User Tag List

12 Last

Results 1 to 10 of 20

  1. #1

    Default What type is actually suited to physics research?

    I've been thinking about this for a few days now. When working with today's funding schemes and results driven environment, which type is actually suited to physics?

    I know good reasons for NTPs to run for the hills. I've heard ENTJs don't really like certain aspects. As an ENFP I just survive and go nuts. Most Ns I know have endless gripes, but I thought this was an N dominated field.

    If you are a happily working physicist who is in your dream job doing research, what type are you?
    Freude, schöner Götterfunken Tochter aus Elysium, Wir betreten feuertrunken, Himmlische, dein Heiligtum! Deine Zauber binden wieder Was die Mode streng geteilt; Alle Menschen werden Brüder, Wo dein sanfter Flügel weilt.

  2. #2
    The Memes Justify the End EcK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    738
    Socionics
    ILE None
    Posts
    7,265

    Default

    i'll go all theoretical on you but i'd say istp, intp, intj and entp
    Expression of the post modern paradox : "For the love of god, religions are so full of shit"

    Theory is always superseded by Fact...
    ... In theory.

    “I’d hate to die twice. It’s so boring.”
    Richard Feynman's last recorded words

    "Great is the human who has not lost his childlike heart."
    Mencius (Meng-Tse), 4th century BCE

  3. #3

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by EcK View Post
    i'll go all theoretical on you but i'd say istp, intp, intj and entp
    . Some put us on that list also. Personalitypage has science/eng for INTJ, INTP, ENTP, ENFP. But I don't trust their job lists. Most list it as an ENFP trap, because we are good in the area, but it brings no real fulfilment.

    Maybe they like to complain about work. It just doesn't seem like it is as much the dream job for NTPs as I'd expect it to be.
    Freude, schöner Götterfunken Tochter aus Elysium, Wir betreten feuertrunken, Himmlische, dein Heiligtum! Deine Zauber binden wieder Was die Mode streng geteilt; Alle Menschen werden Brüder, Wo dein sanfter Flügel weilt.

  4. #4
    Senior Member thinkinjazz's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Posts
    248

    Default

    Enfp's: advertising, media journalism, art therapy (i.e. dance, music, prob not art art), photography, teaching in a democratic setting (college classes), think tank, nay?
    Holy sh**t a talking muffin!

    All shotguns and lace.

  5. #5
    Dhampyr Economica's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Posts
    2,054

    Default

    My INTJ brother is a physicist who enjoys what he does (in the "it's the most comfortable way for me to make a living" kind of way, not in the "my job is my life" kind of way). As I understand it, he does theory with an eye toward application. He recently handed in his first patent application. <dollar-eyed smiley goes here>

  6. #6
    Senior Member Scott N Denver's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5
    Posts
    2,899

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by noigmn View Post
    I've been thinking about this for a few days now. When working with today's funding schemes and results driven environment, which type is actually suited to physics?

    I know good reasons for NTPs to run for the hills. I've heard ENTJs don't really like certain aspects. As an ENFP I just survive and go nuts. Most Ns I know have endless gripes, but I thought this was an N dominated field.

    If you are a happily working physicist who is in your dream job doing research, what type are you?
    A topic that I have NOOO experience on

    As I've written in numerous other threads, physics is MASSIVELY INTJ dominated, IME. I'd estimate 75%. Next most common, ENTJ's and INTP's for different reasons. Definitely not F territory.

    In college and grad school, there were the types listed above. It's school. In my work experience, its often turns into the question of "who ISN'T an INTJ???" Physics research is often done alone, or MAYBE in a small group. SO definitely I [not E] territory. Kinda pie in the sky, so N. T is self -explanatory [work alone, don't need to deal with other people, esoteric topics], and J is always helpful in work environments.

    I've also seen in small numbers: INTP, ISTP, ENTJ, ESTJ.

    Te is totally the way physics is. If you want Ti "theoretical completeness" go into math. Not sure how Ni ties into work, its not like they tell me about it [or anything else for that matter]. Ne, I don't see much use for that either, IME. Make funny jokes???

    In short, physics, especially in research/workplace is INTJ as snot.

  7. #7
    No Cigar Litvyak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    1,787

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Scott N Denver View Post
    Te is totally the way physics is.
    Agreed.

  8. #8

    Default

    I am trying to transition into physics, so I hope my type will do OK.

