User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    ENTP

Exclamation Is college really a place for learning?

I'm a 1st year at Ryerson, Canada for Fashion Design (4-yr program)
    Despite its self-proclamation as being best fashion school in Canada, I hate their program to death.

1st year, the foundation year, is "trying" to get us into working in a certain method. I have already passed this stage. I already know the best way I work. Yet they force us into the generic method that works for the majority. Therefore, very little is gained through the coursework. I tried these methods ages ago in high school, and I scrapped it b/c it didn't work for me.

As a result, I do half ass job on every assignment, rather school work is interrupting my real self studies. Therefore I'm passing at the bare minimum (i think) except for few courses.

I expected University/College to be a place of learning. Right now, it is preventing me from learning.

Of course some aspect of the program are quite essential (though I don't fully enjoy or understand always) but still, it's not worth the time and money I invested.

What is being taught is very shallow and so are the people.

This is worse than high school. At least high school gave me time to do my studies. University seems to enforce their methods and rob all of student's free time, to do REAL studies.
    Shouldn't education be more of a guide?
    and none of this bureaucratic crap?

Only redeeming factor so far is the connection school provides. Everything else are disappointments after disappointments.

This has to be the most pessimistic post I ever made

any thoughts? or anyone who felt/gone through a similar situation?

Of course this varies per major and my limited knowledge/experience in post secondary schools makes my post a biased one. So feel to correct me.

Phantonym

I agree with you. I've found over the years that going to the university hinders my learning. It's like an automated line where the end goal is only to pass the courses. Well, maybe I just have too high expectations of a university being a place of inspiration and although there are some wonderful professors, it all gets lost in the process and for the moment it's turned out to be a stifling influence. I can't wait to get out of school to actually start enjoying learning again. That's something positive at least. Oh, it's not that bad really, considering that I'd rather go to school than work.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5

I think there tends to be a lack of depth in interactions [usually you only have a given prof for a semester], and it definitely has a certain "conveyor belt"/degree factory feeling. With that said, I personally learned a lot in college, but I was also a math and physics double major. I read a LOT on my own, eastern philosophy for example, yet found the available courses on that subject painfully inadequate.

Like many things in life, what you get out of it is approximately equal to what you put into it. Many people do "major in beer, pizza, and women", as the saying goes.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTj

Yeah, Colleges and Universities often have large libraries. That's where you can learn.
    ENTj 7-3-8 sx/sp

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

No, it's a place where you get the OPPORTUNITY to learn. If you knew absolutely nothing about the subject to start with, wouldn't you agree that it would give you an idea of where to start? Historically, information wasn't as accessible as it is today, and having access to a university was mostly valuable because it gave you access to their libraries and professors. It wasn't really about the classes (though those were held to give people the basics) so much as independent study and collaboration with other people who understood the field. The emphasis on the actual classes came later.

But honestly, the whole point of college these days is what High School used to be. Basically, to prove that you're:

1. Not completely incompetent.
    2. Were able to procure a route to college.
    3. Can understand on a very basic level what you're doing.
    4. Can perform well consistently enough to meet the criteria for grades and a diploma.

Perferably with other things on your plate like extracurricular activities. The assumption is that once you've proven that, you'll have to build on your education yourself through experience to actually understand the subject. College is about proving your ability to meet other people's expectations consistently, not understand the subject. They just don't say that because it would sound too arrogant if they said it outright.

But the fact is, it does tend to weed out people who can't figure out how to get things done, and employers like that because they don't want to waste time with people who struggle to get things done.

I wish I'd known that earlier, then I would have started planning for college in high school. But the teachers made college sound so challenging/competitive that I was discouraged from trying. Ironically, it was probably intended to psyche me up for the challenge, but it had the opposite effect.

MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    1w9

Colleges/universities in Finland are meant for diligent people with an average skillset. That is, they don't do learning on their past time, but are willing to put countless hours in studying at colleges/universities. So it's a place for people who are dedicated to studies, not for people who know what they want and how to get it.

But besides learning, there are other opportunities as well:

- Networking with similar people
    - Having new projects that are given to you with deadlines... so you'll have to work through them even if your motivation would be below zero.
    - Finding opportunities to work
    "The present is theirs; the future, for which I have really worked, is mine."
    -Nikola Tesla

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTj

Quote Originally Posted by Habba View Post
    Colleges/universities in Finland are meant for diligent people with an average skillset. That is, they don't do learning on their past time, but are willing to put countless hours in studying at colleges/universities. So it's a place for people who are dedicated to studies, not for people who know what they want and how to get it.

- Having new projects that are given to you with deadlines... so you'll have to work through them even if your motivation would be below zero.
    I agree 100% (the attitude is similar here in Italy)
    ENTj 7-3-8 sx/sp

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    SLI None

Quote Originally Posted by Habba View Post

I disagree. I'd agree to this only in certain colleges.

I'm in college and I know exactly what I want and college is just one way to get it. It helps a lot. I'm not there to study. I'm there to become what I want to be.

For example: Someone wants to become a doctor to help people. You can't be a doctor without going through medical college. You'd be sent to court if you perform a surgery without a medical degree.

So, yea... Your statement works with only certain colleges.

Glowy Goopy Goodness The_Liquid_Laser's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP

I think this must depend on what courses you take. I got a degree in Math and I learned plenty. My minor was in Theatre and I also learned plenty there, but not in the conventional way. The normal Theatre courses really didn't teach much, but I was also required to work on every play they were putting on (either on stage or behind the scenes), and this experience actually taught me a whole lot. I think the quality of the education must be based on what courses you are taking and what your major is in.
    My wife and I made a game to teach kids about nutrition. Please try our game and vote for us to win. (Voting period: July 14 - August 14)
    http://www.revoltingvegetables.com

MBTI
    INTP

College is about learning.
    It is also about jumping through hoops.
    And drinking with your fellow students.