• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

What type is actually suited to physics research?

BlueScreen

Fail 2.0
MBTI Type
YMCA
I've been thinking about this for a few days now. When working with today's funding schemes and results driven environment, which type is actually suited to physics?

I know good reasons for NTPs to run for the hills. I've heard ENTJs don't really like certain aspects. As an ENFP I just survive and go nuts. Most Ns I know have endless gripes, but I thought this was an N dominated field.

If you are a happily working physicist who is in your dream job doing research, what type are you?

EcK

The Memes Justify the End
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
i'll go all theoretical on you but i'd say istp, intp, intj and entp

BlueScreen

Fail 2.0
MBTI Type
YMCA

:). Some put us on that list also. Personalitypage has science/eng for INTJ, INTP, ENTP, ENFP. But I don't trust their job lists. Most list it as an ENFP trap, because we are good in the area, but it brings no real fulfilment.

Maybe they like to complain about work. It just doesn't seem like it is as much the dream job for NTPs as I'd expect it to be.

thinkinjazz

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enfp's: advertising, media journalism, art therapy (i.e. dance, music, prob not art art), photography, teaching in a democratic setting (college classes), think tank, nay?

Economica

Dhampyr
MBTI Type
INTJ
My INTJ brother is a physicist who enjoys what he does (in the "it's the most comfortable way for me to make a living" kind of way, not in the "my job is my life" kind of way). As I understand it, he does theory with an eye toward application. He recently handed in his first patent application. <dollar-eyed smiley goes here>

Scott N Denver

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
I've been thinking about this for a few days now. When working with today's funding schemes and results driven environment, which type is actually suited to physics?

I know good reasons for NTPs to run for the hills. I've heard ENTJs don't really like certain aspects. As an ENFP I just survive and go nuts. Most Ns I know have endless gripes, but I thought this was an N dominated field.

If you are a happily working physicist who is in your dream job doing research, what type are you?

A topic that I have NOOO experience on :whistling: :whistling: :whistling: :whistling: :whistling: :whistling:

As I've written in numerous other threads, physics is MASSIVELY INTJ dominated, IME. I'd estimate 75%. Next most common, ENTJ's and INTP's for different reasons. Definitely not F territory.

In college and grad school, there were the types listed above. It's school. In my work experience, its often turns into the question of "who ISN'T an INTJ???" Physics research is often done alone, or MAYBE in a small group. SO definitely I [not E] territory. Kinda pie in the sky, so N. T is self -explanatory [work alone, don't need to deal with other people, esoteric topics], and J is always helpful in work environments.

I've also seen in small numbers: INTP, ISTP, ENTJ, ESTJ.

Te is totally the way physics is. If you want Ti "theoretical completeness" go into math. Not sure how Ni ties into work, its not like they tell me about it [or anything else for that matter]. Ne, I don't see much use for that either, IME. Make funny jokes???

In short, physics, especially in research/workplace is INTJ as snot.

ygolo

My termites win
I am trying to transition into physics, so I hope my type will do OK.

So far, I like it better than engineering.

Engineering is very Chart-the-Course...INTJ is probably the most over-represented. ISTJ is probably the most common type, followed by ISTPs (both over represented). Certainly are INTPs, and ENTPs. They seem over-represented as well.

So what is an INTP to do? Most technical fields seem replete with Te types. Frankly, Te seems like it would be dominant in most work situations.

Physics seems like the most theoretical, after mathematics...and historically, many NTPs are there among the Nobel laureates. Since many of the modern physicists don't have books relating their thought processes an personal experiences, like Feynman and Einstein, yet, it is hard to guess their types.

Really, as fun as math is...I think original discoveries in mathematics are really hard to make. It seems like people struggle for years studying mathematical objects without yielding anything truly original and fruitful...just catalogs, computer visualizations, applications, and that sort of thing. Physics seems easier in this respect.

I suppose I can become an applied mathematician instead.

BlueScreen

Fail 2.0
MBTI Type
YMCA
I am trying to transition into physics, so I hope my type will do OK.

So far, I like it better than engineering.

