User Tag List

First 1234 Last

MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by proteanmix View Post
    I'm wondering if the older people and directors who are typically the ones who feel invulnerable to RIFs (although I think this last one shook a few people), are resting on their laurels and coasting on past glory. I've noticed some of them bottlenecking information to create job security. Things like not giving out contact information or CC'ing other integral employees on emails to contractors and vendors so that they're in complete control of a process. Man, I learning so much!
    I can't and don't work for corporations. Too little control. In the past, though, I've noticed that I naturally build alliances and get to know people who might be able to help me in the event of a crisis. As soon as I start somewhere I try to identify the power centers and cozy up to them. I am very opportunity minded that way. I even go above my supervisors to establish direct links to protect myself. (I'm working on a book about workplace politics and how to survive while slacking)

People I see as weaklings I disregard because I know they simply can't be of any use to me. If I think they can be taught, I will try to help them, but some people just take a victim approach to life. Never asserting themselves, never looking out for their own interests because they were either too stupid or didn't seem to see the way things really are. Sometimes this attitude does not make me seem trustworthy to my coworkers, who perceive my naked self-interest, but they don't know what I know. And, they don't see how flimsy their bonds of work friendship are. I see my egocentrism as radically honest and forthright.

And watching what people are doing, I can't blame them. This is the definition of self-preservation and self-interest. I don't expect any sacrificial lambs to rise from the ranks and say "Take me! Spare them their jobs!" This is a period of time that is bringing out traits and characteristics in people that under better circumstances wouldn't be an issue. Maybe it's me, but saying just do good work and be a "good" employee is not saving people's jobs. I haven't reconciled what lengths one should go to to preserve their job and still remain honorable.

This may require a new thread so I'll split.
    The good work mentality is a slave mentality. No one in power subscribes to this.
    "Create like a god, command like a king, work like a slave."

MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by Tiltyred View Post
    I have armed myself against it as thoroughly as possible, I'm satisfied beyond a doubt about that. Now it's just a matter of que sera, sera. I'm thinking live it up on what's left of my 401k and then put a gun to my head.

Hey. At least I have a plan.
    Survival is cheap. You would be surprised how little I live on. But, this is because I keep things simple (and don't have children).

MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    ... no, there is no such thing as company loyalty.
    Loyalty to anything other than your close friends and family is a slave mindset.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    468 sx/sp
    Socionics
    EII None

Quote Originally Posted by Synarch View Post
    Survival is cheap. You would be surprised how little I live on. But, this is because I keep things simple (and don't have children).
    I lease a car and own a condo. I'd lose both.

Guess I may as well say I'm loyal to my boss and to my firm. If I were to be let go, I wouldn't hold it against them. I would think it could not have been helped, and we all have to bow to the inevitable.

I don't think it will happen, however. *knock wood*

MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by Tiltyred View Post
    I lease a car and own a condo. I'd lose both.
    Get a beater for 3k. Live somewhere else. I share a house for a few hundred bucks a month. We never own anything anyway. Go to a few estate sales and you will quickly realize this.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTj

Eheh, I've never been laid off so far (although I have worked relatively little, only part-time but 5 years in the same company), but I would say my general approach is: work as hard and as well as you can, get paid as much as you can rip off the company, care about its destiny if they're giving you a good salary, but don't give a shit when/if they're going badly. Basically, I think of it like a ship: if it's sailing quickly and in the right direction, it's better for me, too, so I try to do my best to achieve that. If I can't...I'll get down at the next harbor.
    ENTj 7-3-8 sx/sp

Enneagram
    4 so/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Synarch View Post
    Loyalty to anything other than your close friends and family is a slave mindset.
    I dunno if I'd go that far, but I do know I've never viewed my employment anywhere in terms of loyalty; I think I'm too selfish for that. In my last job I felt *bad* for leaving, as I really liked the people I worked with and did feel bad on some level for leaving the work for everyone else to do...but ultimately that didn't stop me and I never viewed it in terms of my ceasing to be 'loyal' to them...as I was never 'loyal' in the first place. A job is a job. There will always be others to keep the machine going.
    "...On and on and on and on he strode, far out over the sands, singing wildly to the sea, crying to greet the advent of the life that had cried to him." - James Joyce

My Photography and Watercolor Fine Art Prints!!! Cascade Colors Fine Art Prints
    https://docs.google.com/uc?export=do...Gd5N3NZZE52QjQ

MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by cascadeco View Post
    I dunno if I'd go that far, but I do know I've never viewed my employment anywhere in terms of loyalty; I think I'm too selfish for that. In my last job I felt *bad* for leaving, as I really liked the people I worked with and did feel bad on some level for leaving the work for everyone else to do...but ultimately that didn't stop me and I never viewed it in terms of my ceasing to be 'loyal' to them...as I was never 'loyal' in the first place. A job is a job. There will always be others to keep the machine going.
    This is what I've told past bosses: "Look, this is a transaction. Like dealing with a hooker. You pay me. I work."

Don't ask me for the girlfriend experience. Don't ask me to care. Because then I would have to lie.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    468 sx/sp
    Socionics
    EII None

What's the longest anyone's ever been at one job?

MBTI
    ENTP

I was a courier in college. I started in the warehouse then started driving. I was there 5 years through college and a year after. But, they had a tuition reimbursement program and I actually enjoyed running around. It seems to get progressively shorter.

5 years, then next I was at a place for 3 years, then a year, then 6 months, then 8 months, then a year, then 1.5 years. Now I work for myself.