• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Sign language interpretor?

INTPness

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Anyone do this or know someone who does? What do you or they like or dislike about the job? Do you think there are certain MBTI types that this career suits best? S vs. N, for example?

ayoitsStepho

Twerking & Lurking
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Well I know ASL and have done a bit of communicating to Deaf communities. I know a couple of interpreters and they love their job. If you like being with people then it works. You can get paid up to $20/hr. Its really great and they're looking for lots of interpreters.
As for the whole S vs. N thing, I'd personally say S's are developed well for the job only because it involves physical communication and truly paying attention or you'll miss with the other person is communicating. But I'm sure any person can do it. Its just a physical thing and revolves all your attention. You have to look AT the person and not let your eyes wander around and such. I's and E's can do it because its not a verbal deal, its movement. As for the T vs F and J vs P, I really don't think those matter.

Halla74

Artisan Conquerer
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I speak the Fookt dialect of sign language...
Analyze_This.jpg

INTPness

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Well I know ASL and have done a bit of communicating to Deaf communities. I know a couple of interpreters and they love their job. If you like being with people then it works. You can get paid up to $20/hr. Its really great and they're looking for lots of interpreters.
As for the whole S vs. N thing, I'd personally say S's are developed well for the job only because it involves physical communication and truly paying attention or you'll miss with the other person is communicating. But I'm sure any person can do it. Its just a physical thing and revolves all your attention. You have to look AT the person and not let your eyes wander around and such. I's and E's can do it because its not a verbal deal, its movement. As for the T vs F and J vs P, I really don't think those matter.

Interesting. Thanks for the info!

I speak the Fookt dialect of sign language...
Analyze_This.jpg

Not nearly as interesting, but I laughed. Gotta love the ESTP's.

ayoitsStepho

Twerking & Lurking
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
How how easily threads get derailed when an SP is around.
:party:

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Dots knows sign language! :yes:

yes Indeedy I do :cheese:, I'd love to get back into it. It's so much fun :wubbie:.

I did it for 2years in HS and I actually did pretty good with it. I'm such a shy person I don't like speaking verbally anyway so that made me like all the more in the beginning xD.
Sign language it's amazing and of course they are such an interesting culture.

:laugh: nice one halla.

CzeCze

RETIRED
MBTI Type
GONE
Anyone do this or know someone who does? What do you or they like or dislike about the job? Do you think there are certain MBTI types that this career suits best? S vs. N, for example?

Not me but yes, I know people. It's basically like a cross between spoken language interpretation but with an added dramatic flair. Could you do it forever though?

You would need character traits necessary for any interpreter position, it really helps if you are naturally expressive or you derive great personal pleasure from helping people/connecting people. Because it's basically a hybrid of a communications job and a service job.

It's not a traditional 9-5 job.

wren

MBTI Type
infj
Enneagram

let me say that it sounds like a very good job for a Fe type who cares a lot about people. introverts would like it because you can stay in the background. one must have physical stamina because it looks exhausting. i've seen interpreters change off every 15 minutes or so when interpreting a long speech or event. it's a perfect job for someone who is nimble in hands and fingers and uses expression on their face for good effect. you can and should dress for the job in dark clothes. you will be paid way over 20 dollars an hour for your services. i'm projecting more like 120 dollars an hour. takes a lot of practice to become an expert at it like with any language. you must have an empathic understanding of the deaf community.

ayoitsStepho

Twerking & Lurking
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
what does this mean? is this a private joke between posters or is this about the discussion itself? :huh:

She's just saying the OP misspelled interpreter.
Trust me, no private jokes there ;)