Engineering is very Chart-the-Course...INTJ is probably the most over-represented. ISTJ is probably the most common type, followed by ISTPs (both over represented). Certainly are INTPs, and ENTPs. They seem over-represented as well.

So what is an INTP to do? Most technical fields seem replete with Te types. Frankly, Te seems like it would be dominant in most work situations.

Physics seems like the most theoretical, after mathematics...and historically, many NTPs are there among the Nobel laureates. Since many of the modern physicists don't have books relating their thought processes an personal experiences, like Feynman and Einstein, yet, it is hard to guess their types.

Really, as fun as math is...I think original discoveries in mathematics are really hard to make. It seems like people struggle for years studying mathematical objects without yielding anything truly original and fruitful...just catalogs, computer visualizations, applications, and that sort of thing. Physics seems easier in this respect.

I suppose I can become an applied mathematician instead.

The NTPs I've known in physics are amazing. ENTPs seem brilliantly visionary, INTPs are the like the encyclopaedia I can go to for answers. The work environment seems not quite right for either though. I'm not sure what it is. I'd be interested in the views of INTPs and ENTPs who are already in the area. I think it is more about the workplace than the subject matter.

Scott N Denver

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
IME, NTP's go for theory [Ti, Ne], and NTJ's for experimentalists.

IN math proofs were always A implies B implies C implies D etc implies theorem, it was all right there in front of you.

I can't count the number of times I've heard physics talk like "imagine that you [in situation such and such] and now think about it from angle [such and such], now with that, and a little bit of math, you can show that [such and such]. "Suggestive proofs" or some such title.

Oh, for the record, I have a BS in math and physics, MS in physics, and came close to getting a PhD in applied physics. I went to several schools, and have worked in several research labs.

BlueScreen

Fail 2.0
MBTI Type
YMCA
IME, NTP's go for theory [Ti, Ne], and NTJ's for experimentalists.

IN math proofs were always A implies B implies C implies D etc implies theorem, it was all right there in front of you.

I can't count the number of times I've heard physics talk like "imagine that you [in situation such and such] and now think about it from angle [such and such], now with that, and a little bit of math, you can show that [such and such]. "Suggestive proofs" or some such title.

Oh, for the record, I have a BS in math and physics, MS in physics, and came close to getting a PhD in applied physics. I went to several schools, and have worked in several research labs.

Cool, I have honours (Australian thing (four year)) degrees in Engineering (ECSE) and Science (Physics) and got half way through a PhD in physics. I do what you said with the physics talk. Seeing the solution is all about perspective and approach. I sit well between theoretical and experimental too.

My main gripe is the restriction from really exploring and the limited human interaction. I don't like doing fine technical proofs either, more working with ideas and seeing solutions. There's a bit of a push to be structured and planned in research too, and ENFP structure and approach isn't really on the list. My last boss was awesome because he would just say what he wanted and accept the output at the end (normally a description of the whole system so he could understand it). There was none of this progress stuff making sure I was approaching it Si style. It still drove me nuts because I was interacting with ideas and computers too much rather than people though.

KarliJoanne

MBTI Type
ISFP
my boyfriend is an experimental physics grad student and he LOVES it. A lot. He's an ISTP.

INTPness

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
The work environment seems not quite right for either though. I'm not sure what it is. I'd be interested in the views of INTPs and ENTPs who are already in the area. I think it is more about the workplace than the subject matter.

I'm not in physics, but I was thinking this exact thing before you posted it. I've dabbled in Physics and other hard sciences (and I love math and economics - usually, the "mathy" part of it), and I know that I could do well in Physics if I applied myself - that is to say that I know I could do well in the subject area itself.

The workplace, as you mention, is where it sometimes gets difficult for INTP's. Indeed, it is a whole different issue from the subject matter. I have learned something about myself in recent years. I do not enjoy structure of any kind when it comes from someone else. If we impose some sort of structure on ourselves, that's OK, but we don't want to be on someone else's agenda. We're not 9-to-5 types.

