First 456

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sx/so
    Socionics
    SLE

Quote Originally Posted by FDG View Post
    You don't need to lie during an interview when you're already a potentially awesome employee
    Very true.
    My resume is 100% legit.

I can back up my role on every project I've worked on with deliverables.

Interviews are easy when your work speaks for you.

The suit, tie, shiny shoes, and pleasant conversation are then only for purposes of familiarity and personality confirmation.
    --------------------
    Type Stats:
    MBTI -> (E) 77.14% | (i) 22.86% ; (S) 60% | (n) 40% ; (T) 72.22% | (f) 27.78% ; (P) 51.43% | (j) 48.57%
    BIG 5 -> Extroversion 77% ; Accommodation 60% ; Orderliness 62% ; Emotional Stability 64% ; Open Mindedness 74%

Quotes:
    "If somebody asks your MBTI type on a first date, run". -Donna Cecilia
    "Enneagram is psychological underpinnings. Cognitive Functions are mental reasoning and perceptional processes. -Sanjuro

MBTI
    YaYa

I got a strange pleasure from layoffs as well. Broke up the monotony of 9-5. Was confident I could do better. Was amusing to watch the sheep scatter in panic/fear. Unemployment benefits. Layoffs.............goood times.

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Synarch View Post
    Like you say, it was interesting to note the differences among people. I was always disappointed by the politicking to improve survivability.
    Any job where you are surrounded by other people is AT LEAST 50% politics, 50% actual work.

Anyone who thinks otherwise has a high likelihood of receiving a prolapsed colon. An ESFJ friend of mine argued with me that hard work outweighs any office politics by a large margin. Boy is his ass sore now...
    Listen to me, baby, you got to understand, you're old enough to learn the makings of a man.

MBTI
    iSFj
    Enneagram
    2 sx/so

Quote Originally Posted by avolkiteshvara View Post
    I got a strange pleasure from layoffs as well. Broke up the monotony of 9-5. Was confident I could do better. Was amusing to watch the sheep scatter in panic/fear. Unemployment benefits. Layoffs.............goood times.
    Absolutely, I agree. Even though I'm SJ, I believe in a little chaos from time to time. It keeps us in forward motion, it keeps us sharp. Life would be too stagnant without it, like stinky, rotting water in a channel that doesn't ever get fresh water. You could change things yourself but even that is too controlled. Chaos is where it's at. That's where the real excitement and learning is.

Quote Originally Posted by Synarch View Post
    Several years ago I worked in an industry where we had layoffs typically twice a year. I always enjoyed them in a bizarre way. It was exciting. I knew enough to realize that I could find another job and I knew also that the decision making was rather arbitrary so rather than worry about it, plan for it. Make contacts with other companies, save money, etc.

Like you say, it was interesting to note the differences among people. I was always disappointed by the politicking to improve survivability.

When the company announced they were closing our studio, rather than relocate, I asked to be laid off. I had already had a job lined up with a competitor starting the week after closure. So, I got a few months severance, double pay for the months leading to closure, and I transitioned in to a new job.

In my experience, banking on job security is a bad idea. It also taught me never to be loyal to a company. If you look at the leaders of any company, you will see they are less likely to be loyal as well.

The part that is annoying is that "caring" people act just as selfishly as "cold" people. Through every layoff, I've always been amused by how the "nice" people got the knives out when it came down to them or someone else. You could see them struggling with it, but at the end of the day all the niceness was just a veneer of convenience. Maybe that's why I enjoyed them.

I agree, you get fired being a loyal employee anyway. You might as well expand and look out for options, and work on increasing your own competence. The more you switch jobs and get fired, the more you get used to this kind of lifestyle, hence the more prepared you are when shit happens.
    The fear of poverty turns people into slaves of money.

"In this Caesar there are many Mariuses"~Sulla

Conquer your inner demons first before you conquer the world.