    So far, I like it better than engineering.

    Engineering is very Chart-the-Course...INTJ is probably the most over-represented. ISTJ is probably the most common type, followed by ISTPs (both over represented). Certainly are INTPs, and ENTPs. They seem over-represented as well.

    So what is an INTP to do? Most technical fields seem replete with Te types. Frankly, Te seems like it would be dominant in most work situations.

    Physics seems like the most theoretical, after mathematics...and historically, many NTPs are there among the Nobel laureates. Since many of the modern physicists don't have books relating their thought processes an personal experiences, like Feynman and Einstein, yet, it is hard to guess their types.

    Really, as fun as math is...I think original discoveries in mathematics are really hard to make. It seems like people struggle for years studying mathematical objects without yielding anything truly original and fruitful...just catalogs, computer visualizations, applications, and that sort of thing. Physics seems easier in this respect.

    I suppose I can become an applied mathematician instead.

    Accept the past. Live for the present. Look forward to the future.
    Robot Fusion
    "As our island of knowledge grows, so does the shore of our ignorance." John Wheeler
    "[A] scientist looking at nonscientific problems is just as dumb as the next guy." Richard Feynman
    "[P]etabytes of [] data is not the same thing as understanding emergent mechanisms and structures." Jim Crutchfield

  9. #9

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ygolo View Post
    I am trying to transition into physics, so I hope my type will do OK.

    So far, I like it better than engineering.

    Engineering is very Chart-the-Course...INTJ is probably the most over-represented. ISTJ is probably the most common type, followed by ISTPs (both over represented). Certainly are INTPs, and ENTPs. They seem over-represented as well.

    So what is an INTP to do? Most technical fields seem replete with Te types. Frankly, Te seems like it would be dominant in most work situations.

    Physics seems like the most theoretical, after mathematics...and historically, many NTPs are there among the Nobel laureates. Since many of the modern physicists don't have books relating their thought processes an personal experiences, like Feynman and Einstein, yet, it is hard to guess their types.

    Really, as fun as math is...I think original discoveries in mathematics are really hard to make. It seems like people struggle for years studying mathematical objects without yielding anything truly original and fruitful...just catalogs, computer visualizations, applications, and that sort of thing. Physics seems easier in this respect.

    I suppose I can become an applied mathematician instead.
    The NTPs I've known in physics are amazing. ENTPs seem brilliantly visionary, INTPs are the like the encyclopaedia I can go to for answers. The work environment seems not quite right for either though. I'm not sure what it is. I'd be interested in the views of INTPs and ENTPs who are already in the area. I think it is more about the workplace than the subject matter.
    Freude, schöner Götterfunken Tochter aus Elysium, Wir betreten feuertrunken, Himmlische, dein Heiligtum! Deine Zauber binden wieder Was die Mode streng geteilt; Alle Menschen werden Brüder, Wo dein sanfter Flügel weilt.

  10. #10
    Senior Member Scott N Denver's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5
    Posts
    2,899

    Default

    IME, NTP's go for theory [Ti, Ne], and NTJ's for experimentalists.

    IN math proofs were always A implies B implies C implies D etc implies theorem, it was all right there in front of you.

    I can't count the number of times I've heard physics talk like "imagine that you [in situation such and such] and now think about it from angle [such and such], now with that, and a little bit of math, you can show that [such and such]. "Suggestive proofs" or some such title.

    Oh, for the record, I have a BS in math and physics, MS in physics, and came close to getting a PhD in applied physics. I went to several schools, and have worked in several research labs.

Similar Threads

  1. What type is most prone to shyness?
    By discoverhiddenjules in forum Myers-Briggs and Jungian Cognitive Functions
    Replies: 53
    Last Post: 06-13-2015, 12:41 PM
  2. What type is most likely to be drunk?
    By Speed Gavroche in forum Myers-Briggs and Jungian Cognitive Functions
    Replies: 38
    Last Post: 03-31-2015, 01:40 AM
  3. What type is best suited for dealing with reality?
    By Lily flower in forum Myers-Briggs and Jungian Cognitive Functions
    Replies: 42
    Last Post: 10-19-2011, 02:19 PM
  4. What type is most likely to fall in love?
    By Mole in forum Myers-Briggs and Jungian Cognitive Functions
    Replies: 45
    Last Post: 06-30-2008, 12:14 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO