• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

How do you deal with layoffs and RIFs?

BlackCat

Shaman
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
When you get laid off, immediately apply to get unemployment and search for another job.

BlueScreen

Fail 2.0
MBTI Type
YMCA
Things like not giving out contact information or CC'ing other integral employees on emails to contractors and vendors so that they're in complete control of a process. Man, I learning so much!

This sort of stuff is really bad form and drives me nuts. I had a housemate who started going along these lines for control. Not sure what type. You can't be selective when it comes to integrity. It probably correlates better with dishonesty and narcissism than MBTi or management.

On the topic: I haven't been anywhere that has had big lay-offs yet, so not sure how I'd deal with them. Personally it wouldn't worry me a lot because I'd find a new job, but I'd be feeling for the others who went and it mattered to.

The_Liquid_Laser

Glowy Goopy Goodness
MBTI Type
ENTP
It is true that a job interview creates a scenario where people purposefully attempt to present fantasy as reality. They do this by claiming to have different personality qualities than they do in reality. In some sense, we could consider this an exercise in theatrics. Theater was your minor in college, was it not? On that account, why is it the case that you do not enjoy interviews because they give you an opportunity to function as an actor?

I don't like to mix fantasy and reality. When on stage everyone knows I'm an actor. When I'm in an interview I think the interviewer knows on some level that all the candidates are full of crap, but on some level they want to believe that they're not. It's sort of like politics in that sense.

BlueScreen

Fail 2.0
MBTI Type
YMCA
I think you can get away with being honest in an interview. The more I look at all this stuff, the more it seems that an honest transaction is best for both parties. I don't want them to hire me under false pretences because the job will be crap for me, and they want to know if they have the right person for the job.

proteanmix

Plumage and Moult
Enneagram
1w2
I think you can get away with being honest in an interview. The more I look at all this stuff, the more it seems that an honest transaction is best for both parties. I don't want them to hire me under false pretences because the job will be crap for me, and they want to know if they have the right person for the job.

I agree with you, but sometimes being honest in a job interview, i.e. "I love Excel!!" depends on how close your bank account is to $0.

BlueScreen

Fail 2.0
MBTI Type
YMCA
I agree with you, but sometimes being honest in a job interview, i.e. "I love Excel!!" depends on how close your bank account is to $0.

Yep, when in need the marketing steps in :). Though I seem to be able to keep it within truth. Obviously things like "your business is a sham and I'm just working for you because I need money" wouldn't need to come up in any interview. So selective truth.

Halla74

Artisan Conquerer
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I love the theatre of a job interview. It is like a blind date.

Ooooh! Agreed! :happy2:
I get a hard on whenever I have a job interview.
I love the questions...

"What is your best trait?"
I have a die hard positive attitude and am very persistent. I have always been able to produce exceptional work with the time and resources available.

"What is your worst trait?"
Historically my worst trait was being a perfectionist, but I have learned to mitigate that via finishing a deliverable with a quick but thorough forward pass and then re-visiting it with the remaining time before submitting it for review.

"Is there anything else you wish to tell us before we conclude this interview?"Yes. I think the project you are getting ready to embark on will benefit from my related prior experiences while affording me a chance to learn a few new things. I've always managed to apply the bulk of my career experience to my current endeavors. Tell me what you need done and when you need it, and I will give you something that you can work with, guaranteed. Thank you for your time; it was a pleasure meeting you. Feel free to call me if you wish to talk further or review additional samples of my work. It would great to work with you and to help your organziation make this project a success. Have a great day! :newwink:

FDG

pathwise dependent
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w8
You don't need to lie during an interview when you're already a potentially awesome employee:smoke:

Halla74

Artisan Conquerer
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
You don't need to lie during an interview when you're already a potentially awesome employee:smoke:

Very true.
My resume is 100% legit.

I can back up my role on every project I've worked on with deliverables.

Interviews are easy when your work speaks for you. :yes:

The suit, tie, shiny shoes, and pleasant conversation are then only for purposes of familiarity and personality confirmation.

avolkiteshvara

MBTI Type
YaYa
I got a strange pleasure from layoffs as well. Broke up the monotony of 9-5. Was confident I could do better. Was amusing to watch the sheep scatter in panic/fear. Unemployment benefits. Layoffs.............goood times.

Edgar

Nerd King Usurper
MBTI Type
INTJ
Instinctual Variant
sx
Like you say, it was interesting to note the differences among people. I was always disappointed by the politicking to improve survivability.

Any job where you are surrounded by other people is AT LEAST 50% politics, 50% actual work.

Anyone who thinks otherwise has a high likelihood of receiving a prolapsed colon. An ESFJ friend of mine argued with me that hard work outweighs any office politics by a large margin. Boy is his ass sore now...

Giggly

No moss growing on me
MBTI Type
iSFj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I got a strange pleasure from layoffs as well. Broke up the monotony of 9-5. Was confident I could do better. Was amusing to watch the sheep scatter in panic/fear. Unemployment benefits. Layoffs.............goood times.

Absolutely, I agree. Even though I'm SJ, I believe in a little chaos from time to time. It keeps us in forward motion, it keeps us sharp. Life would be too stagnant without it, like stinky, rotting water in a channel that doesn't ever get fresh water. You could change things yourself but even that is too controlled. Chaos is where it's at. That's where the real excitement and learning is.

yenom

Alexander the Terrible
Several years ago I worked in an industry where we had layoffs typically twice a year. I always enjoyed them in a bizarre way. It was exciting. I knew enough to realize that I could find another job and I knew also that the decision making was rather arbitrary so rather than worry about it, plan for it. Make contacts with other companies, save money, etc.

Like you say, it was interesting to note the differences among people. I was always disappointed by the politicking to improve survivability.

When the company announced they were closing our studio, rather than relocate, I asked to be laid off. I had already had a job lined up with a competitor starting the week after closure. So, I got a few months severance, double pay for the months leading to closure, and I transitioned in to a new job.

In my experience, banking on job security is a bad idea. It also taught me never to be loyal to a company. If you look at the leaders of any company, you will see they are less likely to be loyal as well.

The part that is annoying is that "caring" people act just as selfishly as "cold" people. Through every layoff, I've always been amused by how the "nice" people got the knives out when it came down to them or someone else. You could see them struggling with it, but at the end of the day all the niceness was just a veneer of convenience. Maybe that's why I enjoyed them.

I agree, you get fired being a loyal employee anyway. You might as well expand and look out for options, and work on increasing your own competence. The more you switch jobs and get fired, the more you get used to this kind of lifestyle, hence the more prepared you are when shit happens.