• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

what would you do?

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
keep a job you love even though it's commission based which means sometimes the pay is really really sad...or take another job that would be fine that would pay well but brings you zero personal/ creative satisfaction.

i have turned down other offers but...i'm starting to feel really stupid about it....but...but...i love my job. :(

Halla74

Artisan Conquerer
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
You need to eat.

Find another outlet for your creative energy.

I make music on my home computer, DJ in my den, draw pictures with my kids, and lots of other simple things to let out my creative energy.

Sure, I wish I were paid to be a full time bodybuilder/DJ, but that hasn't happened yet, so I'm not putting all my fish in one basket.

If it's just you, then you have more flexibility, but at some point, a little stability is a good thing, as it lets you think about things other than if you are going to be able to pay your bills next week.

Does that make any sense?

I wish you fun and luck and happiness!

:hug:

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
thanks alex...you're right...damn it. :(

wolfy

awsm
You know I agree with Alex, you're better off finding an alternative outlet for your creative urge. The cash and sex theory (I know you've read it, for others, read it here).

With more money you'll feel free to create in the spirit you see fit.

image9869.jpg

millionaire-artist.jpg

Halla74

Artisan Conquerer
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
thanks alex...you're right...damn it. :(

The same demon has taunted me in my life, be sure of it! I understand your frustration, and I feel for you. Sometimes it is necessary to bifrocate our creativity from our livelihood. It is not ideal, and should not be done permanently, but more times than not I can look at my career and say "That was some nifty problem solving I pulled off, I sure did wrap it nice and make it look pretty too!" BUT few are the times when I have said "Yes! That was inspiring, fun, and an obvious step toward self actualization...and I got PAID for it!" :happy2:

Being creative is like being fun. If you are either of the two, then you know. All you do will be fun, all you do will be done as creatively as possible. These are modes of existence, not temporary attitudes. :yes:

You know I agree with Alex, you're better off finding an alternative outlet for your creative urge. The cash and sex theory (I know you've read it, for others, read it here).

With more money you'll feel free to create in the spirit you see fit.

image9869.jpg

millionaire-artist.jpg

Wolfy! You find some seriously creative reference material. I'm always impressed. Keep it up, Brother! :nice:

Laurie

Was E.laur
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
If you aren't dying for money it's not a big deal. Commission jobs are going to be difficult right now, because no one is guaranteeing you money, but if you love it I would stick with it. Even people in jobs where they are being guaranteed money (salaries) are losing their jobs. I had a lame commission job (2% at a bath store) but I LOVED it. I wouldn't mind finding another commission job that I love.

You can't always get the type of job you love, I wouldn't knock it if you actually are stable financially.

wolfy

awsm
Wolfy! You find some seriously creative reference material. I'm always impressed. Keep it up, Brother! :nice:

Cheers for that!

You know, X...
You don't always have to move all the way out of your field. My passion lies in strength but the bread and butter in coaching is mostly in body composition. Because of the need to adapt to the other when you are getting paid, there will always be a trade off.

If you separate the two, one you welcome the trade off in exchange for cash and the other you do solely for yourself, you never know, the one you do for yourself could take off.

And even if it didn't at least you had fun.

sLiPpY

MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I'd go with commission based. In that they sky is the limit, but you also need to be able to earn enough to save for the "sad" times.

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
thanks for the responses guys. i appreciate it. :)

i'll think some more on it.

Giggly

No moss growing on me
MBTI Type
iSFj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Great thread. Lady X, for me it really helps to have a job that pays enough to live but is low on the stress factor. A brutally honest self-assessment of what stresses you out in a job is a good idea. If you can find a job that pays the bills but won't stress you out so much that that you can be emotionally and physically functional enough when you are off work to focus on the things you really love to do, then you'll be in better shape.

Halla74

Artisan Conquerer
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Don't forget the prospect of dating/marrying a rich, stupid man!!! :yes:

Doing so will COMPLETELY ELIMINATE the need for any job whatsoever, and you will be free to frolic in artisticness to your heart's desires... :newwink:

If I refer you to one you have to get him to buy me a nice motorcycle, or new SCUBA equipment. Deal? :whistling:

BlueScreen

Fail 2.0
MBTI Type
YMCA
keep a job you love even though it's commission based which means sometimes the pay is really really sad...or take another job that would be fine that would pay well but brings you zero personal/ creative satisfaction.

i have turned down other offers but...i'm starting to feel really stupid about it....but...but...i love my job. :(

As an ENFP, don't take a job that drains you with the hope of feeling good outside it. In my experience it drains you and you recover between working. Sends you a bit nuts also. I'm not sure about you, but my concentration levels and ability correlate well with my interest in things. If you have the job you love, keep it and move up or find a way to move to better salary in a similar area.

If the job won't drive you nuts but you don't get much out of it maybe consider it, but don't sell out your interests for it. Look at what gets you enough to live well, but also moves you toward where you want to be in the future.

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Don't forget the prospect of dating/marrying a rich, stupid man!!! :yes:

Doing so will COMPLETELY ELIMINATE the need for any job whatsoever, and you will be free to frolic in artisticness to your heart's desires... :newwink:

If I refer you to one you have to get him to buy me a nice motorcycle, or new SCUBA equipment. Deal? :whistling:

alex! this was your advice to amarigith too wasn't it!? i think i'm offended.
no really...i tried the not working bit before it's not very satisfying thanks though.

As an ENFP, don't take a job that drains you with the hope of feeling good outside it. In my experience it drains you and you recover between working. Sends you a bit nuts also. I'm not sure about you, but my concentration levels and ability correlate well with my interest in things. If you have the job you love, keep it and move up or find a way to move to better salary in a similar area.

right...i need to just find a way to still do the same work but get paid more...thanks, i almost just went to find something else today

Charmed Justice

Nickle Iron Silicone
MBTI Type
INFJ

Commission based. I absolutely love working off of commission. Just thinking about it gets me excited. The sky is the limit, and the rewards are immediate. If you're starving and in desperate need of money, def take another job, but you've gotta love your job. I do, at least. But if it's just a matter of immediately moving up a pay scale, meh, I wouldn't be inspired to quit something I love just to get more money. Work needs to=play for me, or I will hate my entire day.

Amargith

Hotel California
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4dw
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
no really...i tried the not working bit before it's not very satisfying thanks though.

right...i need to just find a way to still do the same work but get paid more...thanks, i almost just went to find something else today

I agree with the other ENFPs. Do a job you love. You're lucky to have found one..I'm still looking *sigh*
It's so fucking tiring to do a job that you just don't see the point of. And the financial security just isn't worth it, for me at least. Of course, I kinda have my own safety net, so it's easy to talk that way.

And yes, Alex did suggest the 'marry-well' plan too to me :D
And, I agree with you, it's not very satisfying as you wanna be able to take care of yourself. Though, I'm sorta semi in that situation (I contribute but not as much as I'd like), and it's not all bad. Helps to have an SO who does so coz he loves you and not coz he wants to hold it against you. And, it gives you a ton of free time to study and get the education you need to get a job that can provide for both satisfaction and financial needs :D

Halla74

Artisan Conquerer
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so

Darling, that's my advice to EVERY single woman asking for options as to how to plan her future. :yes:

Everyone wants to find the person of their dreams, and by Jehoosafat there is nothing wrong if they happen to be LOADED. :newwink:

So don't be offended, please. At least I'm consistent. :devil:

Who said you couldn't work? You'd just have the option NOT to work if you ever wanted to CHILL and regroup your energy to fine tune your life.

See! It's just a matter of perspective. :happy: :hug: