User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5
    Socionics
    LoL

Default Forget Big Brother: Facebook, Corporations, and the End of Free Speech

Canadian woman loses benefits over Facebook photo - Yahoo! News

This intersecting of real life and Internet worlds such as Facebook and Myspace has got to stop. It is so ironic that we are living in the age of Big Brother, and it turns out it's self-imposed because people post TMI on the Internet. Even if this person was truly having fun at these events, as shown by the pictures, does that overturn a doctor's diagnosis of clinical depression?

It's time for another round of fair labor law legislation that bars employers from stepping into employee's personal lives on the Internet. It is truly ridiculous, when veterans of Internet forums (such as anyone reading this post) realize that 100% of anything anyone posts on the Internet could be 100% made-up falsehoods anyway, in which case the companies would be basing real-life decisions on malarky.

Where is the public outrage over these continual occurrences? Make no mistake, even if you just flip burgers in the corner fast food joint, your employer is monitoring you 24/7. Soon, we'll all have to wear that McDonald's smile everywhere we go, even while we are sleeping, or risk termination.

There's so much to be outraged about every day now, that it seems like this concept of privacy outsidethe workplace is lost on the general public. Are you fine with getting fired if you go to the beach, post a picture of your trip to your Facebook account, and your employer fires you the next day because they thought your bathing suit was a bit too skimpy/innappropriate and there's absolutely nothing you can do about it because of the current labor laws? :confused:
    "How can I be, all I want to be,
    When all I want to do is strip away these stilled constraints
    And crush this charade, shred this sad, masquerade"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qGeq5v7L3WM

MBTI
    INFJ

I got busted for a personal blog site I used to do years back, it was pretty R rated in terms of language and occasional pictures ( girl friday photos) I was required to remove it and or shut it down if I didn't want to be fired. I still to this day have no idea how they found it, but I was pretty pissed about having to can it, it had a really good traffic flow. Even though I never utilized it at work, they said I "represented" them and It had to go or I did.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5
    Socionics
    LoL

Edit: I am going to try a test, to see if I can find what I deleted still roaming around out there on the Internet.

Catch you on the flip side.

Tempbanned
    Enneagram
    8w9

Tinfoil hat much?

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    468 sx/sp
    Socionics
    EII None

Ah, the calming influence of Haagen Daz!

Hey, it was the same when newspapers first came out. You learn not to write everything you think and definitely not to post pictures of everything you do. Honestly, I don't feel threatened by the new transparency -- it works both ways -- but if you're out on disability for depression, yeah, might be smart not to have your picture taken out partying and PUT IT ON THE INTERNET FOR THE WORLD TO SEE. (Is there a disablity category for bad judgment and TMI?)

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5
    Socionics
    LoL

Quote Originally Posted by DiscoBiscuit View Post
    Tinfoil hat much?
    I've moved to lead. Much more durable.

Actually, there's so many stories like this out there now that the particular link I posted is nothing special, just another drop in the bucket, but I felt like taking the opportunity to write about the subject.

Filled out a job application for a franchise/retail/big corporation lately? Their 105-question psych evals make it clear that if you do not think in very particular thought patterns that match "accepted" patterns, you will not even make it in the door. Even robots would not have such a narrow margin of error in their AI subroutines...

I better think on this overnight. Off to ice cream land...

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

I really hate facebook, my livejournal is mostly "friends only", and my photos are locked to friends only on My Space

but, yeah, it's creepy - employers shouldn't be digging into people's personal lives like that, I know what you mean

Tinfoil hat much?
    apparently you don't realize how easy it is for, say, teachers to lose their jobs over pictures of them drinking a beer in a bikini posted on My Space

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTj

Yeah, it's a really lame story, esp. since she was taking the vaction because her doctor advised her to, to relieve the depression. However, that's how private insurance companies work (and that's also why I am not in favor of private health care and related).

It's worse with employers, because I feel like only my performance should matter on the job, not how I spend my time when I'm not there (unless I'm going against the law, of course).
    ENTj 7-3-8 sx/sp

Senor Membrane
    MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by Tiltyred View Post
    You learn not to write everything you think and definitely not to post pictures of everything you do. Honestly, I don't feel threatened by the new transparency -- it works both ways -- but if you're out on disability for depression, yeah, might be smart not to have your picture taken out partying and PUT IT ON THE INTERNET FOR THE WORLD TO SEE. (Is there a disablity category for bad judgment and TMI?)
    Maybe she thought that the people who were visiting did understand that you can be depressed and still make an effort to have fun once in a while. Is a depressed person supposed to be sitting in the bath with the razor twentyfourseven?

It isn't "transparency", transparency would mean that there is some truth you could see. If you admit to having different face at work than on your free time, there you have it. They see it as something black and white, like people are to be confined to the perfect worker image. It is not right for them to decide what I can or cannot do, that is if they are not willing to pay me for that. If they actually give me money, I might consider keeping myself up to their standards on my own time.

This kind of crap makes me never want to work again. Soon they want to have my soul too.

Oh, I can imagine where this is going to. I mean, it would be pretty easy to track me down here too. It wouldn't be a hundred per cent certainty, since I don't think I have my name here, but I do on another site, where I have published some of my art, and yeah, that is not a hundred per cent either, since it could be some other with the same name, and it is a long shot that someone would go through the trouble of finding the necessary connection to this place, but anyways, if someone would like to dig shit about me for some reason, I am sure you could easily quote something from here and take it out of context. Yeah, that would be nice. So, the whole reason for me to be here would be ruined since I wouldn't be able to think and talk freely anymore. Self-censorship, that is the future.

Mud and rain and chaos... TickTock's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w3

I would love a world strike. Ithe power is with the majority not some uptight psychotic corp.
    ~ Truth ~ Freedom ~ Health ~ Love ~ Communication ~ Humor ~ Respect ~