User Tag List

First 4567 Last

Quote Originally Posted by forzen View Post
    Of course there would be an extreme inbalance of S type school and N type school lol.
    And imagine if we had to play the S type school at sport.

I remember when we played electrical engineering vs mechanical engineering Australian rules football at uni. It was like computer geeks versus the university team. It took a lot of strategic thinking and weird tactics for us to even score a goal.
    Freude, schöner Götterfunken Tochter aus Elysium, Wir betreten feuertrunken, Himmlische, dein Heiligtum! Deine Zauber binden wieder Was die Mode streng geteilt; Alle Menschen werden Brüder, Wo dein sanfter Flügel weilt.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Socionics
    X/0

Quote Originally Posted by noigmn View Post
    And imagine if we had to play the S type school at sport.
    It's ok, we could get back at them in the chess tournament :steam:.
    This post grammatical errors had been intentionally left uncorrected.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTj

Quote Originally Posted by une_autre View Post
    I don't think schools kill creativity!
    Neither do I think that traditional schools from where I am coming are inefficient and dangerous.

First of all, the info they are teaching is not useless at all. It's called general knowledge.
    I grew up in a place with a traditional school - eastern europe, where we had lots of subjects - 13 or 14 and some really nasty teachers. While some of the teaching methods were completely counter productive and I would change those, the fact is that I did get out of school knowing lots of stuff, even from the nasty teachers!

Now I came in this place where people older than me have no idea about who Copernicus was or where is Mexico on the map, which is really, really sad. I cannot imagine that all students are that unwilling to learn or that all teachers are all that bad, so I can only infer that the "modern" system is the culprit. If you have just a few subjects and those have really loose requirements, you miss a lot of general knowledge!
    In this place, I actually feel surrounded by stupid people.

Frankly, I think that the traditional system was better!
    Now, with the modern system, which allows you to slack off and to actually learn nothing while passing is a mess. But noooo, it's called development of the teaching system.

Personally, I cannot see how this can encourage creativity in students who only want to graduate and take advantage of how loose the system is to get out of school knowing nothing. Why should you be creative if there is no reward for it?
    How can you be creative if you know NOTHING???

You can only be creative if you have a knowledge base and if your brain is put to the test and trained continuously. If your teachers really ask for more from you.
    I agree completely. I used to have a middle school math teacher that taught geometry by building it up from Euclid's postulates; he wanted us to prove the logically following theorems as homework and as small exams. It was hell at the time, because hey, proving theorems when you're 11 is not easy. But I can totally see now how it gave me (and many of my classmates) an edge in tackling university education, which is largely based on strict proofs.
    ENTj 7-3-8 sx/sp

Nickle Iron Silicone Charmed Justice's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFJ

I don't think theres such a thing as a useless information. I would have to say that traditional school teaches information that 90% of the time you would not use, but they do have practical purpose, however its up to you to find it.
    Well, of course, all information can be used in some way or another. If you decided that you wanted to sit around for hours a day taking in information just for the sake of it, that would be your choice. I do it all the time, and I like it because it's my decision. It's how I wish to spend my time. There is no supreme practical purpose, beyond the application within the institution of education itself, for the majority of what I learned in elementary-high school. Perhaps I could win a game of Jeopardy.

One of the problems with schools at the lowest level is that the learners/students are not choosing the continuous stream of inapplicable data that they are expected to absorb. They are being handed information, day after day, which they have had no input in selecting, very little responsibility to, and even less of an interest. In one ear, out the other. Don't forget to regurgitate for the test. Then the powers that be want to panic when faced with the fact that many children aren't even learning the basics in school, and then they demand that more money get pumped into the system, and that the arts, along with PE, get squeezed out.

I think the whole system needs an overhaul, and I'm talking the American system. I've got no clue what happens in other countries, but American schools are often very violent, frustrated places, where the children are frequently disengaged, medicated, bored, and praying for the final bell to ring. They often kill creativity, and much more.

I completely agree, but for me, I love to learn about anything. So no subject is unbareable for me. But, I can see how majority of the people just concentrate in one area that they like. However, creativity can arise in anything so why close your mind off on anything that has the potential to help you.
    I love to learn about a million different things too, but I also like to focus on those things that hold a priority in my heart and mind. Many young children have specific interest going into the school system. Unfortunately for them, a student's attention, especially at the lowest levels in education, is expected to respond to the sound of an overhead alarm. A child engrossed in a history lesson is forced to disengage his/her attention because it's time for something new and entirely unrelated to their current focus. Questions go unanswered because there's just not enough time to answer them all and not enough time to delve too deeply into any one subject. Yes, it's general knowledge. For a child with deep interest, general knowledge isn't good enough. Scratch the surface and mark off subjects as "covered". Done. The children have been "educated". It seems very superficial and wasteful in many ways, imo. There's something to be said for focus and a deep interest in something particular.

Of course some people will like it, and many will do just fine. That's the case with most mass institutions. Overall though, at least in the States, the system has done poorly.

I really think it's up to the person to put the effort. I don't really think schooling is neccessary if you have the drive to learn in the first place. So in my opinion, school is just another way for them to rip me off my money and put many student into debt. However, most instutition will not take you seriously unless you have that certificate, so in a way it's a neccessary evil. Plus, if you have the right professer, his experience is priceless. And for introvert such as myself, it exposes me to social network that i wouldn't underwise seek out which I think is neccessary for success, but I find most social situation boring.
    All healthy people have the drive to learn. How else could we manage to learn how to walk, talk, and socialize within the first three years of our lives?

There are some environments that acknowledge the general and specific ways in which people learn. I prefer child-led education, but there are also progressive institutions that do a great job of catering to the needs of the student, as they should.

As for college, there is generally a choice in attending college; whereas, lower level education is compulsory. People typically feel differently about things when they've made an active decision to participate and they truly feel as though the choice belongs to them.

"Now Opening, University of MBTI ...learning that specilized to your personality."

Of course there would be an extreme inbalance of S type school and N type school lol.
    Ooo, I like how you think.
    There is a thinking stuff from which all things are made, and which, in its original state, permeates, penetrates, and fills the interspaces of the universe.

MBTI
    INTP

I was thinking of starting a post, "Best university for an INTP?" We could make a list for every type.

I think it's a good idea. I think there should be more compiling of useful information on here. There's a lot that flows through, and a lot of knowledge floating around.
    Freude, schöner Götterfunken Tochter aus Elysium, Wir betreten feuertrunken, Himmlische, dein Heiligtum! Deine Zauber binden wieder Was die Mode streng geteilt; Alle Menschen werden Brüder, Wo dein sanfter Flügel weilt.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    1w9 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by noigmn View Post
    I think it's a good idea. I think there should be more compiling of useful information on here. There's a lot that flows through, and a lot of knowledge floating around.
    You mean compile the information in this thread? I think a "TypeC online degree" has a possible future lol

MBTI
    INTJ
    Socionics
    X/0

Quote Originally Posted by EnFpFer View Post
    Well, of course, all information can be used in some way or another. If you decided that you wanted to sit around for hours a day taking in information just for the sake of it, that would be your choice. I do it all the time, and I like it because it's my decision. It's how I wish to spend my time. There is no supreme practical purpose, beyond the application within the institution of education itself, for the majority of what I learned in elementary-high school. Perhaps I could win a game of Jeopardy.

One of the problems with schools at the lowest level is that the learners/students are not choosing the continuous stream of inapplicable data that they are expected to absorb. They are being handed information, day after day, which they have had no input in selecting, very little responsibility to, and even less of an interest. In one ear, out the other. Don't forget to regurgitate for the test. Then the powers that be want to panic when faced with the fact that many children aren't even learning the basics in school, and then they demand that more money get pumped into the system, and that the arts, along with PE, get squeezed out.

I think the whole system needs an overhaul, and I'm talking the American system. I've got no clue what happens in other countries, but American schools are often very violent, frustrated places, where the children are frequently disengaged, medicated, bored, and praying for the final bell to ring. They often kill creativity, and much more.

I love to learn about a million different things too, but I also like to focus on those things that hold a priority in my heart and mind. Many young children have specific interest going into the school system. Unfortunately for them, a student's attention, especially at the lowest levels in education, is expected to respond to the sound of an overhead alarm. A child engrossed in a history lesson is forced to disengage his/her attention because it's time for something new and entirely unrelated to their current focus. Questions go unanswered because there's just not enough time to answer them all and not enough time to delve too deeply into any one subject. Yes, it's general knowledge. For a child with deep interest, general knowledge isn't good enough. Scratch the surface and mark off subjects as "covered". Done. The children have been "educated". It seems very superficial and wasteful in many ways, imo. There's something to be said for focus and a deep interest in something particular.

Of course some people will like it, and many will do just fine. That's the case with most mass institutions. Overall though, at least in the States, the system has done poorly.

All healthy people have the drive to learn. How else could we manage to learn how to walk, talk, and socialize within the first three years of our lives?

There are some environments that acknowledge the general and specific ways in which people learn. I prefer child-led education, but there are also progressive institutions that do a great job of catering to the needs of the student, as they should.

As for college, there is generally a choice in attending college; whereas, lower level education is compulsory. People typically feel differently about things when they've made an active decision to participate and they truly feel as though the choice belongs to them.

Ooo, I like how you think.
    Ok i was going to write up a long paragraph on the pros of going to a traditional school, but I agree with most of your points lol. I was going to play devils advocate but I lost the motivation after typing up the second paragraph . So i'll concede and give this thread a proper goodbye with a youtube video:

[YOUTUBE="M_bvT-DGcWw"]...[/YOUTUBE]
    This post grammatical errors had been intentionally left uncorrected.

MBTI
    esfp
    Enneagram
    8w9
    Socionics
    ILE

It depends on the system- I've lived in two different countries and went to public high school. In one country I feel like it's killing creativity, but it's also society's problem, because if a society accepts, supports and appreciates ''weird people'', then it allows them to be more creative. On the other hand, in my case as an ENTP I get out a real joy, while beating the system. So I was more extrovert in this prejudiced country, because in the other country I didn't have to act weird, show my originality, craziness and prove myself, because people accepts my personality.
    Back to the system. In one country it was more like in the US, but with way more subjects. A lot of tests. It teaches mobility, organizing your time, trust your intuition, trains memory and making the right decisions in stressful situations. On the other school it's completely opposite, it teaches how to use your mind to solve problems, offers way more freedom, everybody's equal, almost no tests.
    I see that I was more productive at the first school system, because of my personality I guess, they tried to make us similar, but really creative people always beat the system and becomes even more creative. The other school system is really good, correct, but it doesn't make you try harder, show your awesomness, because if everyone's equal anyways, it kills the competition, which is vitally needed for my type.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

wolfy makes an excellent point IMO. What is it about the Japanese education system that produces so much diverse talent in the arts and sciences, when it's far and away more regimented than the US system? I don't think regimentation in and of itself is a bad thing. I really, really think rapport is the key here. The US system (by and large) is so alienating.

I'm thinking of a private school my sister attended. It was very strict, but there was an overwhelming atmosphere of love and respect along with the strictures. She blossomed there, as much as I did at the Quaker school I attended where there were basically no rules and we were free to pursue most any learning experience we felt like pursuing.
    The one who buggers a fire burns his penis
    -anonymous graffiti in the basilica at Pompeii