At one point, I was going to get my Ph.D. and do research for the rest of my life because I thought it would fit me well, but I absolutely cringed at the idea of "being institutionalized" - being a part of the big university where I was expected to do A, B, and C in order to be a considered a good boy. If I'm "expected" by someone to do A, B, and C then I naturally start looking at X, Y, and Z. It's hard to explain. I think it's an innate need to be "original" or something. We want to do our own thing. Set our own rules. Be free of expectations and boundaries imposed by others. Our boundaries, or the territory that we wish to operate in and study/investigate are usually larger and wider than one single subject or some idea or box that someone may choose to put us in. We are all over the map, so to speak and any attempt to limit that freedom can sometimes feel suffocating for us.

Most INTP's could be competent in the field of Physics. Just like with any other "job", however, they will often find themselves feeling limited or confined within a year or two. And that's not about the "physics". It would be the same as an economics researcher, a chemist, a math researcher, etc.

I believe, that for me anyways, I was born to be an entrepreneur. It provides the vast freedom that I desire and the most room for pure creativity. Not creativity within the confines of an institution or the confines of my bosses expectations, but true creativity where there are very few limitations to what I can dream up and attempt to do. I even thought about becoming a researcher in the field of Business Admin/Entrepreneurship, but that's the same thing (to me) as being a physics researcher. It limits my scope, narrows the fields in which I can operate, and it puts a boss (or a system) over me. I don't want any part of it.

Of course, entrepreneurship presents its own challenges for the INTP - namely that we think it would serve us well in business to be more outgoing like our ENTP kin. Still though, I'd rather fight through that/learn to overcome it when necessary and have the freedom to explore and create that I desire than to be confined to "one field". After 2 years in any one "field" or "job" that I've ever worked in, I was already over it and ready for something new and exciting. Many entrepreneurs/CEO's, contrary to popular belief, are actually introverted anyhow. Social misfits? Sometimes. But we're also very resourceful and good at finding new and innovative avenues to carry out what we want to do (if we really want to do it in the first place).

ygolo

My termites win
I thought about entrepreneurship for a while, but I am definitely more of a lab gnome than a people person.

If I could be an entrepreneur who had someone else to be "the face" of the company (any volunteers?), and still someone else to handle the accounting (I can do it but I wouldn't like it), I think I would like it.

I'll likely end up as a post doc doing research in physics, instead. I am sort of OK with that. I'll just rent a cheap place, and have cereal, and sandwiches for my meals...and marry some who doesn't mind that, or makes good money herself.

INTPness

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
If I could be an entrepreneur who had someone else to be "the face" of the company (any volunteers?), and still someone else to handle the accounting (I can do it but I wouldn't like it), I think I would like it.

I believe this is the exact reason that most INTP's don't go into entrepreneurship. These are obstacles that can be overcome though. You can hire a great people person to help you with creating a "face" for the company. And you can hire an accountant. But, of course, it's not for everyone.

I'll likely end up as a post doc doing research in physics, instead. I am sort of OK with that. I'll just rent a cheap place, and have cereal, and sandwiches for my meals...and marry some who doesn't mind that, or makes good money herself.

ENTJ's? Ladies? Anyone want to date my friend ygolo? :cheese:

Martin997

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
i love physics... while admittedly i dont know alot about the technical stuff... not yet... but the concept of physics and the understanding that comes with it and the fact how little we know about it and how much there is to discover and all those theories, patterns in the universe... oh GOD YES!!!!

BlueScreen

Fail 2.0
MBTI Type
YMCA

I don't know about the US, but post-docs here make quite good money. If I didn't need the people part, academic would have been a good career.

sLiPpY

MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx

Most ISTP I've met love to talk about quantum mechanics. It's very "odd"

:huh:

Scott N Denver

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
I don't know about the US, but post-docs here make quite good money. If I didn't need the people part, academic would have been a good career.

I've seen 30k-65K depending where you post doc, national labs and military labs being at the upper end of that range.

Scott N Denver

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Most ISTP I've met love to talk about quantum mechanics. It's very "odd"

:huh:

Hmm, I have yet to meet an ISTP who likes talking about QM, and my last place had 2 of them,, one earning a masters and the other already had a PhD.
Personally I avoid said topic like the plague, unless it comes up some other way or I am cracking sad pick-up lines with it [like say at work when we are joking around, NOT in bars and stuff]