User Tag List

12 Last

MBTI
    INTJ

Default Help!! Graduate Student in Distress (need direction) ....

Okay, so after my first semester of graduate school psychology, I have found something out about myself: I do not really like psychology as much as I thought I did. Unfortunately, I am stuck with this decision and will continue to the end hoping that this is just a phase, and not just desultory academic straggling.

I have found something else about myself: I always liked to read and write, regardless of the degree of creativity involved. I also am predisposed to think that communication is essential in any career or endeavor for that matter. This has led me to consider a b.a. and possibly an m.a. in English as well.

So, does anybody have experiences/advice with the matter? First hand or second hand, it makes no difference to me. I need expostulations, supporting thoughts/evidence, anecdotes, subjective criticism, objective criticism, career paths, and speculation; spare me no perspective, run the gamut. Dissuade or persuade me. Thank you, in advance.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5
    Socionics
    LoL

Decide what you want to do, then decide how best to get there. For best results, don't change your mind, choose something that you could do in all sorts of geographic locations, and pick something that will never lead to structural unemployment...
    "How can I be, all I want to be,
    When all I want to do is strip away these stilled constraints
    And crush this charade, shred this sad, masquerade"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qGeq5v7L3WM

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by speculative View Post
    Decide what you want to do, then decide how best to get there. For best results, don't change your mind, choose something that you could do in all sorts of geographic locations, and pick something that will never lead to structural unemployment...
    I was not going to change my mind, I was just considering concurrently enrolling in a b.a. curriculum for English. I just wanted some input on whether or not it's a waste of time; even some positives and negatives would help. Essentially, I will still finish with psychology and a specific concentration; this is not taking peripheral ventures into account .

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5

if you study something you hate, and end up working in the same field, chances are good you'll still hate it. some people like school, more, some people like working more. IME career types attract certain personality types like crazy, so if you hate your classmates, thats a big warning.

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Scott N Denver View Post
    if you study something you hate, and end up working in the same field, chances are good you'll still hate it. some people like school, more, some people like working more. IME career types attract certain personality types like crazy, so if you hate your classmates, thats a big warning.
    I absolutely abhor my classmates. I dislike their unimaginative ambitions, their manners, even their ways of communicating. It's like an institution full of robots, constructed for forced realization of cloned goals. My only recourse in this institution is to the constructors, of course. Their responses are mostly unsatisfactory, as you can imagine. I desire creativity and a broader range of application.

MBTI
    INTJ

So, what about those who actually are/were English majors? Any insight?

MBTI
    INTP

I have an MA in English, but am not sure what you want to know. Anything in particular?

Do you have an idea of what area of English you'd like to focus on? Writing? Literature? Do you want to teach?
    Something Witty

MBTI
    enfp

yeah, most ppl are clones in the graduate dept's.

but u need the credentials to make your own path

and don't forget, ur professors made a living on following previous schools of thought. they are invested in no change while u are a grad student.

study, finish, and once u get ur own credentials, you can make your own school of thought. using english literature or whatever other synthesis of cultural psychology to set new paradigms in psychology. what matters in the end, is how many ppl you help. even if you have to bypass your professors approval and go directly to the people with books or watever. good luck.

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sx/so
    Socionics
    SLE

Quote Originally Posted by WithoutaFace View Post
    Okay, so after my first semester of graduate school psychology, I have found something out about myself: I do not really like psychology as much as I thought I did. Unfortunately, I am stuck with this decision and will continue to the end hoping that this is just a phase, and not just desultory academic straggling.

I have found something else about myself: I always liked to read and write, regardless of the degree of creativity involved. I also am predisposed to think that communication is essential in any career or endeavor for that matter. This has led me to consider a b.a. and possibly an m.a. in English as well.

So, does anybody have experiences/advice with the matter? First hand or second hand, it makes no difference to me. I need expostulations, supporting thoughts/evidence, anecdotes, subjective criticism, objective criticism, career paths, and speculation; spare me no perspective, run the gamut. Dissuade or persuade me. Thank you, in advance.
    My .02. If you are in a Master's Prograsm, then you'd better know what the hell you are interested in. If it doesn't matter to you, then you are in the wrong degree.

I took 10 years off between my B.S. in M.I.S., and after working for the government for 4 years relaized I wanted a Master's in Public Administration. I love my program. I wouldn't trade it for any other.

So, before you invest the serious time/money/effort in to a graduate degree that you have no passion for, reassess your desires.

ANSWER THIS: "What do you want to do after you graduate?" Your degree should give you theknowledge and opportunity for internships to get there.

Finally, why would you get a B.A. in English if you alreasdy have a bachelor's degree? That's foolish. If you want to pursue English/writing that much, get a dual Master's, or just get a M.A. in English.
    --------------------
    Type Stats:
    MBTI -> (E) 77.14% | (i) 22.86% ; (S) 60% | (n) 40% ; (T) 72.22% | (f) 27.78% ; (P) 51.43% | (j) 48.57%
    BIG 5 -> Extroversion 77% ; Accommodation 60% ; Orderliness 62% ; Emotional Stability 64% ; Open Mindedness 74%

Quotes:
    "If somebody asks your MBTI type on a first date, run". -Donna Cecilia
    "Enneagram is psychological underpinnings. Cognitive Functions are mental reasoning and perceptional processes. -Sanjuro

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5

I absolutely abhor my classmates. I dislike their unimaginative ambitions, their manners, even their ways of communicating. It's like an institution full of robots, constructed for forced realization of cloned goals. My only recourse in this institution is to the constructors, of course. Their responses are mostly unsatisfactory, as you can imagine. I desire creativity and a broader range of application.
    So, what about those who actually are/were English majors? Any insight?
    I faced in mnay ways the inverse of your situation. I was an INFP in physics grad school NTJ/INTJ hell. I didn't hate my classmates, I'm too NF for that, but I sure didn't like or feel comfortable with many of them.

It's funny, we have an INTJ at work who started as an english major and switched to physics. As I recall, he hated most of his peers as well.

I want to reemphasize, the kinda schoolmates that you have, well if you find a job in the same field its gonna be pretty much exactly the same kinda people working there as you had in school. So if you really hate these people that much, well I'd say you should find greener pastures elsewhere.