3

Yes. I've seen that video about five times. It's right on the money. We need a new education system! This one is outdated.
    ~ Truth ~ Freedom ~ Health ~ Love ~ Communication ~ Humor ~ Respect ~

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    8w7 sx/so
    Socionics
    EIE

Alright, this thing is pretty much true at least for Sweden.
    And I know that it is for much of the world.

I believe schools does kill creativity to a large extent.
    They are designed to produce machines for work, more or less.
    If you think about what kind of people that excels as pupils, and see it for what it is, you'd agree.

I spent twelve years in mandatory school and a couple of years of college without the teachers actually giving me anything. If I didn't know more than they did already about the subject - I tried to listen, i'm not a complete arrogant bastard - they simply made the subjects so boring that it was impossible to take in.
    And what's with the homework? Isn't school five days a week from 08.00 to 16.00 enough?
    I always found school to be much more tiring than work ever was. In fact, i'm less tired when having worked for ten hours straight without a break than I used to be around lunch time in school.

My time in school was the worst time of my life, and I feel like i'm recovering from it piece by piece still.
    Here's a list of what school didn't teach me, despite all the hours spent there:

- Reading/writing
    - English
    - German
    - Maths
    - Grammar and punctuation
    - Chemistry
    - History
    - Social studies
    - Religion studies
    - Creative writing
    - Pedagogy
    - Computers/tech
    - Electronics
    - Geography
    - Economy
    - Politics
    - Public speaking
    - Music
    - Maths
    - Physics
    - Leadership
    - Military education
    - Graphic design
    - Geology
    - Theater
    - Art

And several others.
    I spent all my time in school feigning listening to boring shit, did a test, and forgot all about it.
    It was those times when I got home and read my own books that I actually learned anything.
    Besides that, school made me feel like shit. I hated the experience.

Now that i'm out of school, i'm trying to salvage the pieces of my creativity and imagination that are still left and piece them together once again.
    One could say that i'm growing increasingly childish in some areas, and I love it.
    I'm never going back to school again, be certain of it.
    I love learning, but I hate any authority having a part of it.
    Sure, authority is needed for people who don't want to learn...
    But what is the point of teaching someone who doesn't want to be tutored?
    Either, the child will break and become something lesser, or it will rebel in some way and not "progress".

Mightier than the tread of marching armies is the power of an idea whose time has come

MBTI
    INTP

Ask any teacher and they will say, "Of course I love when my students are creative!" But there isn't much encouragement to actually be creative. Students are always told to be so, but though the teacher says, "Be creative," they don't act like they really want it. I blame the system, not the teachers. But for a student to be creative requires defiance, because the implicit message is to conform. A student who acts creative is not more creative than all the others, just less easily controlled.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    8 sx
    Socionics
    --- Te

PE - Physical Education.

... Can agree on that that was where I got disappointed during the school days. The sports department was poorly funded, inapt, and generally despicable for anyone wanting to reach talent. To tell but the least - there was no way to prove your talent with the sports because the damn Heads were a bunch of morons, too. I don't know; they selected ameteurs, ameteurs who could do nothing else but run around hyperactively, over the highly skilled for the sports positions. Pisses me off even til today that that could happen. That was also one of the few classes I really enjoyed, and wanted to make the most of!!!

I guess that's the only real disappointment I'd endured from the school days - in terms of recreational creativity. I remember the faces of those Heads, and it boils my blood even til today. How I'd get my own back from what I'd endured. Irony - LOOK AT ME TODAY!

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram

Schools eliminate creativity.
    Creativity eliminates schools.
    Is it that by its indefiniteness it shadows forth the heartless voids and immensities of the universe, and thus stabs us from behind with the thought of annihilation, when beholding the white depths of the milky way?

MBTI
    ENFJ

I'm so confused. Why is everyone assuming that schools kill creativity if it doesn't foster it? Do we have proof that children were more creative before schools happened? Sure, you can probably point to a few historical geniuses, but what are those compared to the reams and reams of nothing-special people?

Okay, so school teaches you to be a cog. But that doesn't mean that it necessarily kills creativity. It could just have no effect.
    -Carefully taking sips from the Fire Hose of Knowledge

Permabanned

school isn't about learning it's about initiation.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Uh, well there has to be a balance. There is definitely value in developing memorization, reading skills and comprehension, math skills, fact-based science learning, and exposing students to history, classical music, physical exercise, etc. All of this stuff is necessary - you can't just not teach students facts and memorization and rely completely on creativity to develop well-rounded, educated human beings.

Yes, public schools are limiting creativity more and more. I have had teachers complain to me - veteran teachers who have been teaching for 20 or 35 years - about how the system is closing in on them, and shutting out room for creativity in the classroom. No Child Left Behind in the U.S. is fucking crap.

There has to be a balance. There has to be a way to educate students without completely over-structuring their time and totally stifling their creativity. If I had a child right now, I don't know that I would send him or her to a public school - I would probably try my best to send him or her to a private school, or do homeschooling myself. I used to want to be a public school teacher,actually. In my first few semesters of college I was an Education major.