User Tag List

12 Last

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/so

Default what would you do?

keep a job you love even though it's commission based which means sometimes the pay is really really sad...or take another job that would be fine that would pay well but brings you zero personal/ creative satisfaction.

i have turned down other offers but...i'm starting to feel really stupid about it....but...but...i love my job.
    There can’t be any large-scale revolution until there’s a personal revolution, on an individual level. It’s got to happen inside first.
    -Jim Morrison

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sx/so
    Socionics
    SLE

You need to eat.

Find another outlet for your creative energy.

I make music on my home computer, DJ in my den, draw pictures with my kids, and lots of other simple things to let out my creative energy.

Sure, I wish I were paid to be a full time bodybuilder/DJ, but that hasn't happened yet, so I'm not putting all my fish in one basket.

If it's just you, then you have more flexibility, but at some point, a little stability is a good thing, as it lets you think about things other than if you are going to be able to pay your bills next week.

Does that make any sense?

I wish you fun and luck and happiness!

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/so

thanks alex...you're right...damn it.
    There can’t be any large-scale revolution until there’s a personal revolution, on an individual level. It’s got to happen inside first.
    -Jim Morrison

You know I agree with Alex, you're better off finding an alternative outlet for your creative urge. The cash and sex theory (I know you've read it, for others, read it here).

With more money you'll feel free to create in the spirit you see fit.

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sx/so
    Socionics
    SLE

Quote Originally Posted by Lady X View Post
    thanks alex...you're right...damn it.
    The same demon has taunted me in my life, be sure of it! I understand your frustration, and I feel for you. Sometimes it is necessary to bifrocate our creativity from our livelihood. It is not ideal, and should not be done permanently, but more times than not I can look at my career and say "That was some nifty problem solving I pulled off, I sure did wrap it nice and make it look pretty too!" BUT few are the times when I have said "Yes! That was inspiring, fun, and an obvious step toward self actualization...and I got PAID for it!"

Being creative is like being fun. If you are either of the two, then you know. All you do will be fun, all you do will be done as creatively as possible. These are modes of existence, not temporary attitudes.

Quote Originally Posted by wolfy View Post
    You know I agree with Alex, you're better off finding an alternative outlet for your creative urge. The cash and sex theory (I know you've read it, for others, read it here).

With more money you'll feel free to create in the spirit you see fit.

Wolfy! You find some seriously creative reference material. I'm always impressed. Keep it up, Brother!

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6
    Socionics
    ENFp

If you aren't dying for money it's not a big deal. Commission jobs are going to be difficult right now, because no one is guaranteeing you money, but if you love it I would stick with it. Even people in jobs where they are being guaranteed money (salaries) are losing their jobs. I had a lame commission job (2% at a bath store) but I LOVED it. I wouldn't mind finding another commission job that I love.

You can't always get the type of job you love, I wouldn't knock it if you actually are stable financially.

Quote Originally Posted by Halla74 View Post
    Wolfy! You find some seriously creative reference material. I'm always impressed. Keep it up, Brother!
    Cheers for that!

You know, X...
    You don't always have to move all the way out of your field. My passion lies in strength but the bread and butter in coaching is mostly in body composition. Because of the need to adapt to the other when you are getting paid, there will always be a trade off.

If you separate the two, one you welcome the trade off in exchange for cash and the other you do solely for yourself, you never know, the one you do for yourself could take off.

And even if it didn't at least you had fun.

MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    9w8 sp/sx

I'd go with commission based. In that they sky is the limit, but you also need to be able to earn enough to save for the "sad" times.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/so

thanks for the responses guys. i appreciate it.

i'll think some more on it.
    -Jim Morrison

MBTI
    iSFj
    Enneagram
    2 sx/so

Great thread. Lady X, for me it really helps to have a job that pays enough to live but is low on the stress factor. A brutally honest self-assessment of what stresses you out in a job is a good idea. If you can find a job that pays the bills but won't stress you out so much that that you can be emotionally and physically functional enough when you are off work to focus on the things you really love to do, then you'll be in better shape.