Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by Haphazard View Post
    I'm so confused. Why is everyone assuming that schools kill creativity if it doesn't foster it? Do we have proof that children were more creative before schools happened? Sure, you can probably point to a few historical geniuses, but what are those compared to the reams and reams of nothing-special people?

Okay, so school teaches you to be a cog. But that doesn't mean that it necessarily kills creativity. It could just have no effect.
    You make a very good point. I mean, before mandantory schooling lots of little girls weren't educated at all aside from cooking, cleaning, and childcare - and children of poorer families worked on farms and in factories. That wasn't fostering creativity. I think public schools have a definite advantage over the way things were run in the past, with the exception of the way the wealthiest and most priveleged children were educated at home.

MBTI
    Why?
    Socionics
    SEX

I recently asked my daughter how much art her, and her classmates had done since September, out of general curiosity ... She showed me 2 small art assignments, and sadly, she seemed to not really care about how little art they had worked on in the last 3 months.... You can blame it all on those thinkers from the generation X era..Lol
    ... They say that knowledge is free, and to truly acquire wisdom always comes with a price... Well then,... That will be $10, please!

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Well maybe since schools aren't fostering creativity then parents should.

I learned a great deal as a child at home, combined with school learning.

Everyone keeps telling parents to get involved. Teachers can't do everything.

MBTI
    Why?
    Socionics
    SEX

Quote Originally Posted by marmalade.sunrise View Post
    Well maybe since schools aren't fostering creativity then parents should.

I learned a great deal as a child at home, combined with school learning.

Everyone keeps telling parents to get involved. Teachers can't do everything.
    I sometimes wonder if I have more craft/art supplies at home on my shelves then my kids grade school supply closet...
    ... They say that knowledge is free, and to truly acquire wisdom always comes with a price... Well then,... That will be $10, please!

I used to agree with Ken Robinson. But I have to agree with what Bill Gates said if standardized education kills creativity how come Japan produces so much creative work. Japan has one of the most standardized eduction systems in the world.

I think it is people that kill creativity. The individual themselves and the people around them.

As far as examples like 'Ms Smith told Johnny off for colouring outside the lines and now Johnny is not creative' well... that is a load of crapolla. Johnny is not going to be much of an artist if he doesn't have the skills to colour inside the lines.

Creativity's foundation is skills and knowledge.
    Last edited by wolfy; 12-08-2009 at 11:53 AM. Reason: fixed the spelling

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

I think television kills creativity, too. Kids just need to play and imagine and BE.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by wolfy View Post
    I used to agree with Ken Robinson. But I have to agree with what Bill Gates said if standardized eduction kills creativity how come Japan produces so much creative work. Japan has one of the most standardized eduction systems in the world.

I think it is people that kill creativity. The individual themselves and the people around them.

As far as examples like 'Ms Smith told Johnny off for colouring outside the lines and now Johnny is not creative' well... that is a load of crapolla. Johnny is not going to be much of an artist if he doesn't have the skills to colour inside the lines.

Creativity's foundation is skills and knowledge.
    is Japan known for being creative??? I thought lack of creativity/adaptableness was one of the biggest critiques against education in asian countries, and one of the biggest plusses of hiring, say, americans.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott N Denver View Post
    is Japan known for being creative??? I thought lack of creativity/adaptableness was one of the biggest critiques against education in asian countries, and one of the biggest plusses of hiring, say, americans.
    Of course not all Japanese are creative. But Japan does produce a lot of creative work. So, how can that be if schooling crushes creativity? That is my question, not that Japan is better than the US etc.

You have to understand the difference between originality and creativeness. To be creative means to create something that is novel and unique and that is also useful and seen to be creative to others. It is not enough to just be original.

You don't think Japan produces a lot of creative work?

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTj

I believe school doesn't outright encourage creativity, but it doesn't kill it either. Whenever I tried to be creative, teachers always gave me good - but not best - grades for my work, telling me: "This is excellent, you should keep on approaching assignment this way; however, I can't give you the highest mark since it does not fully respect what the curriculum sets for highest mark. Don't take it personally". It's perfectly understandable: school is man-made, thus it needs to be adapted to certain arbitrary standards. However, it seems that whenever you write papers and/or work creativity is definitely appreciated, as long as:
    - The conclusions you derive from creative premises match up with the data
    - Your creativity is enjoyed by your customers (if you're self-employed), or gives your boss more opportunities to make $$$

There's also practical reasons behind the general dubious attitude of humanity towards creativity. It's a really high-risk activity. If you engage in creative work and the result is less-than-satisfying, then you've wasted time that could have been dedicated to survival. Obviously, since nowadays a large part of humanity has means far above its basic needs, this attitude isn't productive; yet, since down to 200 years ago most of humanity still needed to practice subsistence agriculture to survive, it's understandable that we haven't fully adapted yet.
    ENTj 7-3-8 sx/sp

The Duchess of Oddity Queen Kat's Avatar
    MBTI
    E.T.
    Enneagram
    7w8

Mine does. Every time I had a year when I had to work hard for school, my creativity dropped. So it sure does. Even art classes here kill creativity!
    I was sitting outside the classroom waiting to go in, and I saw an airplane hit the tower. The TV was obviously on. I used to fly myself and I said, "There's one terrible pilot."
    - George W. Bush -

SCUAI - 7w8 sx/sp - Chaotic Evil - Fucking Cute - ALIVE

Blog. Read it, bitches.
    Questions? Click here
    If you don't agree about my MBTI type, you can complain about it here. I've had plenty of people telling me I'm something else, in my reputation box. That's annoying.